Calling all Sky Pirates - Tron UMvC3 Team Building Thread

Optimal role on team: Point character

Due to the system and character changes, Tron’s role on a team has been limited to mostly point or bust. That said she can still be a very effective point character in the right hands and with the right assists backing her up. In nearly all cases it is highly recommended you back Tron up with assists that will allow her to extend her combos as she dishes out damage and builds meter. This is not to say she’s completely helpless by herself, but to maximize her value you will want to look to put her on point and backed up accordingly. Keep in mind this will not be easy, but like (almost) any character with the right tools she can work and reward you as a valuable member to your team on point. However it is best to note that due to the nerf to Gustaff Fire’s invincibility Tron does not necessarily feature assists that will properly benefit your other team mates. Gustaff Fire has gone from amazing to decent and Bandit Boulder is still an ok option in the right situation.

Useful Assists and Teammates

BFF Tier

[details=Spoiler]
Sentinel

As Assist: You will want to use the Drones (Charge) assist with Sentinel to extend her combos. This is arguably the best assist you can give Tron as most of her combo extensions revolve around this and it provides good cover in general as one of the best assists in the game. Be wary outside of combos you MUST cover Sentinel as he calls the drones otherwise they will not only be destroyed, but he will potentially die a quick death.
As Teammate: With Plasma Sphere Sentinel offers a good DHC option to Tron if needed and more importantly his assist works well with just about any team. The drawbacks to Sentinel are of course his health, hit box, and slow normals, but overall he is one if not the best team mate to back Tron up with and hits like a tank when used on point. If you’re already committed to overcoming the hurdles of learning and maining a character like Tron picking up Sentinel shouldn’t be too great a task. Bonus points for Color 6 which despite being famously coined Mango Sentinel by IFC Yipes I like to refer to as Servbot Sentinel.

Frank West

As Assist:: Overall Frank’s Shopping Cart is one of the best assists in the game and like most assists in this tier will work with anyone. It will keep your opponent on notice and is very hard to hit Frank out of. There is really not much else to say here as explained in the next section.
As Teammate: Tron and Frank were made for each other in this game. As displayed by Tron user branespload in the combo/video thread she can get Frank leveled up to 5 in just one combo. At levels 4 and 5 Frank West becomes just about one of the best characters in the game with good damage, great normals, and better mobility. However, keep in mind Frank at level 1 is not much, but can still be okay should you land a hit and get to level 2 or higher. With his slide and launcher you still have options depending on your other team mate to level him up, but it might be a rough ride. You need to realize that as well as Frank and Tron work together he arguably needs her more than she needs him. Still you can’t go wrong with a well timed shopping cart call. You main goal when using a DHC lies in the ability to level Frank up more than strictly damage output.

Dante

As Assist: Jam Session will be your most likely choice here to back up Tron. It not only offers the benefits of being a combo extender, but the pillar will keep your opponent either off of Tron should you be getting rushed down or stuck in a corner to deal with her pressure and mixups. Once again, like the other 3 listed thus far this assist offers great flexibility for any team so though you are building a team specifically around Tron you will not have much to worry about in regards to making Dante work with the team. Weasal Shot’s OTG capabilities make it a solid choice as well, but once again this will be a matter of preference.
As Teammate: Dante is arguably a top 3-5 character in the game and like Doom it’s hard to go wrong with putting him on your team. He has fantastic normals, great mobility, teleports, and the ability to pull off some really devastating combos. Be aware though the learning curve on some of these combos may be overwhelming at first and due to changes in Ultimate you can no longer spam the hammer like you once could. For DHC options Million Dollars remains one if not the best in the game for that purpose and with the ability to mash can still be really good as a combo ender for damage. Bonus points for the fact that Million Dollars and Dante in general offers Frank West a great way to level up should you already have him on your team.

