Blue Like Candy: The Storm Matchup Thread

I think individual matchups in marvel are kinda pointless, so let’s try to keep this as a team matchup sort of deal. When talking about Storm vs Cap for example, talk about what assists hell need to watch out for against him, and what he can use to counter it :tup:

Akuma

Spoiler

coming soon

Amaterasu

Spoiler

coming soon

Arthur

Spoiler

coming soon

C.Viper

Spoiler

coming soon

Captain America

Spoiler

coming soon

Chris Redfield

Spoiler

coming soon

Chun Li

Spoiler

coming soon

Dante

Spoiler

coming soon

Deadpool

Spoiler

coming soon

Dormammu

Spoiler

coming soon

Dr Doom

Spoiler

coming soon

Felicia

Spoiler

coming soon

Haggar

Spoiler

coming soon

Hsien-Ko

Spoiler

coming soon

Hulk

Spoiler

coming soon

Iron Man

Spoiler

coming soon

Jill Valentine

Spoiler

coming soon

M.O.D.O.K.

Spoiler

coming soon

Magneto

Spoiler

coming soon

Morrigan

Spoiler

coming soon

Phoenix

Spoiler

coming soon

Ryu

Spoiler

coming soon

Sentinel

Spoiler

coming soon

She-Hulk

Spoiler

coming soon

Shuma Gorath

Spoiler

coming soon

Spencer

Spoiler

coming soon

Spider-man

Spoiler

coming soon

Storm

Spoiler

coming soon

Super Skrull

Spoiler

coming soon

Taskmaster

Spoiler

coming soon

Thor

Spoiler

coming soon

Trish

Spoiler

coming soon

Tron Bonne

Spoiler

coming soon

Viewtiful Joe

Spoiler

coming soon

Wesker

Spoiler

coming soon

Wolverine

Spoiler

coming soon

X-23

Spoiler

coming soon

Zero

Spoiler

coming soon

i guess i’ll open up the discussion with my hardest match up. i can’t deal with sentinel at all. i’m not sure what i can do vs him when he has any meter loaded for drones or x-factor. the only way i win is by running away and running the clock with a lead.

i don’t know what to do about scrubby sentinels just doing j.C>j.D over and over again until it lands for a one shot victory. if i call my assist it dies instantly.

so if you guys can give me any tips outside of wait for him to make a mistake or whiff a move with alot of recover, it would be greatly apreciated. cause thats all i do atm.

I need help with sent as well as hulk.she-bitch, and hagger!!

Can you tri jump? Can you wave dash?this is half the battle. Being able to get in and getting AWAY. His cr. M -S can be seen from a mile away. Dash back and forward, then punish.
You have the right idea with jumP h-s, but dont stop there. Get in close and push block. Most scrub sents will waste their meter on h.s.f. Try adding an assist to your block string to apply pressure, because you cannot push block assist.
Ex. A1 sent- lightning sphere, dash in, l,m,a1,h-trijump,(repeat)(crouching)
Like i said, most scrubs will mash after a push block, giving you enough time to dash on bnb to launch.

FLY. if he is camping at full screen, what can he do if u are way above him from that range?zip.

Rush him down.he is huge.u could like jumpl,m,h,s,land, and still have time to tri jump and start over.

Or. Stay a full screen, call a long range projectile assist like ironman unibeam, wave dash up to him… Etc

Duck. Most sent scrubs mash st h

I play sent, storm, and various on point.

Hope it helps

I think storm deals with sentinel better than most of the cast can. Of course, it all comes down to how the sentinel plays.
I’ll share a little bit of what I’ve been doing against various sentinels (good and bad). Please keep in mind that good sentinels will use range attacks to create a good opening to rush down once they see how you destroy their ranged game.

