Blanka Unblockables

FOR AE2012 BACKTHROW INFORMATION CHECK THE OKIZEME THREAD. THIS THREAD WILL BE UPDATED WHEN I GET AROUND TO IT.

b.throw, dash, j.mk

Midscreen

Non-Crossup
Seth, Abel, Sagat, Deejay, Gief, Rufus, Claw, Hawk, Rose

Crossup
Ryu, Ken, Ibuki, Makoto, Honda, Akuma, Sakura, Chun, Sim, Dictator, Cody, Hakan, Fei, Adon, Blanka, Cammy, Oni, Evil Ryu, Yang, Yun

Unblockable
Boxer, Gouken, Viper, Guy, Guile, fuerte

Can Block Both Ways
Dudley, Gen, Dan, Juri

In corner

Non Crossup
Gief

Crossup
Ken, Ryu, Ibuki, Honda, Makoto, Seth, Gouken, Gen, everyone else(I’m lazy)

Can Block Both Ways
Akuma, Deejay, Chun, Dictator, Claw, Adon, Yang, Yun

******* Note for AE *******
Something about Dudley’s wakeup has changed, the simple backthrow to dash, j.mk no longer works. You can still unblockable, but the timing is different, I will report back when I figure it out.

b.throw, dash, j.hp
Summary: unblockable vs. Gouken, Viper, Guy, Cody and Guile

Full Spreadsheet

b.throw, dash, j.hk
Summary: unblockable vs. Gouken, Balrog, Rufus(easiest). (Guy if you focus dash)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option Selects:
All of these are assumed that you have landed the back throw, and have dashed. Combos listed will be the max damage option for that particular option select.

Vs. Balrog
j.mk, os db.hp, cr.hk

The os db.hp gives you an auto correct slide vs. headbutts/TAP and a cr.hp vs. backdash. All armor punches are swept. Ultra 1 and Super both whiff, but the super/ultra flashes should cause the os input to get eaten, you can then hop to chase them down and punish. Ultra 2 is outright beat by the j.mk. Focus backdash is able to avoid the cr.hk if Balrog is not close to the corner. On a sloppy unblockable cr.jab can get under the j.mk, don’t be sloppy.

j.mk, os, db.hp, st.mp(can combo to st.hk)
*Similar to the above option select, but you trade the ability to cause hard knockdowns on armor punches/attempted blocks for raw damage and the ability to always beat focus backdash. *

The drawback is that EX Dash Low Smash will dodge the st.mp.

Vs. Viper

j.mk/hp, os cr.mp, st.lk xx hp elec

Cr.mp hits everything(hk tk, all burn kicks, ex seismo, backdash, focus backdash) but ex seismo feint which it hits meaty on block so you are like -3 or so at a very neutral range.

she can do ex feint, ex seismo, or ex feint, hp TK, but it’s a 1 frame window for her, and pretty difficult

j.mk/hp, os f.hop

vs. ex burnkick, hk TK, or ex seismo you are at massive frame advantage(+10 or more). Depending on screen positioning you can can go for another unblockable or just combo her. Backdash is a wash, you are roughly -1, but she has to react to the situation and you don’t. You get blown up by ex seismo feint though. She’s in +15 territory. Luckily you’re airborne for most of that though so it’s pretty easy to mess up the punish.

**j.mk, os throw, jab xx elec, os cr.hp **

if they try to block you get j.mk, st.lp xx elec, if they do wakeup ex seismo, wakeup seismo feint, or wakeup hk tk feint you throw them. If they do wakeup hp TK, or ex burn kick you’ll get whiff throw(which eats the jab xx elec) into cr.hp which is fast enough to hit either of those because they have crappy recovery and Blanka’s cr.hp has a crazy reach. Late hp TK will hit the OS throw. This also loses to backdash, you’re at -7~ after the whiff throw, and still have a os cr.hp buffered. If you can react and hit the cr.hp only if you see electricity or fire you are golden.

vs. Rufus

j.hk, os st.hp
os st.hp will hit his attempted dash outs, ex messiah kick.* It whiffs vs. EX snake strike but you recover first and are able to punish.*

Rufus can always duck out of the j.hk unblockable so keep him honest with the occasional j.mk or delayed j.hk which he can’t duck.

I’m going to assume that they can’t block forward or back on a ambig j.mk?

how do i test this in training mode?

record blanka doing backthrow, dash, ambig j.mk. Try to block it with one of the characters I listed.

what is an ambig j.mk?

when does blanka need to do the dash and j.mk?

any chance for a video?

ambiguous

timing is pretty loose, but depending on when you do it different escape options open up. example vs. guile doing it high makes flash kick whiff instead of stuffing it(which means you can b.throw him as a punish) however he can crouch this, but if you do it lower you will air reset his lk flash kick instead of making it whiff, however he can’t crouch out at that height.

No video, I have no way to record in decent quality. If someone else would like to make one and give me oodles of credit I wouldn’t complain.

I’ll see what i can do Ves. I got valentines tonight + marvel this week. But i’ll try to fit it in.

Nice find. Seems like the price for an easy setup (this one is pretty brainless lol) is that it’s easier to block(*) if you know the setup. Just block slightly later (direction is char dependent) than usual. The will prevent the character from walking before blocking.

I just realized I found a similar setup off a focus reset but all the chars I tested against could block no matter which direction they were holding. It didn’t occur to me that some chars might not be able to block if they hold a direction. I’ll test some more.

(*)compared to other unblockables.

yeah initially the reason i ended up testing this setup in particular was because I was testing some knockdown pressure +OS stuff and I noticed as Akuma I was capable blocking both ways. So I figured there had to be some unblockable potential.

