Cammy Match-Up Discussion: Zangief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQT5QQwul1Y

Yeah only EX Divekick beats cr.lp,thats why I was standing there and beat it with st.mp and st.hp,because only EX Divekick will beat it.

Really thanks a lot for the guidance and tips provided @SunTzu81 , i appreciate it, is really helpful for me as this MU is hard especially dealing with gud giefs that know cammy’s Stuffs, and lose patience as cammy will get myself killed, i notice that giefs is more harder to deal with birdies lol, for my experience :smiley:

[quote=“DevilJin_01, post:41, topic:179046”]

[/quote]

yeah gud thing for that,but is not very consistent unless he spam jab close, st.mp is okay button for dealing with it too but need far range or gud timing or else u will get jabbed xD

Yeah @Cipher , gud idea for that, was spending time in lab,focusing how to deal with gief jab, st.mp work alright,but for st.hp it depends, i don’t think st.mk is a good button for this MU as he can V-skill on reaction and SPD i guess?

It’s mainly a counter poke tool. You just use it to stop over abuse of the jab and can also counter poke a lot of his other longer standing buttons should he choose to switch up.

yeah, is a good counter poke tool for that situation, especially the giefs who love to play lame to abuse and spam jab whole day, i think it works well on other of his buttons as well?

[quote=“DevilJin_01, post:41, topic:179046”]

[/quote]

Honestly I never tested b+mp for a number of reasons but no offense all I see is you getting hit and him getting hit randomly. This isn’t something you can do on reaction or anticipate. No gief I play is stupidly pushing the jab like that. If you showed a video where it beats it clean then I’d be like ok that’s legit. It’s like people saying you can react to Chuns IALL’s with jab. Yeah in training when it’s obvious, try doing it in a match consistently. I just don’t see this working, but if you show me a match where you b+mp a giefs jab into TC SA i’ll be giving you mad props.

Are you whiff punishing or counter hitting his jab?

If I hit Zangief I either get a hit or counterhit.
If he presses a lot jab I usualy look for a spot and press mp/hp. Of course there’re exceptions,the last Zangief I played went total balls after a while and I was totaly confused and lost the match.

Anyways, I usualy fix my range and use mp to counterpoke him, I get more normal hits than counterhits probably 70/30. So I probably whiffpunish them more. But it varies a lot. I had one match were I got only counterhit messages, it depends highly on your opponents buttonpresses.

I still take a Zangief over another boring match against the 10000th Ryu, at least good Zangiefs are fun to fight.

yeah still st.mp is okay for beating his jab at least we got CH if hit, and fighting giefs is much more fun than against ryus( especially plasma footsies,neutral jump, annoying lag dashes and so on), i hate fighting ryus lol

Am I losing my mind or has Zangief always been able to punish a blocked st mp, st hp with lp SPD? This was a go to for me to blow up mashing jab, and now it loses unless you jump or dash back after it seems but both those options get blown up by st hk. Are we not able to use st hp in a string anymore in this match up? Is this one of the changes with the forward movement hit boxes on whiff?

Thing to note for Season 2. Since are B+MP is +1 on block now we can do cr lp, B+mp if we block his v-trigger(unless he has CA) instead of the cr lp, cr lp xx SA to punish. Before if you did b+mp and mistimed it and they blocked you were in a really bad position at -2.

How minus is Gief after that “fake vtrigger” on block? Where he just pulls you in but does not hit you.

yeah there’s literally no reason you should respect that VT thing. At all. And you can basically input it on block or fake mix-up. Because on block you’re in blockstun anyway so nothing will come out

Yup, I just mash jab whenever he pulls me in. There is a meaty VT setup though…

Off of what?

I don’t understand a thing about Gief so I’ll just post a video on meaty VT

Carups correct me if I’m wrong but I think this guy practiced these wrong. He set the dummy to wake up cr lp with Karin, but no one is pushing a button on their wake up when they see Gief spinning. You are going to just block and then when you do he is at least -3 to punish. I thought there might be a meaty setup that allowed him to suck you in, block and then be +, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here. This is just allowing him to pull you back in on a wake up, but he is unable to grab you from this state only hit a normal as you’re still in block stun from the v-trigger. The only exception to this is the bear grab one that leaves him at 0 after, but you can still jab him first. His CA is still a threat in these positions, but I think that is why most of these don’t give massive meaty advantage until after an EX move so they can’t be +12 and still CA. In those situation it does allow him to do up to a headbutt in advantage, but requires perfect timing and you not to quick rise for it to work.

So I’m thinking to just block and then hit jab, B+mp, TC for the most part. While there are times you can jab him out before the block it should only be attempted when he activates off blocked moves or raw and not on wake up.