Against the sentinel spamming mouth beams or drone projectiles:
If you do a neutral, normal-height jump you will be right above incoming mouth beams and in the perfect position to do a heavy whirlwind which will stuff almost anything sentinel can do with exception to hyper sentinel force (but that’s what you’re going to try and condition them to do). Against most sentinels just jumping and spamming whirlwind will be enough to frustrate them into attempting to rush you down, some will be capable enough to fight on par with you full screen (fortunately for us these better players are easier to condition). From full screen you want to try and bait a hyper sentinel force, or any projectile preferably when the opponent’s assist is not on on the screen and use storm’s level 1 full screen cinematic hyper. It’s the shoryuken motion + 2 attacks and hold heavy. This hyper will beat any projectile he can do, and makes you safe from hyper sentinel force as well. On top of that you can DHC it to anything at almost anytime if you need to. If you do accidentally catch sentinel’s assist a large ice block will be stuck on the screen preventing sentinel from using projectiles against you, including hyper sentinel force. The same large ice block will result from a rare trade with mouth beam, but it lasts a shorter amount of time. DO NOT USE VERTICAL TYPHOON TO ZONE, it’s an unnecessary break in your pressure for low reward for the risk. Also note that it is preferable to have one assist that fills in the gap for across the screen whirlwind pressure, and another assist that will create some pressure for a sentinel that’s found an opening and is trying to fly in for a frying pan combo (so any vertical assist, though some are better than others).

Against the rushdown sentinel:
At some point sentinel will try to rush you down, and while storm is very capable of keeping the bucket of bolts away, it’s very likely he’ll make it in at some point. When sentinel gets in you have to learn your opponent’s patterns to plan a counter attack. The most common pattern is from the air sentinel will frying pan, then crouching medium, then launch in attempt to catch you in some super/hyper armor. When fighting against sentinel’s rushdown, the trickiest thing to watch out for are assists that hit high or low because sentinel’s own high-low game is trash. If you want, you can block high and, on reaction, jump over his crouching medium and do a whirlwind to push sentinel all the way back across the screen, back into your ranged game. Or, you can block low and when sentinel jumps/flies to hit high you can attempt an air throw (which is a bit more risky if you don’t know the opponent’s patterns well) that can be followed up by an OTG vertical typhoon into various followups. Never try to throw sentinel on the ground–due to messed up hitboxes, unless you do a wave dash in storm can not throw a crouching sentinel and has trouble throwing a standing one doing attacks. Besides, there’s a good chance you’ll eat a launcher into a 100% combo. If sentinel doesn’t have a high/low assist the only ways they can touch you are chip from assist, chip from rocket punch, extremely risky chip from a ranged attack, his throw, or most likely his command throw which goes into a full combo. To deal with the command throw, always push block sentinel when he attacks to make sure he’s not right on you. When sentinel flies in–no problem. When sentinel wave dashes in they’ll likely try to use a command throw, or a crouching medium which which will both whiff against your up + back jump then you can punish. Watch out for assists when he’s doing this. If the wave dashing in sentinel does anything else, just be patient, you won’t eat much chip damage and if you ever start to eat a lot of chip damage from that scenario then you’ll have likely figured out his pattern.

Above all else, play defensively. You’ll gain nothing by trying to rush down sentinel and eating a foot to the face. If you do choose to rush down sentinel, make sure you have an assist you can get a combo from after you dash over sentinel’s head. Never go straight in unless you’ve practiced storm to the bone and know some sort of frame trap to deal with sentinel’s delayed super/hyper armor. I’ve had some good results from using the instant overhead exchange (jump, immediately float cancel, S) but sometimes I also eat super armor and die so I would not recommend trying it. Lightning attack can be used to go over sentinel’s head so he’ll block an assist the wrong way so you’ll get a combo from it. If you wish to fight sentinel on even footing, it just becomes a game of baiting his launcher. Learn his absurd range better than he knows it so you can cancel forward dashes into back dashes (baiting the launch) then dash back in for a full combo.

Just remember this: Fighting sentinel is lot like fighting a boss in Megaman games. If you don’t recognize the patterns, you’re going to get shat on. But as soon as you see the patterns, it’s manageable. When you’ve become accustomed to the patterns, it’s easy.