Doctor Doom

As Assist: With Doom you have two options, Hidden Missiles is the go to choice for lock down in this game and can provide the same type of combo extension seen with Drones. However Doom also offers a very solid beam assist in Plasma Beam. Depending on your third character you will want to pick accordingly, but all in all you really cannot go wrong. Like Sentinel, Doom needs to be protected but his missiles are generally going to hit if he gets them off.
As Teammate: Doom is widely considered not only a top 10 character in the game, but one of the most complete. He is comfortable in any role on a team whether it’s point, assist, or anchor and his j.S is one of the most useful normals in the entire game. His presence on your team will not just benefit Tron, but most likely your third character as well. For DHC options his Sphere Flame and Doom’s Time should work, but be careful of the leniency input potentially causing accidental Doom’s Time instead of Sphere Flame. All in all, If you can get down his air mobility you have yourself an amazing team mate for both Tron and your third character.[/details]

Good tier

Spoiler

Vergil

As Assist: You will want to use Rapid Slash in this instance as it not only provides a good overall assist for Tron in general, but functions in a Clakey D ender. Of the right call Tron has the ability to go straight into a combo and do her thing. Though not as good as the ones listed above it can be a devastating assist used properly and can help Tron extend her combos
As Teammate: Vergil can DHC into anything he wants off of Tron’s hypers and benefits himself from Tron’s ability to build meter. He has some of the best normals in the game and is widely considered a top 15 character in the game. Vergil’s biggest drawback is he can eat a lot of meter really quick due to his Devil Trigger and Swords as tools for getting for, but adjust your game plan and you should do fine. Fortunately Vergil is versatile enough to still work well with the likes of Sentinel, Dante, and Doom who will potentially already be on your team.

Another/expanded take by Rikir: Basically Rapid Slash will give you whatever combo you want with Tron. Vergil can naturally very easily combo after a DHC into Spiral Swords/Devil Trigger from either Tron’s Servbot Surprise or Lunch Rush. The thing is however, you would never need to. Two Servbot Surprises with Tron will do more damage than whatever Spiral Sword loop Vergil can do. You almost never need to DHC into Vergil since Tron can handle the kill by herself. Thats not to say that Tron/Vergil wont get awesome combos however. Tron as a partner for Vergil is a little subpar since her assists dont offer much for him, Bonne Strike is probably the best for him since it at least offers some lockdown. DHCing from Vergil to Tron is also a little tricky, you have to carefully time your hypers or you just flat out miss.

She Hulk

As Assist: Your best assist here is going to be Torpedo since it allows you to OTG and not worry about whether or not you’ve used your ground bounce. Because of this you actually give yourself many more opportunities than you normally would to not only change of up your combos, but extend them in a variety of ways. By hitting the opponent low She Hulk actually creates some more pressure and mix up options for Tron however be wary there is no real way to protect her during it.

As Teammate: It seems only fitting that two of the biggest nerfed characters in Ultimate would work so well together, but it is what is. Tron has the ability to set up an outstanding reset for She Hulk to land her air grab super which of then can lead to even more damage. By hard tagging in She Hulk after an air Beacon Bomb and then utilizing the super you can catch the opposing character as they air tech. Perhaps the biggest weakness to placing She Hulk on your team is that she, like Tron, is best backed by assists and on point. However, there are some pretty great rewards to having She Hulk back Tron that may just outweigh the risks if you work at it.

Strider

As Assist: It goes without saying, but Vajra is the best assist in the game probably without question. Where Akuma’s Tatsu, Sentinel’s Drones, and Doom’s Missiles are also very good Vajra just seems broken at times. So that’s good news for you should you run Strider on your team. Vajra will allow Tron to keep the pressure on by preventing any unsafe super jumps and just overall locking down the opponent. It is very hard to punish Strider during this assist as the opponent is generally forced to either take the hit or block so there’s an added bonus of not really having to protect Strider on your assist call compared to other assists. The only thing to keep in mind is following up Vajra’s hard knockdown state can be difficult for Tron to follow up on if she’s too far away. Treat it like an air throw and you should be good to go, but if you’re unable to dash over fast enough don’t get trigger happy pushing buttons.

