Birdie Matchup Thread: Mash Potato!

Hey, starting a new thread. This thread and and the current one will be merged so I can collate the information and get this thread looking like a proper matchup thread!

It’s going to take some time and naturally information will change over time too. If I have made a mistake somewhere please PM me so it can be corrected.

UPDATE - Started work on Ryu section as figured it’s a common matchup

Alex

Spoiler

Coming soon

Birdie

Spoiler

Coming soon

Cammy

Spoiler

Coming soon

Chun Li

Spoiler

Coming soon

Dhalsim

Spoiler

Coming soon

F.A.N.G

Spoiler

Coming soon

Karin

Spoiler

Coming soon

Ken

Spoiler

Coming soon

Laura

Spoiler

Coming soon

M.Bison

Spoiler

Coming soon

Nash

Spoiler

Coming soon

Necalli

Spoiler

Coming soon

R.Mika

Spoiler

Coming soon

Rashid

Spoiler

Coming soon

Ryu

Spoiler

**Strategy **

A lot of the match is going to be based around zoning, with you on the receiving end. Fireballs will be commonplace and the outcome of the match is going to be determined on how you deal with them. It’s important early in the match you don’t show your hand. Refrain from hk revenger and chains as anti-fireball tactics at this stage and just see what Ryu’s game plan is. Bulldog (walk forward and block) fireballs and try and walk Ryu to a corner where your superior range normals can lock him down. Mix this up with occasional neutral jumps or slide and if he is content to stay full screen throwing fireballs, sneak in a doughnut or two or a can if he leaves a big enough gap. Once you have him in the corner you can bully with st.mk and other pokes.

Be ready for a jump and anti-air with cr.mp, however the first time this happens, walk up and block. This is important data on how your opponent likes to react in this situation. Take note of if they like to block, mash jab or dp and use this info for the next time it happens.

It’s now that you should open up your toolbox of chains, revengers and killing head. Chains will punish mid-range fireballs well and lk is preferable due to bringing Ryu closer. Overhead is a good follow up to this, especially if you land multiple chains and change it up each time from overhead, cr.lk > st.lk xx lp bullhead or killing head.
A well timed ex revenger will punish fireballs at mid-range and super will too at close to mid-range. A hk revenger can get Ryu from full screen, however the timing is tight and if performed too early you are likely to eat the fireball. Too late and Ryu will neutral jump or crush counter you on your landing frames.

Following any successful revenger, a meaty slide will stuff wake up dp and is great for locking Ryu down. On hit, it’s +2 so feel free to stick out a normal afterwards.
Space slides properly or it will be punished on block by st.lk xx whatever.

Punishes

Overhead - It’s -4 on block so if close enough st.lk xx lp or ex bullhead will make him think twice next time.

Sweep - Ryu’s sweep is at a massive frame disadvantage on block (-11f). You can get in a cr.hp xx hk or ex chain but must be done immediately (10f startup) and can also whiff at max range. Therefore it seems st.mp xx whatever is the better option.

Target Combo - Both the second and third hit of Ryu’s target combo are punishable by whatever you want, so go nuts. However be mindful if you are crouch blocking, the final kick will whiff so don’t sit waiting for the blockstun and miss your punish.

Hadoken - Any hadokens you block up close, Ryu is -7f except for EX (which is -2). If he is within distance then a st.mp can punish but it’s tight, as it’s a 7f startup. Until the link is mastered over time, st.lk xx whatever works as an easier albeit less damaging alternative.

Tatsu - Any blocked tatsu is punishable, with the lk and mk versions at -10f and hk at -9f. If you crouch block under the tatsu you can cr.hp xx hk or ex chain too. EX tatsu often pushes you too far away for a punish but if blocked deep enough or in the corner, it’s a whopping -19f on block, but due to the distance the only viable or reliable punish is cr.hp > hp or cr.hp xx EX chain.

**Birdie in V-Trigger **

Once you activate, use your improved walking speed to hover in and out of Ryu’s sweep range and play footsies. Ex bullhead gains a hit of armour and ex bullhorn now has two, so use these to blow through fireballs and pokes.

