Can you recommended a fighting game where combos don't seem "manufactured"?

Whenever I play ranked, player match, or watch tournament footage I usually see players using the same staple combos over and over again with their respective characters.

It’s as if the movelist has been constructed in a way in which the developers are over your shoulder saying “this launcher leads to this string” or “this combo should be done this way the get the most damage”. It’s hard to get my point across as I’m just basing this solely on feeling. I guess you can think about it this way: take the street fighter alpha series for example; you would often find yourself saying "wow! That combos into that?"or “Wait what did I just do?!” In the middle of a game And then you’d immediately head into training mode and start throwing moves together.

It felt like you were making your OWN combos and kind of crafting your own play style. Then you’d watch high level players and it would blow your mind even more because you’d start seeing things you haven’t thought of or seen before.

Are there any fighting games (new or old) you’d recommend that would give you this feeling?

Wrong section, new person. Ask in newb dojo—it’s at the top of the forum main page. You could also try the Current Fighting Game sub-forum or Classic Fighting Game sub-forum. Might have some luck in those.

https://archive.supercombo.gg/c/newbie-saikyo-dojo

https://archive.supercombo.gg/c/fighting-games

https://archive.supercombo.gg/c/classic-fighting-games

General discussion is for everything non-fighting game related. Though we do talk about them sporadically through random threads they are not the focal point or purpose of General discussion.

Have fun.

1 Like

Moved to FGD.

No i can’t because those combos are done due to optimization over long periods of play. They do the same combos because they have the highest pay out. Every game works this way be it fighters, shooters, rts or Moba, players will always optimize.

4 Likes

You will probably have the biggest luck with this in Hyper or Anime fighter.
Marvel vs Capcom, Blazblue, Under Night in Birth, Guilty Gear, Melty Blood, Dragonball fighter Z, Persona 4 Arena and Blazblue Cross Tag Battle.

My friend, you have no idea… Ever since Blazblue, combos have grown and grown to the face of “the skill of the game”. The fact is, they aren’t. At the point you’re doing a combo, you’re hitting a wooden board at that time and it’s something you know how to do. The enemy isn’t gonna hit you back. They can’t. And unfortunately, a lot of people are blind to this.

Guilty Gear use to be all about that and while you still can, it’s become far less effective to make up stuff. They were short and sweet enough back in the day. Now, the game kind of encourages you abuse the mechanics more than focuses on neutral or doing anything new in general. However, you still can. Even so, you’d need to work wayyyy harder than the people who play and abuse the game’s half assed mechanics.

For the most part though? Fighting games have made a terrible, terrible turn to “appeal to new players who didn’t” know how to play fighting games since I guess it’s unfair that they have to work just as hard as anyone else to get where they need to be.

1 Like

What a total load of horse shit. None of that crap is remotely true aside from a want to appeal to new players, but the rest of that post is completely wrong. Being able to set up and execute a combo properly is absolutly a skill set, one of the most important in fact and combos have been long as fuck long before BlazBlue was an itch in ASW’s underoos.

3 Likes

For Scrubquotes you missed the door, turn around, walk down the hallway, last door to the right.

Have a good day.

1 Like

I felt a large degree of freedom with KOFXIII’s HD combos. Marvel 3 especially had a large degree of freedom with it’s combos, but I feel like KOFXIII’s HD system allowed for a lot of freedom while still keeping the game traditionally grounded. It allowed for player expression without becoming oppressive to the opposing player.

LOL at calling XIII “traditional” when the game’s shitty hitboxes, lack of good anti-airs outside of flash kicks/DP, and gutted movelist made it one of the least “traditional” playing KOFs ever made.

XIII actually fails at keeping KoF fundamentals and keeping the game grounded because of the above issues. Most basic example would be checking hops with Kyo’s 5A. In KoF games with good fundamentals such as 98 and XIV, normals such as Kyo’s 5A stop hops cold. Not in XIII however due to how bad its hitboxes are.

1 Like

I didn’t say it was a traditional KOF. I was saying it was a traditional fighter. There’s no air dashes. There’s no assists. There’s no screen-scrolling super jumps. Etc. It’s a lot more Street Fighter than it is Marvel, yet it’s got the same level of combo freedom that you get from an anime fighter. That was the whole point. I wasn’t saying it was the pinnacle of KOF-ness or anything like that.

Also damn man, every game has its faults, but I honestly feel bad for anyone who couldn’t enjoy KOF13. The lack of any game that feels even remotely like it this gen (or SFxT 2012) has really made me unable to get into anything lately.

Except KoF’s movement options put it in a different league from SF and other, traditional grounded fighters. Especially when you have a game like XIII that leaves them unchecked. XIII isn’t really a grounded game, it’s just that hops have replaced IADs with how good they are in that game.