As Teammate: Let’s cut right to the chase, Strider is hands down the best anchor in the game. The cost to get him the meter necessary to run Ouroboros is much easier than attempting to get Dark Phoenix and with XF3 he becomes close to impossible to block with it. Tron has the ability to easily help him gain the meter as a battery and from there it’s probably lights out for your opponent. The only thing to really look out for is he does not do a ton of damage outside of X-Factor compared to other anchors and he has just 750K health, but like said in the assist section it’s a small price to pay for such a great reward.

Nova

As Assist: With Nova’s Centurion Rush M you can extend or finish your combos with a Beacon Bomb into Hyper of your choice as it ground bounces the opponent. You’re not going to be doing your typical Clakey D enders with this so keep that in mind, however it still works very effectively for setting up the ending to Tron’s combos. The other positive to this assist is that it is one of the few crossover assists in the game to hit overhead creating very good mixups for Tron in her rushdown. Centurion Rush L is not a bad choice either as Nova flies across the screen horizontally and will cause a wall bounce on hit, however he is by no means invulnerable during this and the M version is just overall more useful for Tron.

**As Team Mate: **Nova is an extremely hard hitting character with very good Hypers to DHC into after a successful Tron Hyper. He’s probably best used on point and backed by assists as well, but so are many characters so this is a minor gripe towards him. The biggest issue with Nova is probably his red health gimmick and that’s mostly it. This is more of getting used to his character than it is Tron so really if you want to use him just learn to be smart about it and you’ll be just fine.

More coming soon

Okay tier

Spoiler

Chun Li
As Assist: Your obvious choice here is Lightning Legs as it not only provides an annoying lockdown assist to help Tron keep pressuring the opponent, but also functions in the Clakey D ender. Some people have said that it has lost some of its’ priority, but I personally have not tested this so be cautious. Due to the fact it has a lot of hits though be wary of hit stun deterioration when transition to a combo after it lands.
As Teammate: The main question you have to ask yourself regarding Chun Li and the biggest reason she’s only “Okay” is simply she’s not a good character. This might seem strange to hold against someone when building a team for Tron, but you really have to ask yourself how much work you’re really willing to put in a on team featuring two characters presently considered bottom 5-10 on the tier list. She is one of the hardest characters in the game to learn without as much reward compared to other characters considered execution heavy. To some this might not be much of a hurdle, but at the end of the day it just might not be worth it to others. Should you be willing to put the time in though Chun does have really good DHC options with Tron and as stated above a very useful assist.

more coming soon

Notable and/or Recommended Tron Teams

Tron (Fire) / Dante (Jam Session) / Sent (Drones)

Explanation by Keranata

Spoiler

was my team in vanilla and in my opinion the best Tron team by a significant margin. In ultimate you should replace fire with boulder assist which is surprisingly good to help Dante continue pressure and this is still in my opinion her best team. These two assists each allow Tron to control space, pressure/mixup, convert random hits, and continue combos in ways no two other combination of assists allow. If you lose Tron, Dante+Sent has incredible synergy and can still give you a much better chance to win than any other combination of her other great assists. If you can DHC her out either by a combo DHC to Dante when she’s low or by bigman to devil trigger, boulder assist allows Dante to have even better pressure and mixups as well as a really nice DHC from guns to lunch rush. The team DHC’s all work in any order which allows you to spend as much meter as needed to kill. Overall this team is as perfect as a Tron team can be.