In the case of knowing the setup, you can actually delay the dash/walk forward before dashing/focus dash
/change when you hit j.mk and it completely changes the setup. It can go from crossup to non crossup, and you won’t be able to just defend block it. You can also hop instead of dash, which is pretty similar if you aren’t looking for it, though obviously the insant focus dash/walk setups are more subtle.

hmmmmmmm imma play around with this… when i put marvel down.

illitirit what was the focus reset? I’m interested in testing it against the whole cast.

borrowing my brothers camera, so I might handcam some stuff including the option select stuff off of it.

vs. boxer if you do b.throw, j.mk(OS slide), cr.hk it beats every single one of his wakeup options.

You don’t get the beefy damage, but having essentially a 220 or 270 damage backthrow that you can safejump off of is nice.

Came up with a second unblockable, also off of backthrow with focus dash, j.hk. It’s good against guy because it makes his tatsu whiff.

Will record sometime soon.

Edit: j.hk variation is hard as hell, I’ve only recorded it correctly once, it’s probably 1 frame.

if you do focus dash j.mk it will make his ex tatsu whiff as well(others are stuffed)

Drawbacks are it is crouchable, and you can both run and flip out.

I’m excited to see video on this when possible. Keep up the good work Ves.

I will be too, my collaborator had his motherboard die, so it’s sort of delaying the release of anything.

I don’t want to shoddily handcam everything, though I’m a little worried about his execution handling the harder option selects.

Thanks though!

I was playing around with the b. Throw dash j. Mk unblockable with rog. It seems that simply option selecting slide beats everything he can do, or at leadt keeps you safe. Instead of doing j. Mk (os slide) cr. Hk, I was subsituting cr. Hk with clst. Mp or jab into elec. This way no matter what you are at positive frames. Is there a reason you were using cr. Hk in particular?

Edit: Just realized that it takes care of focus backdash too. Nevermind :slight_smile:

yeah, it covers all options, I think st.mp -> st.hk with an os slide is the best way to go about things, but if your opponent knows the setup cr.hk will be your best option because it beats everything.

Working on option selecting vs. viper, she’s tricky because she has a lot of wakeup options. hk TK, ex burn kick, ex seismo, ex seismo cancel, hk TK cancel, and backdash, and they all behave wildly different.

The basic problem is that for the most part if you OS against one thing you end up losing to another thing. Lets say you use Slide to OS against backdash, the whiffs, and ex burn kick. You get blown up by ex seismo now.

So far I think OS f.hop is pretty useful. Nothing outright beats you. vs. ex burnkick, hk TK, or ex seismo you are at massive frame advantage(+10 or more). Depending on screen positioning you can can go for another unblockable or just combo her. Backdash is a wash, you are roughly -1, but she has to react to the situation and you don’t. You get blown up by ex seismo feint though. She’s in +15 territory. Luckily you’re airborne for most of that though so it’s pretty easy to mess up the punish.

However my solution is to not use one option select, but 2. Basically you do b.throw, j.mk, [os throw], jab xx elec, then do os cr.hp. What should happen is that if they try to block you get j.mk, st.lp xx elec, if they do wakeup ex seismo, wakeup seismo feint, or wakeup hk tk feint you throw them. If they do wakeup hk TK, or ex burn kick you’ll get whiff throw(which eats the jab xx elec) into cr.hp which is fast enough to hit either of those because they have crappy recovery and Blanka’s cr.hp has a crazy reach. This loses to backdash(you’re at -7~ after the whiff throw, and still have a os cr.hp buffered), and late but not too late hp tk(it has to be done on the second wakeup frame as far as I can tell, but not the third or first) but covers all other options. This option select is stupidly hard and I only able to record it correctly once. I think doing j.mk, os throw, then reacting to your opponent might be the best option. Vipers backdash is really slow, and you can react to your own throw whiff pretty well.

I’m not 100% on the late hp tk, I think maybe I’m just dashing 1 frame late possibly.

Will probably look at Dudley next. Guy/Fuerte/Gouken all have stupid armor moves that are obnoxious and Guile is just a matter of do you take the guaranteed 60+cover backdash, or hope he doesn’t crouch on wakeup so you can destroy him for trying to flashkick you.

Dudley is annoying to unblockable because of crosscounter. What you can do however is mixup unblockables with j.hp. J.hp whiffs vs. crosscounter, but will hit him if he tries to block one way(forgot which), and will whiff the other. I think there is probably a position to make it hit on one way/block the other/whiff vs. crosscounter.

Sucks that really only Viper/Guile/Boxer are free to this as far as I can tell. Gonna keep doing more testing though.

More Viper. Simple OS vs. her off the unblockable setup.

b.throw, dash, j.mk, os cr.mp, whatever combo. Cr.mp hits everything but ex seismo feint which it hits meaty on block so you are like -3 or so at a very neutral range.

she can do ex feint, ex seismo, or ex feint, hp TK, but it’s a 1 frame window for her, and pretty difficult.

So that Dudley thing is true, though the timing on the j.hp is tight. Basically it takes away crosscounter as an option, but the j.hp becomes duckable as far as I can tell. Still gives him less incentive to crosscounter which is important. Gouken/Guy/Fuerte are going to be the hard characters to completely figure out. Gouken is hard because counter is always going to beat unblockable, so you have to give him incentive to not do so, I’ve just been using empty jump throw, but that loses to backdash. Guy and Fuerte have so much momentum with ex runs.

Kinda losing motivation to test stuff, but I’ll see if I can’t come up with a few more OS’s that cover a good amount of options before I’m done with this.