Can you recommended a fighting game where combos don't seem "manufactured"?

Exactly right. The question was a fighting game without engineered combos. EC, and EC2 is the ANTI-Combo fighter. And having no combos at all does qualify as not having engineered combos. Unless you define engineering as guaranteeing a chance to block and or counter every hit.

If you hate overly engineered combos, (except for one automatic combo per character and one special combo for one character) make a stand against combos, period.

In Street Fighter 2, there were some small combos, and other “barragges” that are blockable in the middle but could be misbocked, and a misblocked barrage is just as goiod as a true combo.

Also being unable to spam specials all day and taunts that affect special meters (not supers, specials) and giving you the option to block or counter (if you predict right) makes it more of a thinking man’s fighter.

Online remake or sequel, maybe the intended Saturn release? (Cuing “Trouble trouble trouble…”)

Now I understand what you meant. No offense, but (like me) English is not your native language?

Edit: On and off topic. I hate this recent trend of FGs. Not all of course. But SFV and MK11 are the worst offenders. If you DONT play by the framedata, or how they intended the game to be, you lose. Simple as that. You cant be cocky anymore, or have umeshoryu srk reads, etc.

I guess by TripleT’s logic Bushido Blade, Kiai Resonance, and I guess Nidhog are games that don’t have combos at all, so there isn’t any manufactured combos.

By getting rid of combos entirely, you don’t have any manufactured combos. This man is A GENIUS!

4 Likes

Don’t forget Divekick, a fighting game where a round is won by first contact, or controlling the center if time runs out.

If a round winner is determine by a single hit, and combos require plural hits, then no plural hits means no combos, therefore no manufactured combos.

I had to find a plural hit game without combos, because single hit games like Divekick are too obvious.

We’re supposed to be trying to guide the original poster, looking a fighting game without manufactured combos, to find such a game.

If you think combos are a required ingredient for a fighter game, or else it’s not a fighter, either you’re too elitist, or I’m trying to politically correctly acknowledge differently abled games by calling them fighting games.

(It’s like asking if Wheelchair Basketball considered Basketball, or if Miniature Golf is considered Golf? The realistic answer is: for some purposes, yes, for others, no.)

So OP:. What qualities do YOU consider essential in your custom brew of fighter? You think manufactured combos leave a bitter okay experience. Maybe can narrow it down.

And detractors, whether you hate it personally is not the issue. We’re playing matchmaker, not advertising agency.

Which fighting games are you talking about?

1 Like

Dragon Ball FighterZ, Skullgirls, Marvel vs. Capcom, Blazblue, Guilty Gear, and King of Fighters have pretty flexible combo systems.

1 Like