Birdie Matchup Thread: Mash Potato!

She’s +2 on block, that’s why you want to stop her before she lands it with anti airs or armor.

What’s the data on Necali’s “stomps”?

LK VALIANT REBELLION
Start up: 14
On Block: -4
NOTES
Force standing on hit; projectile hitboxes, front leg is projectile invincible

MK VALIANT REBELLION
Start Up: 19
On Block: -2
NOTES
Projectile hitboxes, front leg is projectile invincible

HK VALIANT REBELLION
Start up: 23
On Block: 0
NOTES
Projectile hitboxes, front leg is projectile invincible

I’ve been having a huuuuuge problem with Bison. Any insight to this matchup would be greatly appreciated.

Anti-airing him is no problem unless he goes to do stomps. Bull Slide lets me get in and F.HK (overhead) checks charging Bisons but its not enough. Pressure from Bison is overwhelming and he has so many moves that are plus on block. I’m at a loss… This matchup is tough as nails imo.

The thing is you outclass Bison at range, he can’t get in on you unless you fuck up. AA every headstomp, bait slide with neutral jump, press buttons when they teleport in, etc.

he’s - on every scissor kick except EX, his slide is punishable on block, you can easily antiair his various options from the air with c.mk.If you’re scared of the devil reverse/headstomps, you can always use bullhorn, even if it whiffs, you’ll be far away for him to punish. The banana isn’t that helpful, since even if he doesnt whiff punish you, after blocking his air specials he won’t be forced to block it.
Bison also has no reversal except super, so get in that ass once you get in.
Sometimes doing less is more, at least with birdie

Here’s how you easily “fuck up” you press MK or HP and he jumps in, you can’t anti air in time. You fucked up.
If he scissor kicks, you fucked up because he’s safe.

I could go on about multiple “fuck ups” that aren’t practical but it really isn’t that hard for Bison. Not in my opinion unless there’s some secret neutral I don’t know about yet. Please enlighten me.

This is where I take the bulk of my damage from. When someone like Laura does this its over…

Any tips on the Karin matchup? It feels like every button she hits beats everything I have, and anyone good won’t stay off of me.

Nash is such a huge pain in the ass. His fireball game is too strong and you can’t chain him on reaction. What the hell do you even do in this matchup aside from cr. M his moonsaults and jump ins? His dash is a free grab… really hard to react to.

be offensiv vs nash as soon as you gain a knockdown. this helps a lot and use can to get close to him

Week 1 advice. stop poking with hp and st.mk on auto pilot and try mixing in walking forward, neutral j.mp/hp and cr.lp into your neutral game. You can block scissors all day. 1 neutral jump lands you a big return. Cr.lp is fast enough to aa cr.mp after and is a fine poke to stuff advances.

Yes Nash and Sim can really zone you out. I play a more defensive Birdie, so these match-ups are just not fun at all.
I try to eat as many donuts in these match-ups as I can, so I can play a bit more rush-downy in V-trigger mode.

Most Nash players I’ve faced will Moonsault if down on life. Be sure to practice cr. mp/cr. hp xx can(banana in corner, also if you have V-trigger and one ex you can make turn this into good damage)/bullhorn/super vs it. The most important one I feel you want to get down is cr. hp because you have can out to get them to do something afterwards that you can react to. Or, if they don’t quick rise you can run a mixup using lk/mk revenger to either get behind or stay in front as the can hits them waking up.

Also, from 2/3rds to fullscreen some Nash players will boom into moonsault. A good way to deal with this is charge for horn while walking him down. If you see him take to the air, release and you will pass the boom and hit him clean. Also about the booms, one thing I have noticed is that ex bullhorn is something I personally start charging around half screen distance instead of regular bullhorn because it gets to him faster. This is an option to think about if you have V-trigger ready, to convert into big damage.

Closing the distance, utilize f + hp and slide as well from a little inside half screen. f + hp is really good for dealing with backfist , sweep, and st. hk. Be ready to combo into a mp headbutt or ex chain for the conversions off crush counters.

But all in all, be patient. Walk him down and block booms unless you have a read on the rhythm, be able to punish moonsault as much as possible, and find distances to either whiff punish or armor through his big normals.

I wanted to do a double post to share some things I learned in terms of punishments vs. Karin and Fang.

vs Karin: if she ever does normal xx command dash and you block, you can get a free reversal killing head every time. Other options to consider are just v-reversal if you find her canceling anything into special moves. Keep in mind that most of the better Karins will opt to cancel into shoulder or just walk out of your range to bait a poke

vs. Fang: if the player does normal xx lp projectiles, you can either killing head this, OR if you have a meter, do st. lp/lk/mp xx ex bullhead xx V-trigger, ender. This gets you out of a potential ex command dash cancel, essentially putting you in a sandwich between Fang and the projectiles. Also, some Fangs will wake up with ex dash since it has strike invincibility. Throw or killing head will counter this.

Chun’s fucking hard

Hardest matchups for me are definitely Chun / Vega.

i think the worst match ups for birdie are sim(7-3), fang also nash is a bit dificult.
what people do vs sim? pick another character? lol.

I think overall Birdie feels best as a defensive/footsie grappler, who has ok anti-fireball moves.

If I’m playing against a character who wants to get in, I feel like I have the advantage (until they get in lol). Examples: Laura, Karin, Zangief
If I’m playing against a character that I need to approach and pressure, they have the advantage. Examples: Dhalsim, Chun-Li, Vega

Birdie’s problems are IMO that he can’t really force people to come at him which makes defensive characters really hard, and his close up tools are little lacking when super offensive characters are in his face.

Thoughts?

During a match with Sim was able to consistently punish a blocked St.HP with EX bullhorn from midrange. Wonder if I can do that with his other limbs.