Tron (Fire) / Frank (Shopping Cart / Dante (Jam Session)

Explanation as well as video

[details=Spoiler]This is also a very good all around team involving Tron as it provides not only a very good method to get to Level 5 Frank easily should you land a single combo from Tron, but also is backed by a fantastic assist in Jam Session. This is not the only form of this team as Drones can also be utilized here, but overall Jam Session might just be better in the long run as Dante is a much better character than Sentinel as well. To support this view the following (also posted in the video topic)

[media=youtube]Pcm7qJU645g[/media][/details]

More coming soon

Tron (Fire) / Dante (Jam Session) / Sent (Drones) was my team in vanilla and in my opinion the best Tron team by a significant margin. In ultimate you should replace fire with boulder assist which is surprisingly good to help Dante continue pressure and this is still in my opinion her best team. These two assists each allow Tron to control space, pressure/mixup, convert random hits, and continue combos in ways no two other combination of assists allow. If you lose Tron, Dante+Sent has incredible synergy and can still give you a much better chance to win than any other combination of her other great assists. If you can DHC her out either by a combo DHC to Dante when she’s low or by bigman to devil trigger, boulder assist allows Dante to have even better pressure and mixups as well as a really nice DHC from guns to lunch rush. The team DHC’s all work in any order which allows you to spend as much meter as needed to kill. Overall this team is as perfect as a Tron team can be.

Rocket Racoon with Spitfire Twice is a good replacement to Drones and is a better character on anchor than Sentinel but while Spitfire Twice is good it just isn’t drones.

Thank you for your insight, though you’re the second post anyway I added that team and your specific explanation (credited to you of course) into the top post

I spent a lot of time playing around with assists for Tron and I found quite a few that gave Tron the proper optimal height for a Clakey D ender or w.e she wants after a 2H.

Dr.Strange - Eye of Agamotto

Chun-Li - Lightning Legs

Vergil - Rapid Slash (What im currently using): Rapid Slash also builds a lot of meter during a combo for Tron which helps her combos stay in the positive in Meter gain.

Skrull: Tenderizer

Iron Man: Repulsor Blast

Any Wallbounce Assist will knock them pretty high,

Hey perfect!

Ive been running Tron (Boulder) Frank (Cart) Morrigan (Harmonizer) for a bit and it seems like a really solid team.

Not sure on how much Tron would NEED a second assist but my primary goal is to get Frank out at level4/5 ASAP. Harmonizer speeds this up greatly. Boulder is a decent projectile asist. once frank is on point. and of course by the time Morrigan is out as the anchor if Ive been using harmonizer enough she should have enough meter to clean up anything I havent done yet…

Overall a pretty decent team I like it

I’mma simply copy/paste what I typed in the Vanilla thread. Not a Tron-centric team, but she will be doing the heavy lifting:

It’s a bad, gimmicky team by all accounts, but Tron/Wright are a surprisingly ok duo, and they’re fun to play… :sweat:

I played around with some of these and a few others, on essentially all of them you (obviously) have to adjust your timing for the Clakey D ender compared to Drones. These of course are my own experiences and some may have better (or worse?) experiences with them than me.

Vergil - Works really well, his ability to DHC with Tron is also amazing, the only thing keeping him out of BFF tier for now is his meter usage I think. Then again I’m basing this off my basic understanding of Vergil. Tron can certainly act as a battery for him, but then it seems you’re hindering what she can do. I’d like to hear more of your thoughts on this Rikir. I’ll probably make a write up for him and place him in Good tier when I get a chance tonight.

Chun Li - It’s kind of tight but it does work, good synergy into Kikosho Hyper, great lockdown assist, but Chun Li is a hard character to use and not that good regardless. Hate to sound ironic on the Tron forums, but I think I might put her in Okay tier because of those or just bottom of the Good tier.

Skrull - I can’t seem to land this, based on Chun Li I know it should work I think it just hits too many times and I’ve yet to find the right rhythm. His ability to DHC to Inferno is really good here. Like Vergil though he’s not as effective without meter but I also don’t really find Tenderizer to be that great of an assist outside of combo extension. Skrull is a really underrated character I find, but I think he might just land in okay tier for now.

