Blanka Unblockables

Just wanted to say good shit Ves. I might be one of the few people who actually look at this stuff, but I gotta say, it’s much appreciated.

haha, i look at ves’ threads every day in hope he posts some new awesome stuff!!
I’m feeling bad cuz I dont have the patience to test things out like ves does!
keep up the work ves

Thanks. I feel that sometimes people sort of ignore this stuff, but they are just holding themselves back by not looking at it.

Whats funny is that when I watch the Japanese players who I find to be good, I start to see variants of this stuff that I didn’t see before I started to work on this. They had the unblockable before me for sure it looks like. i saw some replay from like November where someone was repeatedly using it on Viper.

Lack of patience and Blanka players seem to go hand in hand, haha.

If I was more patient I’d have the ideal OS’s worked out off the setup for more than 3 characters. Though I guess there isn’t an ideal situation for Dudley simply because crosscounter blows up the setup 100% unless you do a fake unblockable with j.hp. Same with Gouken, no idea how to work around high/ex counter.

Someone should do Fuerte/Guy for me though.

unblockable videos with escapes, and option select answers to said escapes will start rolling out today. Currently working on Boxer.

Unblockable setup with max damage, and another with the best escape coverage will be given.

ves i want to say i appreciate any work u put into the blanka threads. keep up the good work. encouragement is right here from all the blankas that dont give up even in roll nerfs or mid tier or badmatchups who cares. appreciate ur contributions i read them and like many were just silent lol

so while recording I learned that b.throw, j.mk[os slide], sweep isn’t airtight against Boxer at all times. Focus backdash will work if Boxer is backthrown at certain parts of the screen(sorry for being cryptic). The problem is if you don’t use sweep, Boxer has a guaranteed escape(once again sorry for being cryptic) that I don’t find acceptable. You’ll see what I mean when I finish the video.

Also I forgot to mention this before, if you want to OS slide and not get cr.hp if your opponent changes directions(say a reversal instead of a backdash), you can input the os slide as df.hp, db.hp. It’s pretty tight timing though. Record option autocorrect slides for you, but in an actual match this will not happen. Generally you want the db. slide vs. Boxer because the df. slide only covers backdash which cr.hp still tags.

Sweep segment of video is recorded minus the punishes for super/ultra, need to do the st.mp -> st.hk section and edit the clips together still.

@Lucidsnow Thanks! I started this stuff as a personal project, but I’m looking at not maining Blanka going forward, but he’s still going to be in my rotation. I’m not giving up, but I feel in a field of 40 characters I’m going to need variety.

tx so much Ves i’m hype for those videos!

i’ve seen a couple of top japanese blankas going for it whenever they have the chance, makes me feel so good that i know what’s going on :slight_smile:

I’ve been playing against a makoto lately and i’ve been going for the same setup after the back throw (cross up). it has worked fine so far, no problem if he tries to block but if he hits a button it seems to reset the action… how do you guys follow-up those scenarios? cr.hk to catch backdashes?

boxer video slightly delayed, hoping to finish capturing the rest of the footage I need today and finish editing as well.

@yoga fyah thanks!

Depends on the character, option select sweep works against a large chunk of the cast, but it doesn’t work on every character and every wakeup option. Option select slide works better against some characters, or option select cr.strong, st.strong, throw, etc.

I honestly don’t know off hand what the best option is against makoto, I tend to only b.throw her into the corner, then I safejump. I f.throw characters who I can’t get a good mixup off of b.throw. Generally b.throw works better against characters you can unblockable, or when you can mixup between crossup/not crossup using focus dashes or hops to switch what side you are on(and still be safe most of the time). Or against a character like Cammy where you can change what side j.hp hits on simply by changing when you press the button.

I was gonna do some training mode stuff right now because I needed to check something, I’ll see what I have against mak.

Edit: os sweep works great against mak, beats f.dash, b.dash, ex oroshi, all up punches, ultra 1, and you are pretty neutral if she supers.

Is there a list of characters who can do unblockables against Blanka? That could be useful info for the matchup area.

don’t know of any offhand. he doesn’t have the right kind of wakeup hitbox I think.

Okay I’ve been practicing stuff on Guy and I think I’m getting somewhere. Using the focus dash setup, and a very early j.mk, you are able to do the following

unblockable, make reversal tatsu whiff, beat flip, beat startup frames of non ex-run, os vs. backdash. The problem is I have no idea what to do about ex run, I think you just have to let that one go.

The timing for this is really difficult, but if you do it correctly you can cover a large number of options and also leave yourself in a situation where he can’t do much.

I need to check to see if this can be crouched, or if he can use like st.mk to duck it or something.

Most Guy players do not reversal ex run though, their go to is tatsu for obvious non safejumps, and making tatsu completely whiff allows for a hefty punish, I need to see what max damage is still though.

unblockable on Dudley is now crazy hard, something about his wakeup changed, I’ll let you know what I can figure out.

soooo i know i should have looked at this a long time ago, but I’m just now starting to use this and i want to thank you ves for all the research and training time you’ve put in to find this. I’ve been abusing this in every match up it works in, and all tho i feel kind of dirty for doing it sometimes lol, it really makes things a lot easier in some of these match ups. I’ve been working on the balrog match up a lot and I’ve been using standing fierce to stop him from pushing buttons to try and get more back throws in and it’s been working like a charm. Ending a block string in standing fierce will blow up anything he pushes, and (for the most part, i haven’t went in to actual training to test anything, this is just me using it my matches but) if he throws out any dash punch not including ex of course standing fierce wins… anyways i just wanted to give credit where credit is due and say thank you for finding this.

Thanks! Glad to know you appreciate it.

I’ll be consolidating option selects in the first post over time. I’m gonna throw the boxer and viper stuff in the first post right now.

Sorry to double post but would the formatting of the option selects work better if there was no explanation and just a table?

|hp tk | ex bk | backdash | late hp tk |
|   O  |   O   |    -7    |     X      |

O= you win
X= viper wins
numbers indicate the frame data situation if that option is selected from blanka’s perspective. This is a sample.

I would make an actual table with an image graphic of some sort.

Hey Veserius, amazing job! I can help you test stuff if you want, I’ve been doing the same with honda(with its respective topic) but I’ve posted crappy vids(yeah I don’t have shame anymore). Let me know! So far I can tell you that Blanka’s hitbox at wakeup does make things difficult for other characters to have a true fake crossup/unblockable that can’t be beaten by upball at the same time. He can be safejumped, but that’s all I guess.

Keep up the good work!

Pretty sure unblockable U1 is possible, but there couldn’t ever be a setup for it that was anywhere near reliable.

Haha, Boxer can be unblockabled with j.hk. Doesn’t work vs Guile and Viper though.

How does that work with J.HK?

Same as the j.mk unblockable. Boxer is one of the chars that can be crossed up easily with j.hk. And with the b.throw dash setup, it becomes unblockable.