Birdie Combo/Tech Thread: Chain (and Banana and Soda Can?) Combos

came up with this

I like this mixup since it’s great to put on the pressure on an opponent who’s almost stunned for example, but it would be neat to include what would happen if they quick rise and back quick rise.
If they normal quick rise, does the can hit meaty, or is it right in front of them?

i was testing quick rise and back roll.
if they quick rise they will still be forced to block the can giving you free pressure.
if they back roll it’s still pressure but they don’t have to immediately block the can.
if you’re in the corner it’s better to do banana (the can doesn’t work) as they will be forced to block it.

you can also use the light version of the chain to not cross up and still combo afterwards if opponent catches on.

I am having trouble with st.mp XX Bullhead XX VT , LP Bullhead. I only rarely can get the VT Flame to connect.

It feels like when it does connect i did the VT Cancel a tiny bit later but i cant get that consistently

Bullhead is a corner-only combo, that’s why you’re having inconsistencies with the VT flame.
If you meant Bullhorn combo instead of Bullhead, it’s much easier to connect the VT flame if u started the combo point blank with cMP instead of sMP.

Thought I’d leave a piece of scummy Birdie tech I found in this thread for you degens.

Requirements - Full V-Trigger, one EX.

Start with any grounded combo into EX Bullhead xx V-Trigger (make sure you VTC the first hit of the EX Bullhead). Normally from this point (after the VTC), depending on spacing you have enough frames to either do a s.mp xx whatever to extend the combo for decent damage, or c.hp xx whatever if you’re close or have them cornered. As an example, assuming I had these resources available, the cross-up combo I use with Birdie is:

j.mp, s.lk, c.mp xx EX Bullhead xx VTC, c.hp xx Bullhorn - 325 Damage/522 Stun. Pretty respectable.

However, none of those options leads to as much damage or stun as the following string…

j.mp, s.lk, c.mp xx EX Bullhead xx VTC, s.mp xx LK Bull Revenger - 449 (245+204) Damage/657 (427+230) Stun

The problem with tech like this is that it is the kind of thing that has to be used incredibly sparingly, otherwise it is just super obvious. This isn’t something you do in the first round of your first set. You should go almost the whole match just using your typical combo so the opponent gets used to seeing it and isn’t waiting to mash something when you reset them. This is the kind of thing you break out in the last round of the last game of your set in order to close the game out or get that last bit you need for stun, etc.

I suppose if you play against someone familiar with this tech, you could go further into next leveling them by doing:

EX Bullhead xx VTC, s.mp xx NOTHING, wait for them to whiff a reversal, then s.rh for the CC and profit.

Just something cute I abandoned:

Anti-air cr.MPxxLK Revenger, timed right, catches them if they block upon landing (and still beats buttons). Compared to just waiting and doing Killing Head it’ll deal less damage/stun, but the upshot is that a neutral jump punish won’t work against the Revenger if they read a throw. As always, throw-immune and invincible stuff breezes through, so this isn’t very useful unless you don’t want to hedge your bets on the grab.

EDIT: And, duh, it’s Revenger. Decent reactions avoid it easily, so…

So what are Birdo’s frame traps?

Crush Counter combos when already in VT
sHK, dash, HP Killing Head – 361 / 396
sHK, cHP xx Bullhorn – 365 / 475
sHK, cHP xx HK Hanging Chain – 395/ 475
sHK, walk, sHK, sLP xx MP Bullhead – 400 / 527 – CA is 652
sHK, walk, sHK, cMP xx MP Bullhead – 429 / 551 – CA is 674
(airborne only) sHK, cHP xx HP Bullhead – 375 / 475 – CA is 689 dmg

Going by FAT’s frame data

Basic reliable ones
cr.LK -> st.LK (2f)
st.LK -> st.LK (1f)
cr.LP -> st.LK (2f)
st.LP -> st.LK (1f)

cr.LK has tiny pushback on block, so you can actually do

cr.LK(blocked at close range) > st.LK st.LK xx Bullhead and it will still combo.

However if the cr.LK hits, you need to confirm the Bullhead early.

Ballsy:
st.HK -> st.LK or cr.LK (HK is 0 on block so this is not great)
st.HK -> st.MP/cr.LP for possible whiff punish, HK pushback is pretty big

Meter:
EX Bullhead 1st hit xx VT = +9

->True string into all lights and most mediums
-> cr.mk (1f) - unsafe, uncancellable
-> cr.hp (1f) - unsafe if no cancel
-> cr.HK (3f) - unsafe, uncancellable
-> st.HK (4f) - safe, crush counter potential
-> LP bullhead - u crazy

Anyone know where I can get reliable VT frame data? I swear seeing something, EX Bullhead in VT is 8f iirc, but I can’t source it.

So I managed to combo s.HK off an EX horn trade. Probably useless but I thought I’d post it anyway.

https://youtu.be/wv8_fR5U_lI

crossup mp, c lk, s lp, qcf+lp
^
Seems like a no-brainer, solid crossup into low into special move combo, right? WRONG! WWWHHHYYY won’t this hit? The s lp always gets blocked!

cr.LK is +4 on hit , but st.LP is 5 frames, so it can’t combo in that situation. Birdie’s lights don’t chain (kek) either so it has to be links.

However, just do cr.LK into st.LK instead, that will work and is also a frametrap if the cr.LK is blocked.

The light changes to Birdie were so weird. QOL reduced heavily.

Hit ANY light. Link sLK. Confirm into LP Bullhead.

‘QOL reduced heavily’…

:coffee:

Thank you thank you thank you! I will be doing crossup mp, c lk, s lk>qcf+lp for the next 10 years. Thanks Sheldon! What is QOL?

Cr lp,st lk, into lp bullhead seems easier than st lp, st lk lp bullhead is there any reason to use one over the other?

Edit: when I say easier I mean to hit confirm into lp bullhead

Better advantage on block if you use sLP (+3 vs. +2).

any reason you’d use st.lp st.lk bullhead vs st.lk st.lp bullhead? st.lk is 4f startup, st.lp is 5f - so you’re more likely to actually punish stuff if you start with st.lk

For punishment use s mp to qcf+mp better range and damage. The point of c lk, s lk is to start low. Hey are there any websites to find updated, accurate frame data for free?