C-Groove Rolento

C-Groove Rolento seems to be a contender now. I can understand that he’s good, but is C his best groove?

What does he gain from C besides airblock and being able to sit on the tripwire?

I’m guessing because you don’t need a full meter like you do in A-Groove, that the AC helps him out a lot. Whenever you feel threatened, bust out the AC. Similar to A3 Rol.

But is all this enough to warrant the loss of CC (A-Groove) and JD/Run/Rage (K-Groove)?

Are there any lvl2 cancel tricks that he can abuse?

I’m going to start picking him now to see what all the fuss is about.

Yes C is his best groove, and he’s been a contender. He has one of the best AC’s in the game, and builds meter even faster for the already fast C groove.

A groove is better

But is that it? Is it just a safer groove to play in, and you abuse ACs to stay even safer? Just hardcore poking/zoning?

It just seems boring to me. No quick get up, no CCs to play with, no littlejump/run/JD. But that’s just my opinion… Prolly why I do better in the other grooves.

Well, just some BG info on me since this IS my first post here, I am no scrub, I play K groove, but I’ve been using C groove for fun, and on my C team, I use Rolento. I’ve never seen a good C Rolento (video wise or in real life) but I have seen a good A groove Rolento in real life (Josh Wong’s)

So far, My Rolento depends on runaway and poking to win (Which is what Rolento IS supposed to do, think Storm in MvC2)

So far, I may be wrong but I’d have to say A Rolento is better than C Rolento, A rolento has CC’s which are safe when blocked and do good guard damage, do a decent amount of damage when connecting, and are good to play mind games with (Josh Wong activated, threw the opponent with the Bomb throw and did Steel Rain afterwards, on several occasions) and Rolento builds meter so well, that he can activate about 2 times in a round if he started with empty meter.

i like A groove rolento. but i think C is really good too. he makes the most out of the airblock since hes constantly hopping around with scooter jumps and wall hops so its nice to have airblock. but i really dont see how this groove does damage. i havent seen anybody play that can combo tripwire from jabs to low medium kick or even straight from jabs besides shiro. and even he doesnt deal that much damage with rolento. his sagat and yamazaki are the characters i see doing damage. but rolento does have a really good level1. his level1 tripwire beats any move if the opponent is close enough. but high damage custom and random activation is a better choice for me.

really? Does lvl1 tripwire come out instantly after the flash?

yeah. but it only hits if theyre right next to you and on the ground.

P groove rolento is really good. He can parry into combo or super from max range. He has anti jump in parry crossup setups up the ying yang. I’m working on a P rolento Video now. It should be out soon. Most of the time you try for a counter hit jab, then it’s pretty easy to go low forward xx trip wire.

I learned from the master of P rolento himself, Bouya…

LTB

yea i was amused by this guy at evo playing P-rolento. he would just scouter jump back into the pogo hop to build meter. if somebody threw a fireball, he’d just parry it. he’d get about 4 or 5 pogo hops (decent meter) off, then they’d super jump at him and throw out an obvious attack, then he’d parry that into crouching mk, patriot circles for MORE meter:lol:

i honestly think P-Rolento > C-Rolento.

Sure C-Rolento has three alpha counters (which is probably the best alpha counter) in the game but P-Rolento has low jump mp, which is one of the best low jumps in the game. P-Rolento seems to deal damage more consistently due to his low jumps and parry into c.mk xx patriot circle/trip wire.

any opinions on this?

A rolento still is the best tho.

A Groove is his best at LOW levels.

At HIGH levels, C is probably his best… but N is also good. Haven’t seen TOO many P-Groove Rolentos, but I imagine it would be up there.

and the big question:

how/why?

At high levels, it’s extremely hard for Rolento to use his meter in A-Groove. You have either comboing off of knife or springboard fierce (NOT likely), random activation (not guaranteed), and post-GC (lots of work). You can also combo from a deep j.roundhouse, but good players won’t let you land that either.

C-Groove has many more ways to land his super. He can jump back and airblock late and trip wire when they land (not 100% guaranteed, but works a lot); he can combo off of far s.forward; he can pressure you with s.jabs until one counter hits, then do c.forward super; he can jump in with strongs, and can read a book while seeing if it hits or not, then can either go straight into super or do a c.forward first. He also has 3 alpha counters to use up his meter, which he’ll get back by running away anyway.

In addition to these uses of meter, he has airblock to protect him while he’s running away, he has RCs to help him run away and get out of pressure situations, and he has his quick dash which helps to setup either a throw or a counter hit s.jab. A-Groove has 2 of those features, but doesn’t have airblock, and doesn’t have the many options that C has to use his meter. C also allows for quick comebacks, as the time taken off the clock to do any of his combos into super is MUCH less than the time taken off to do his custom.

ill have to disagree a groove is for me his best groove seeing how his cc’s are easy do good damage and he can gain bar really well plus i dont think he has a good level 2 cancel plus he can runaway easily

A-Groove may be good for you against the ppl you play against. I’m talking about high levels, as in Japan and NorCal, and their respective national tournaments (since when commenting on “the best” you have to look at him being used by “the best”). His CC is good, but the problem is LANDING it. You will not be able to get a CC off via random activation against a good player. Nowadays you MUST be able to combo into your CC, or at least do an Anti-Air CC in order fo you to get it off. Rolento can’t do either of those very well. The MAJORITY of the time you’re going to activate, get your CC blocked, and all you’ll end up doing is getting their guard bar down a bit. Good players won’t mind that at all, especially compared to the damage of/threat of the CC.

And you don’t have to do Level 2 cancels in order to be good in C-Groove. The important things are he has RCs, uses airblock effectively, gets three alpha counters, has the dash 50/50 and the ability to combo into a level 3 off of one hit.

i understand wat ur saying but i think that u do need good level 2 cancels (cammy guile etc) and rolento just doesnt have one and i know u have very good players in nor cal etc but up here we have some seriously awesome players all i can say is that while rolento does have a prob nowadayz landing cc’s i still find A-groove benefits him more

Hell, the way I play Rolento, he doesnt deal much damage, bt thats cuz I dont use him that well, I do lots of Scouter jumps into strongs (The twirl) I do the QCB+K move to get out of the corner, the main way I gain meter is either c.mkXXPatriot Circle X3. or by walking up to them and s.jab, c.strong and and j.strong also build good meter.

I agree that there is not real L2 cancel for Rolento, but he doesnt need one. Blanka doesnt really have one either (only one I can think of is L2 Ground Shave into L1 Direct Lightning) but hes still good in C.

It seems to me that rolento has a lot of the same options to land his cc as he does in c-groove, although I dont believe they are as strong.

I know i’ve comboed into cc a couple of times with rolento although no one has believed me on this point (i did it after 2 jabs… which is the point that had some skepticism). Counter hitting a jab is definately enough time to activate and low forward, although it might not be as easy to do as low forward xx super (which imo still needs fairly good reaction time).

Also, I’ve seen rolento activate after a jumping medium. But I dont use this so I dont know the exact properties (how deep it has to be compared to what is requried for a low forward/Level 3)

I haven’t seen any c-rolento, so I wont say which I think is better (as I have no clue)… I just wanted to bring up these points…

I think that Rolento benifits most from short jumps and having a dash. The only groove that has that combination is P. Plus you can combo into super or Patriot’s from max range. Parry let’s you get into and out of situations that are advantageous/disadvantageous respectively. Also, you keep your super, so you can run away and build meter, that by it self is a threat. Rolento has a 3 frame c. jab that can be 2 in 1’ed into the trip wire from max range, which is very large and can punish things into super that others cannot(bison flip kicks).