Iron Man - I haven’t seen any Clakey D Ultimate footage, but I know this should work better than I seem to be able to do from his Vanilla stuff. I find the opponent is too low to the ground (tested only on Wesker though admittedly) and I can only j.S not j.HS. This is minor but just something I noticed, Iron Man also seems to suffer from the Chun Li effect of just not being a good character, but I’m not really sure where to place him. Combo thread also shows how well IM and Tron can work together though I just think it might not be worth it.

Strange - Haven’t tested yet

Trish - Hopscotch can work here but the timing almost seems not worth it, I only fiddled with this for a bit but it doesn’t seem worth the risk. My original thought was to use Peekaboo but I don’t think the Servbots can latch on fast enough as it ends. Trish is certainly a very good character though, if I even bother adding her it might just be okay tier though.

Akuma - Tatsu can work but timing is weird, I get the feeling when I did land it though it was more luck than actual timing so we’ll see.

I use Tron (Boulder), Frank (S.Cart), Super-Skrull (Orbital Grudge)

Both assists mostly to extend combos.

I like how the Orbital Grudge’s armor neutralized some projectiles and how its good against jumping happy attacks and blocked jabs. Frank’s S.Cart is Frank’s S.Cart…

THC ender on the corner with Inferno also does crazy damage.

My thoughts for Vergil are:

Basically Rapid Slash will give you whatever combo you want with Tron. Vergil can naturally very easily combo after a DHC into Spiral Swords/Devil Trigger from either Tron’s Servbot Surprise or Lunch Rush. The thing is however, you would never need to. Two Servbot Surprises with Tron will do more damage than whatever Spiral Sword loop Vergil can do. You almost never need to DHC into Vergil since Tron can handle the kill by herself. Thats not to say that Tron/Vergil wont get awesome combos however. Tron as a partner for Vergil is a little subpar since her assists dont offer much for him, Bonne Strike is probably the best for him since it at least offers some lockdown. DHCing from Vergil to Tron is also a little tricky, you have to carefully time your hypers or you just flat out miss.

My thoughts on Trish:

Ive played Tron/Trish before back in Vanilla and even with the changes, I think these two are only “okay” with each other. Trishs’ assists dont do a great job of extending Tron combos since basically all of them will cause them to tech almost immediately. However Peekaboo assist for Tron is good for resets with the sudden tech it causes. Peekaboo also helps Tron stay in there and apply pressure since if they try to punish Tron, the Peekaboo will likely hit them which gives you a free combo.

As for DHCs, you can really easily DHC from Tron to Trish, but Trish to Tron is a lot harder in most cases. For example unless you can a point blank otg Maxiumum Voltage with Trish, DHCing into Tron is quite a hassle. You can go for some neat extended combos if you DHC into Boomerang and hard tag Tron back in and have her do a j.S to cause a ground bounce into another hyper, but thats generally meter inefficient and the damage isnt all that amazing.

Btw I agree with Tron/Dante/Sentinel for best Tron team. Thats basically my dream team but I would never play Sentinel.

Also Tron/Dante is like heaven. You basically get an extended combo you want, even off a hard tag from Tron to Dante. Dante’s Million Dollars also puts them at the right spots for either a Lunch Rush or Servbot Surprise, its too perfect.

This is what I was rocking last Friday at a casuals night :slight_smile:
I’ll upload a few successful setups I was doing tomorrow for ya.

Really loving the thread so far!

I had no idea you could do Clakey D ender out of rapid slash, this makes me very happy, as I’d like to put Vergil in the team.
The other character would be Frank West, as Vergil and Frank West have some very nasty synergy as well, not as great as Dante, but close enough :slight_smile:

As previously stated by Rikir, DHCing from Vergil to Tron is possible.
You can land both Servbot Surprise and Lunch Rush… however, the timing on it (from what little I’ve played around with) is very tight. I’m going to try to setup a proper mashing method for it… or maybe all you need is not mash on the super? can’t play atm, still hungover from New Year’s festivities lol

I’m gonna update the OP with a few more things later today. I think rather than list individuals I’m going to lump GTFO assists in the okay tier as a general thing since I don’t really think (off the top of my head) any really benefit Tron that much outside of that specific function. I think Frank and Chun Li (especially Frank) deserve to be specified but guys like Hulk and Haggar likely don’t. I’m not sure where to put Skrull, I know the 3 tiers is basic but I don’t intend to list the entire cast so no need to get overly specific. Should I even bother listing someone like Wesker? We all know how good he is and gunshot is an obvious combo extender I don’t think it’s worth taking up space.