**Ryu in V-Trigger **

Outside of a combo, Ryu is likely to activate from sweep. Once Ryu enters V-Trigger he will more than likely become more aggressive. It’s important at this stage to remember two things: ALWAYS quick recover and MANAGE your own V meter carefully. If you don’t quick recover, it just allows Ryu to attempt a denjin hadoken set up and break your guard for a combo. If you are also low on life and Ryu has super, it’s important to keep a stock spare for V-Reversal so you can escape any chip set ups. Obviously, if you need the V-Trigger cancel for a combo to end a round then don’t hesitate.

Vega

Spoiler

Coming soon

Zangief

Spoiler

Coming soon

What’s the best way to deal with Dhalsim’s teleport mixups as Birdie?

How do you guys approach the ryu matchup? In neutral he can just dp react to all my gimmicks so i tend to turtle a lot. After he activates vtrigger it gets difficult to react with ex chain. Also on another note, i think j.hk is very strong against karin

If he’s aggressive then you can just use your normals to keep him out at your ideal range. Turtle ryu is more difficult but as long as you’re on point with your blocking, you can walk him to the corner and try to bait out his dp by faking normals, or even chains. Ifbhe gets wise, then you can start throwing ovetheads etc. Keep it simple against turtles. It’s not worth using your gimmicks until you’ve convinced them that you’re NOT going to use them. Life lead is your friend. Time outs still get the W.

Standing jab him out of them

Against Ryu/Ken, I found those not too hard for now mainly because a lot of the players were not so great but also cause Birdie’s normal are much better than theirs and they don’t have Nash ‘s space control.
Try to stay at max bullhorn distance, since they extend their hitboxes on hadokens you can react bullhorn pretty reliably from a surprisingly far distance.
Harass them with st MK. Max distance fierce punch or sweep are your friends to interrupt fireball attempts. 6HP can fit that role too, try to throw it max distance to not get punished. I guess Ken ex DP can punish it on block even from max distance but I did not test it.
Use 3HP in midrange foostie from time to time as they will play the walk forward/walk backward footsies and won’t be guarding low.
Once you have Vtrigger you can react to a fireball with ex bullhorn, VT, Ex bullhead which is like 1/3 of their life + corner situation against powered up Birdie. That should put fear in their heart if it does not then it’s even better cause they will get hit by it 

You can also play the Vtrigger game by standing at the opposite side of the screen and disrupting their FB game with jump/Vskill/can and make them to come at you if they feel they are losing the trade on ressources.
After a Vskill can toss, I always try to charge my bullhorn and often go forward and follow the can ready for a jump in. Bullhorn is nice cause it will help you punish in place jumps.

Some tips against Gief:
Banana is your friend ! I try to use banana as much as I can to frustrate him. You can then charge your CA gauge with whiffed SPD and there is not much he can do I guess. When the Gief start to respect the banana and waits just in front of it, you can try some revenger shenanigans ^^
Your Ex SPD is unthrowable you can use it to beat some of his throws ticks.
Against charged punch you can use a well timed 6P to absorb the hit.
In this match I’m always ready to sacrifice V gauge to use V-reversal to not let him have any kind of momentum.
Again all this is based on my exp from fighting scrub to good players this might not work against better completion, but with the ranking reste I was not able to fight many strong players yet.

Any tips for dealing with pressure from vega?

st lk will get him out of that crimson terror, cr lk loop vega loves so much. Also cr mp destroys his Izuzu drop for days. What other pressure loops are you seeing from Vega?

The Rolling Crystal Flash actually got nerfed in beta 4 and thus, this version. Meaning that it’s -6 now and you can consistently command throw it or cMP xx whatever to punish him.
If Vega does fHP (the long reaching lunging attack) and it wasn’t max range, you can use a lot of normals to punish its recovery hurtboxes. sMP xx bullhead does the most dmg but is slower than sLP or sLK xx ex bullhead. The surprise here is that range isn’t rly the issue here, since even sLK can work, it’s the timing that’s key.
I made here a video to explain it better:

Vega also has pretty shitty anti airs and afaik he has no way to anti air jLP, meaning it’s a free way to get in and you can even stuff his random EX FBA.
His claw attacks and command throws from FBA are all really easy to consistently anti air with cMP, so no need to worry about that.

Thanks

GODLIKE

Can someone give any tips against a rashid playing lame? I throw cans to try to open him up then i get that karate kicked, and try to do the dolphin dive but it gets beat by that spinning tornado kick.