So far, I haven’t found anything storm has on the ground to counter Haggar’s pipe, although it seems (for now at least) that this is an issue with most of the cast in the matchup.

This wouldn’t be such an issue if training mode had a record/playback option…

Anyone had any luck beating this air to air at mostly the same level? It seems that out-jumping the pipe is one way to deal with it since it hits heavily downward.

So what about anything on Dark Phoenix? I find it difficult to compete with a good phoenix(just an issue with dark) player who can really rush down at storm. I honestly feel like storm should be in the air rather than the ground because of how phoenix can manuever.Although she could be on the ground. Find an opening to use c.H then normal jump cancel into j.m j.m j.h then c.m and maybe use a a low assist or grab(such as magnetos hyper gravity) assist then launch - and do whatever you’d like after that. If there are any better methods I’m opened up for exciting suggestions!

Ok so I encountered something interesting today with Storm Vs. Chris Redfield.
Appearently Chris can prevent Hail Storm from touching him, by doing his Grenade Launcher Hyper on reaction. Neither Chris or Storm will take any damage, no trade.
This was pretty suprising to me.
Has anyone else encountered anything that can prevent Hail Storm from reaching the opp after she is in position to ‘make it rain’ on them.

Hey guys can you give me some info on the Storm vs Magneto matchup? I am picking up Storm; as a result, I want some info on the match against Magneto.

Storm seems to handle Phoenix pretty well. I run Storm on point, but I think if you can’t snap Phoenix in and successfully kill her early, you need to keep Storm alive and anchor with her. If she is being stereotypical and trying to use sj.H TK Shot from the air to setup teleport games, you can do a delayed super jump and ice skate over them. Too early on your super jump is no good, but otherwise this seems to let you run away pretty well, just watch out for obscure teleports. Generally though, Phoenix players that have tried to teleport on my float have only caused me some block stun. If you’re holding up-toward, which you probably are, you’re mostly safe it seems. If you have a good assist still alive to call while floating, use it! Don’t neglect air Whirlwinds to knock out those obscure TK Shots you can’t quite super jump over too.

If you can save your meter for said Storm anchor, do it. It only takes like 3 hail storms to chip Dark Phoenix down, and Storm does a pretty good job of making Healing Field a moot point in a match. Let’s not forget x-factor. 2 hail storms will pretty much kill her. You just have to be sure to mind the opponent’s x-factor as well, as that will be Phoenix’s only reliable defense against certain death. Outside of that she would need a lucky or very well-placed teleport. The real trick is buying the time for those hail storms. Dark Phoenix’s traps are the real threat here, though I have sometimes actually landed my hail storm on a Jean laying a trap. Don’t neglect whirlwind xx hail storm either.

Beyond this it becomes a question of whether to get Phoenix low and run away or kill her and try to chip down Dark Phoenix.

I’m still working out more of the finer details, but I think with some improvising, Storm “can control it” pretty well.

That happened to me too, it’s gotta be a glitch you can interrupt Chris’s hyper with normals. Anyway, I think you know this, but might as well point it out, X-23’s Weapon X Prime has tons of invincible frames (20?) so it will go through Hail Storm without trading, and since it go a long distance, it often catches Storm.

If anyone has experience against Zero, please enlighten me.

This matchup sucks. My only advice is launcher is your best friend. Other then that I like to bait out teleport dashes with ice storm or back dash ele rages.

Reload this thread folks:

Storm vs. Wesker

Storm vs. Zero

Storm vs. Doom

Storm vs. MILF

Storm vs. Dante

Storm vs. Vergil

Do it.

ligh

lightning attack is the answer against Phoenix

Can Storm use Elemental Rage to beat Astral Vision Morrigan lameness? Does it hit high enough to hit flying morrigan?

umm only in some situations i think b/c if the morrigan is in flight mode then can unfly and block anything…