KoF XIII is one of the wackest King of Fighters games with barely any fundamentals. Not only does it shit the bed at balance, having a decent roster, and giving character complete move lists, but it also reduces game to yolo trades that often lead to death combos and looks like oversaturated new age anime shit. You would have to be a subterranean dweller or a Capcom fan to appreciate the garbage SNK Playmore put out to recoup costs on one of the dumbest and most expensive production processes in the history of fighting games.

Your being pedantic for no fucking reason.

3S has short hops.

Confirmed not a real street fighter.

3 Likes

Tekken 7 has elements of this. The game has a relatively defined combo structure, but for a lot of the cast there’s a lot of on-the-fly adjustments that have to be made during the combos due to distance from walls, angles, if you’re off-axis, against backturned opponents, etc.

1 Like

It seems like these tendencies for manufactured combos grew as the popularity of CRT TV shrink.

With a CRT TV you got instant feedback as to whether you got the timing of the combo hits right or not.

However now that CRTs are no longer manufactured, you just can’t organically feel the combo.

Now you have to “lead the combo”. And to know where your moves were intended or not, you have to be given them, and then shown the results.

Now you have to be taught the system. It’s like Killer Instinct 1 where we had a very specific system and if you didn’t know it you were just giving off isolated hits.

another weird think about the tutorials is it gives you all the moves and shows you what it looks like when it’s done but doesn’t give you any timing cues of what you’re supposed to do when. You just told the moves and practice them until you get them right.

And I’ve also got issues about sloppiness of the joystick. It’s Street Fighter 2 when I had my right-handed fightstick I can pull off specials like nobody’s business. Left-handed I’m either predictable and telegraphing or I misfire when I go quicker. It makes combos too easy as far as the joystick is concerned.

I think the most interesting fighting game you would like Eternal Champions CD.

Eternal Champions CD (or Eternal Champions, the prequel for Genesis) is basically the anti-combo fighting game. I think literally every single move will not lock you into receiving a combo, you can actually do something about it Except for one character, Jetta, as one of her second level special powers.

It is good in other ways too.

First of all you can’t just Spam specials all day you will limited by a special meter called inner strength.

Second, taunting is actually practical move and not just teabagging. it leaves you open and exposed for hits but if you’re able to say your word in time you drain some of your opponent’s inner strength. But don’t abuse that, or else Your inner strength will deplete faster than your opponent’s with each of your taunts.

Thrid, the specials are really powerful and distinct and varied, like in Mortal Kombat, yet different characters have different speeds, attack speeds, attack power. endurance, jump patterns, etc more like Street Fighter.

But there’s one problem inEternal Champions one for the Genesis. It seems like about 90% of the matches have 20 seconds or less on a 99 second timer. and about 70% of matches end in time out victories going to whoever has more energy, especially against the CPU in quest mode.

Eternal Champions CD fixed that by slowing down the time, but user the same 99 seconds. Number of rounds that end in knockouts are significantly higher, but not ludicrously slow where Quailman tactics (stick and move, block and counter) becomes no longer useful, like Mortal Kombat, where the literally the only times I had time decisions were against bosses, where that was the only way I COULD win.

The beautiful thing (or ugly thing if you hate it) about Eternal Champions is you can always block after any hit, or you could sneak in the right counter and turn a defensive barrage block into an offensive barrage.

There are combos, but they’re not manually generated. It’s basically a special move that just looks like a combo. you don’t type additional buttons after that. It automatically goes.

What a a bunch of fucking nonsense.

6 Likes

RadientSilvergun The topic question was asking for a game without “manufactured combos”. I think Eternal Champions fits that description perfect. Literally everything being an isolated, blockable hit is so the opposite of “manufactured combos”

Is my description of “no ture combo” in EC accurate, meaning if you get hit, you’re not just waiting for your opponent to either finish or mess up, you can either block the second hit and maybe sneak a counter hit.

Is only one “basic combo” per character, a that’s just a special that just looks like a combo, or an automatic combo? Does Jetta have as a “double power combo move”?

It seems like if a fighter doesn’t follow a certain formula, it’s automatically junk. Also if a joystick is used on a non fighting game, it’s a waste of joystick use life.

You can feel free to hate it. But I am trying to give a correct answer for a fighting game without manufactured combos. I felt the “system exclusives” Killer Instinct and Eternal Champions we t in polar opposite directions . And Killer Instinct invented manufactured combos.

BTW, Street Fighter 2 combos were a byproduct of the fighting engine, not a deliberate ingerdient you “sell a game on”.

I… I dont get you, but please… Continue. As far as I remember, EC1 on Genesis, does NoT has combos, but it has multihitting moves, that ironically, do not combo. They can be blocked after the 1st hit.