Any tips would help! Thanks

I was able to beat his air teleports with Bull Horn pretty consistently. I haven’t really tested it in training yet though, so be wary. As long as you don’t let go of the button too early, Birdie should switch to the proper side before Bull Horn comes out. The idea is you don’t have to guess which side he’s going on. Just time it right once you see the air teleport. It seemed to beat Sim’s normals even if I did it a little late. I don’t think Sim can do much to you either if he just air teleports in place and baits it out.

I’ll actually explore this in training when I get the chance and update this post with more conclusive results.

edit: Okay. I went into training with this and I found that it’s mostly consistent… Sometimes Birdie will actually go under Sim and whiff the Bull Horn completely. This usually happened if I was at completely full screen and I set up the dummy to air teleport behind me.

You can’t really release Bull Horn as late as I originally thought. Sim WILL hit you during the 10f startup. So long as you react to the air teleport itself however, you should be fine. I believe I set all this up correctly in training, but I am awful with executing Sim’s air teleport… Someone else might want to recreate this and share what they find.

Mike Ross (Birdie) vs. FLoE (FANG), first to five. Floe’s Fang is legit. An interesting look at the Birdie / Fang match up in this early phase.

Note Mike begins using chains with much greater efficacy to counter poison zoning in later matches, though too predictable with the Drink Time / HK chains setup (which Floe doesn’t fall for a single time). Not sure why he didn’t use more cr.MP to dissuade jump ins (unless Fang’s j.HP (?) stuffs it – possible?). FLoE reads 99.9% of Revenger attempts with a jump back, too.

https://youtu.be/puztcttOr8o

How in the world is Birdie supposed to fight Chun? Every time I go up against one I get both out-poked and out-zoned. Any suggestions boys?

having trouble dealing with mika. she pressure’s me for free. birdie having no viable reversals is tough. if they meaty everything, you have to take the 50/50 on your wake up to deal with if shes gonna go meaty or command throw. tips?

Try your bestest not to get knocked down due to anti airs, reckless behavior like jumpin in or yolo Bull Revenger.
I usually don’t VT against Mika because I keep most of my V-meter for V-reversal, unless I can kill her with an extended combo.
EX Command throw is throw invincible, so if you think she’s going to throw you, then pop this up and she’ll start to respect you more.
Once she needs to include your throw invincible option into the mix, it’ll become easier to stop her ongoing pressure.

Her dropkick can be anti-aired with fHK and Bull charge (armor) on reaction, though I myself am not consistent with it in the heat of battle, because it’s pretty scary.
If Mika doesn’t know what she’s doing or doesn’t know V-reversal’s slow startup is punishable by throw, then use this as much as possible.

What do you guys do against fang? The character seems to beat birdie at every range in the game. His up close footsies destroy birdie and his two hit moves make armor obsolete. Any tips are most appreciated.

I haven’t explored the character in-depth yet, but I’ll share some notes I made vs him.

FANG

• Sweep is -12 on block, regardless of range u can sMP xx bullhead
  • That poison stinger attack can also be punished by sMP xx bullhead

Poison carpets

• You can empty jump on it
  • sLP and sHK can hit over the poison carpet
  • sLP is the only normal that’s also safe on recovery, sHK will get hit by the poison on recovery
  • jHP and jLP are the only jump normals that can be used in front of the poison carpet without being hit on recovery
  • Poison Carpet counts as a projectile, so you can normal bullhorn through it
  • If you use EX Chain, the hitstop will make him using the poison carpet safe, instead it’s actually faster and easier to use regular chain.

Double poison balls

• You can Donut vskill from fullscreen if you backjump his heavy fireball version.
  • Bull slide is able to only go heavy fireball version if you do it early.
  • You can use Bullhorn to close the distance as well (probably not safe, though)
  • Only attacks that go into an animation can safely bypass the dropping poison balls (spd, throw, chains, …)
  • You can EX Chain on reaction if you’re close enough
  • If Fang does the short version, where he throws it straight up and making a wall pretty much, then you’ll most likely trade with it if you throw out a regular normal. If you’re on point, you can bullhorn through it if u’re close enough, albeit it’s not easy to have 24/7 charge

Speaking of Mika, if she dropkicks on block, does she just get in for free? I can’t do a fucking thing against that move.