Blanka Labwork Thread

holy crap, kara jab into throw moves forward 2 whole squares in training mode! Vega was about 3-4, so in comparison, thats pretty respectful for blanka. Kinda hard cuz its with jab, but not too hard

where have you been? Kara throw is old news. Outside of cr.short -> kara throw it doesn’t have a lot of applications.

I was under the impression that his kara throws were pretty useless, at least they were in vanilla. I was just messin around and his stand Jab Kara throw is serious business and considerably better than I thought. Since I don’t c anyone else using it, I figured it had changed from the previous game. Since veserious thinks it’s old news and has few applications, now I’m pretty certain most people don’t know how useful the Kara jab thow iis. Check it out, it’s serious news, two squares of forward movement in a throw is huge. Now if everyone else already knew the forward movement on Jab Kara throw was so large, then I apologize.

It’s good man, it just doesn’t have too many applications because of a combination of Blanka’s fast walk speed and relatively far pushback on normals.

If Blanka had chainable shorts his karathrow would be godlike, but the fact of the matter is I think that pretty much any normal you do you can’t just instantly kara throw after to tick other than cr.short(as in normals you would actually want to tick off of, cl.jab is not one). It’s pretty good after st.jab xx elec though, I do walk forward kara throw mixed up with walk forward, walk back, sweep tech attempt.

I just don’t see how it opens up his game hugely and I’ve known about the kara since vanilla, and I retested it the moment I got super which was a few days before release.

It’s useful here and there, but certainly isn’t something that can be called essential like claw/ken/gen karas

meaty cr.lk, cl.mp, st.lp xx hp elec does 232 damage 330 stun, and if you factor in the sweep, 322-480. Not too shabby considering the link feels easier than the sweep link to me, too bad it is character specific. Gotta start working this Blanka vortex, haha.

Also boxer’s pushback bullshit on wakeup means that you can’t do meaty cr.lk xx elec and have it combo on him unless you are able to cross him up beforehand. If you do crossup him though, it seems difficult for him to auto correct ultra/super, and if he does both are blockable. Auto correct ex rush/Non ex headbutts get stuffed, and ex headbutt is blocked.

Setups to be able to cross him up are-
deep j.hk, cr.hk.
lvl 2 FA, backdash, walk forward, crossup hop, cr.hk
lvl 2 FA, forward dash, crossup hop, walk forward, cr.hk

If you do the sweep, dash dash setup it essentially works, but you have to hit the sweep from sort of far away and if he just decides to crouch block on wakeup the electricity will whiff and he can punish whiff elec with super/ultra/ex rush/ex headbutt.

his knocked down state is bullshit.

Edit:
You can do
cr.hk, dash, f.hop but the timing is strict, and you don’t get an input buffer. Punishable by super/ultra, but the timing is very strict. If boxer does not have a backcharge BEFORE he is swept, he can’t punish.

Edit:
I’m going to be doing initial back throw frame counting today maybe cause I am sick of testing individual characters for sweep already because boxer took so long.

Blanka has 4 other hard knockdowns. super, ultra 1, U2 ground, U2 air, however I’m not going to be looking for setups for the first 2. Even though they are untechable, when you hit the other character in the air can cause way too much variation into wakeup timing. The only exception to this would be if you can find me an ultra/super setup that lets you get all of the hits even if you let go of the button(s) thus making it not timing based. Example: lvl 3 FA, dash forward U1 against Ryu.

Once I get frames down for backthrow I’m going to start looking for character specific option selects to punish some stuff.

Bout to play, really want to try cr lk > mp > lp > elec.
Isn’t river run a hard knockdown?

yeah I meant to count it, but you never know what frame you are going to hit on really. and any reliable setups that hit on the first active frame also work with sweep, so it is a waste of time.

I was really excited to try some of this stuff today, my first time sitting down to practice in months…and I left my disc at another house hold. Q.Q Great stuff Veserius, keep up the hard work. :lovin:

Against Boxer you can do a f.hop on his knockdown in order to get the cr.lk meaty. I haven’t bothered to figure out a guaranteed setup yet though. Meaty cr.lk is safe against all Boxers reversals and he can’t jab you on block either if you do meaty cr.lk, cr.lk, st.lp.

Here we go google document style. These are just his basic ground options and combos by range: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AuwzNXnZLVLZdEVMWjJ1RVJmaUdnQVhPLVdtMkJ3R1E&hl=en&authkey=CNnsqroG# haven’t finished the super combos and I don’t remember the best so I need to double check them still.

Here is another cool link with all of Blankas frame data in a nice format: Option-Select.com - Strategy - Blanka Click on frame data and move list. Any way we can add range and pushback information to it?

Edit: Posted before but probably belongs here. http://www.fgapr.com/WAMO/SSF4/onblock.html This website has good info on what can punish what. May not be possible with pushback on some reversals but good info nonetheless. Might make an ultimate list on the best punish for everything in the game on block or whiff for Blanka. Time consuming I know.

I think the setups I posted are the only ones that work off of sweep for him.

only problem with cr.lk, cr.lk you can’t confirm if the meaty short made contact before hitting the button again and against him it really matters.

when you do meaty cr.lk xx hp elec if he does ex headbutt/ultra/super/TAP, you get an option select block. If you try to do an actual combo all that junk hits you, though I guess ultra/super flash probably eat the second LK input.

Also if you try to combo him it makes it harder to option select his backdash.

Edit: that option select link has errors in the frame data, it’s using the sf4 data not the super data.

