Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition season VI, RIP MarkMan's #BeardStache

i did not know this until i watched a mvg video the new xoss console…

for $20 payment to microsoft via your xbox live account, you can run dev mode on xo, xos, xox, xoss and xosx consoles and you can run retroarch emulators

im now on the lookout for xo, og version that came out 2013, im sure i can grab one for peanuts

2 Likes

Unrelated: I had to read your message a few times to figure out what “xoss” was, since it’s “Xbox Series X/S” (no “One” in the name). :slight_smile:

Related: That’s… actually kinda interesting. Not necessarily some thing I’d do to my OG Xbox One, but it’s interesting that they’d offer that. I guess it makes sense if they saw it as an opportunity for “Well, people are going to want to hack our console anyways. Might as well charge them a fee (make money off of it), and let them do it somewhat legitimately?”

2 Likes

Well Dev mode is a locked down sandbox.
You can write code for it, but you can’t touch bare metal with in the console. Dev mode isnt a jail break, its there to take away motivation for actual hacking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114537881348

Tempting…

EDIT: I bought one. Screw it!

2 Likes

Make your own Skeleton Saturn

1 Like

I think I saw someone mention in a chat in the last day or two using the X-Box Series X (that’s the newest one, right?) in dev mode to emulate the Dreamcast. :laughing:

I think this is a reasonably fair review

I see where the claims of every joystick could fit steams from now, look like 8bitdo cloned someone’s universal mount plate.

One downside I see due to the contrsuction is you can’t pull out the PCB entirely without loosing alot of the functionality, and I don’t mean the wireless abilities.

2 Likes

Oh yeah you use the Dev mode to side load your own apps, and some of the apps just happen to be stuff like Emulators. There even idiots who claiming Microsoft is condoning piracy.
Like Microsoft just gave you the tools, its not their fault how others use those tools.
Plus Dev mode gives alot of people less incentive to hack the console.

Apparently for limited period you can download retroarch and use it in normal retail mode, you need to join the debs discord and he will whitelist you

Currently only works in Dev mode which does not allow you to play retailgames unless boot out of Dev mode and back in to normal consumer/retail mode takes about a minute.

Haven’t tried myself as i only have ps3, was just passing time

2 Likes

Are you going to skip the PS4 gen entirely and go PS5?

May as well as the bulk of the PS4 library is playable on the PS5.
And unlike the PS5 games, you can off load PS4 games to a high speed HDD with USB 3.0.

Anyone get anything decent over Black Friday / Cyber Monday?

Got a Plex lifetime subscription for $90

Almost pulled the trigger on…

Qanba Pearl for $160 from the Eightarc store
32GB DDR4-3600 for $100 from Newegg
and
a new New 2DS XL (ha ha trrrible name) for $120 at my local GameStop

Wasn’t really blown away on prices/not worth the risk going outside for a 2DS

This year’s Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales here up north in Canada kinda sucked, for geek stuff anyways.

I did get:
[Switch] Fire Emblem Three Houses
[Switch] Link’s Awakening (both this and FE3H were sales mandated by Nintendo)
[Switch] Trials of Mana
[PS4] Life is Strange 2
a gaming chair for my working-from-home setup (been using an $8 IKEA stool for 9 months now)

In theory, Boxing Day is usually a better period for deals/sales than Black Friday/Cyber Monday (since we just adopted that from the US), so I’m hoping for some more scores in a month from now.

1 Like

na, ps3 is my final generation

still not really scratched the surface in terms of what i have and how much i have played

Still a nice haul, FE3H is a great game, I did the campaigns, blue guy, red girl, yellow guy, friends say the opposite order is more interesting. Enjoy!

Yeah what a big qaulity of life difference when you get an actually good chair! (Still a floor warrior with my MAS stick tho :laughing: )

1 Like

You use any game trackers to see how deep the hole is @anzhar @drawnfix ? Afraid to do this myself, my backlog is rediculious!

1 Like

The Retro tink shop having a black Friday sale till 12 PST tonight, use promo code TINKYFRIDAY

I once started one of them, and i thought i would rather spend my limited on gaming

Was doing some moving around, found some old stuff

2 Likes

Nah…I am definitely NOT organized enough to track my backlog. I’m still digging thru the Saturn and Dreamcast libraries to give much focus to the new stuff TBH.

Not digging into PS5 until I clear much of my PS4 and Switch backlog. Hopefully by then PS5 won’t be as hideous (look as close to a vertical room fan) as it does now.

Might actually jump on Xbox Series X though. I never had an Xbox before and I’m interested in the next Forza Motorsport.

Have been digging around lately on 3D printing sites for some better grips for my not XL New 3DS and my DS Lite (GBA is feels so much better to hold).

Got this in my GameStop spam this morning, and looks to tick all the boxes.

PS its $60 at GameStop and $40 direct from HyperX :man_facepalming:

2 Likes