Hm… I dont think its necessary to list the entire cast either, but I think it is necessary to list the portion of the cast that actually have something good for Tron. So even Wesker deserves a slight mention.

Actually to be honest. I dont think Wesker would be that great of a partner for Tron.

lol yeah see that was my point it would basically be

As Assist: Best OTG in the game
As Team Mate: He’s Wesker

Probably best not to bother

Oh after watching the Jap Tron footage Im reminded that SHulk is still a really good partner for Tron. Should add that to the list.

I’m sorry for slacking on this guys I’ve just grown to really loathe playin this game lately, but I volunteered so I’m going to do this job and that’s that. Anyway I did some minor experimenting and added some things to the Good Tier… I’m not at all against criticisms and feedback, I don’t really know the characters I added THAT well so a lot of it is what I’ve seen and/or barebones knowledge. I didn’t update this specifically for Good Tier it’s just the handful of characters I test I feel work best in that Tier so purely coincidence.

Small contribution:

Some OTG assists allow for double King Kobun when combo’ed directly into hyper (as in not using beacon bomb). This is great if you’ve already used your groundbounce and can’t do the Clakey D ender. Also works for Happy Birthdays. i.e. Viper, X-23.

Deadpool’s OTG assist can be used to reset your groundbounces. A properly timed beacon bomb + katanarama hitting at the same time will allow you to get two groundbounces in your combo.

Any character that can DHC into King Kobun will allow for really good damage and/or a reset, since you can follow up King Kobun with anything you want. i.e. Dante, Deadpool, Viper, Nemesis.

Tron/Vergil/Amaterasu might be my best Tron team i’ve come up with for Ultimate. I just need to step my Ammy game up :coffee:.

Tron/Firebrand/??? can u guys give me a character for that spot.
I use FB swoop assist to get the Clakey D combo, if the opponent can die then i will go for the kill with Tron’s two bars. If they got alot of health i use Luminous Body to get the unblockable.

So what happen is i do watever combo end with watever super i always do lunch time, the second the character falls into to servbots i DHC into Luminous Body dash back then start the unblockable , the dash back is there if they roll forward after the lunch time, it will always reach. But if this is legit which it is looking like it is then its another option for tron with a top tier character.

On the incoming character u can set up the unblockable again, lets just say Skrull is ur third character, u can do the unblockable with him etc not to sure but i think its skrull that it works with probably Dante jam session assist on the incoming character as well.

Please make a vid if anyone have good recording equip

I kinda stole your team. It’s hella fun!!! So easy to level up Frank to 5. My only issue is getting in against heavy zone dependent teams. Hawkeye, Taskmaster, Chris comes to mind.

One hit tho and I always convert Frank to lvl. 5. XD

I don’t have many problems with zoning, if they get predictable you can punish them with a fire/s.H into Drill to close distance or Happy Birthday their assist spam with Frank’s Blue Lights Hyper/ Skrull’s teleport into Inferno. DHC into Frank for punish if necessary to create some fear to spam proyectiles and assists. And Frank’s proyectile is pretty good, especially against Wesker pistol.

Oh, and I just found a situational but funny thing about this team. If you manage to link a Lunch Rush back to the corner, you can DHC immediately to Skrull Torch to bring the opponent to the other side of the screen. When Skrull Torch ends, the servbots will arrive running and start comboing, giving you time to make two Inferno hypers with Skrull, a raw tag or whatever you can think of.