Hop/lp ball are both off at a glance. Though I like that style of table, like the cvs2 guidebook.

wow a real thread with actual good information in the character forums?!

good fucking shit guys!

I need to read through this thread and contribute but marvel is calling me…

Does anyone have any good ambiguous j.mk/hp setups? I play a very lame/technical Blanka(if it wasn’t obvious), but I need to add some more ambiguous stuff to compliment the safejumps, so as I condition people to block on wake 100% of the time I can start working in some mixups other than empty jump cr.short and empty jump throw.

I’m looking for things I can replicate easily and not things that are just based on in the moment situations. The only one I use at the moment is sweep -> walk forward -> j.mk, but it is very vulnerable.

haha in my search of a Blanka unblockable I came across a gem.

b.throw Akuma into the corner, hop, j.mk it’s so good at being blockable

Edit:
midscreen ambig setup vs. cammy

b.throw, dash, j.hp

Depending on timing hp can hit on either side. In corner will crossup. I’m still confused by how this does/doesn’t crossup. Blanka will always land on the opposite side whether it does or doesn’t crossup, which adds to the ambiguity.

her reversals all whiff the wrong way, and you can option select sweep her dash outs. I think you can chase down whiffed cannon spikes with a slide even with your OS sweep adding to your recovery, but I’m not quite sure and I’m having trouble testing it.

That ambig setup is tough to test against multiple characters because you have to time the jumpin at different times and sometimes use j.mk. Also some random stuff makes it whiff. Ken can do wakeup crouch, st.strong and it’ll whiff sometimes.

Still good though.

nice thread!

could someone (ves;-) please add the safeball essentials! would be nice to have ONE blanka guide

maybe there are also safejumps that are possible when the enemy has no meter…they should be added too if found!

by the way…what do the numbers behind the meaty setups mean???

Thanks.

Nice Guile!

I have a huge data backlog to sort through, not only to do I have to retest my old setups which means verifying stuff on each character, I’m constantly coming up with new stuff(I came up with a safejump setup in the shower yesterday) which means even more to test. I’m going to get there eventually but they aren’t a priority at the moment. One of my issues with safeball stuff is that a lot of it is based on spacing, which I don’t like. I like setups where you can reproduce them 100% of the time and not have to guess that your opponents ultra is going to whiff. Street Fighter is a game of educated guesses, but to be frank a lot of Blanka players aren’t educated about how their character works, and I guess I’ve taken it upon myself to just breaking him down so he’s not only easier to play, he’s a better character in general.

Yeah there are plenty of safejump/meaty setups that are 100% free if the opponent doesn’t have meter. When I get around to posting them all there will be character notes designating whats what.

Those were supposed to be used as grouping numbers so each specific setup didn’t have a huge list next to it, allowing the list to be streamlined. I forgot to fill it out yesterday though because I decided to play on Peaceful Jay’s/work on finding an unblockable.

Be patient folks, comprehensive testing for each setup can literally takes HOURS if I’m not taking shortcuts and just guessing off of frame data, and even then in regards to knockdown data, I have to be the one to come up with it and then verify which characters it works on because characters have variable knockdown rates and no one has bothered to figure all this stuff out till now.

If you personally want to see the thread turn into a full on Blanka guide soon, the best thing you can do is by contributing. See a setup in the main body of the thread that isn’t in the first post? Try testing it on every character for me. Have your own setups? Post about them. There can’t be 5 Blanka players in the entire world who have anything to contribute.

this is sort of weird. as far as I can tell sweep, f.hop, f.hop, throw should be a frame perfect meaty throw. However I can’t get it to beat out 2 frame command grabs. I’ve only got the throw to whiff(which is confusing), or if I do it a bit late I get thrown.

I’ve also had his throw whiff in situations where I have frame advantage and it should hit. I’m a little confused. Might be a hitbox issue, his f.throw has puny range.

Meaty throw against Gief/Hawk is actually GREAT theoretically because it beats all options but super/ultra/tech, but I sure as hell can’t get it to work.

Someone buy me a program pad, and something better than my old Genesis one I got with MK2.

Edit: I guess it had to do with variable sweep knockdown times. but I think even then doing it late I would have hit one throw. Ugh someone test this all for me.

need to put this somewhere for now.

note for the the close combos you generally have to sweep from point blank range and they are probably character specific as I was having trouble getting the close normal to come out against Rufus. Not all of these are meaty specific, some are more practical/reasonable to do because of the meaty.

Meaty combo damage/stun

cr.lk, cr.hk 120/200
cr.lk, cr.lk, st.hk 140/260
cr.lk, cl.mp, cr.mk 166/230
cr.lk, st.lp xx hp elec 172/260
cr.lk, cl.lk xx hp elec 182/260
cr.lk, cr.mk xx hp horizontal ball/upball 196/310
cr.lk, cr.mk, st.lp xx hp horizontal ball 208/330
cr.lk, cl.mk, st.lp xx hp horizontal ball 218/330
cr.mk, cr.mk xx hp horizontal ball 236/360
cr.mk, U1 466/100

cl.mp, cr.hk 170/250
cl.mp, st.lp xx hp elec 222/310 (have to crossup before meaty)
cl.mp, st.lp xx ex elec 230/310
cl.mp, cr.mk, st.lp xx hp horizontal ball 258/380
cl.mp, U1 476/100

the two in bold are what you should go for I think against characters who don’t have a way to punish balls on hit and have bad meaty defense just because they do beefy damage. the first one is a very easy plink/doubletap, and the second is all 2 frame links.

Also meaty into ultra is ridiculously hard, this game needs charge partitioning.