Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition season VI, RIP MarkMan's #BeardStache

After SFV any future Street Fighter titles are now ‘wait and see’ purchases for me rather than pre-order or day 1 buys. COVID is really exposing just how shit the online experience is for almost every fighting game that’s come out recently. Like I see the news that Granblue got a new patch and then I remember why I stopped playing that game (hint: the netcode is hot garbage). I’m really hoping that GG:Strive manages to pull Japanese fighting game developers out of this tailspin.

1 Like

I hear you.
SF4 and MvC3 were revitalizing games, but SFV and MvCI were not.

My main problem about fighting games in my situation is that the people around me who used to play with me have stopped playing entirely, which in turn discourages me from continuing to practice/train.

Fortunately, I have a bunch of guys from work with whom I played Smash Ultimate with at the office, and now we all still play together online, so that’s why it’s pretty much the only thing that I’m playing these days.

1 Like

Don’t feel bad. I’m pretty much these days on a PS2, Saturn, Dreamcast & MiSTer so my only challenger is the CPU. Now if only I had the balls to max out difficulty :wink:

P.S. Might give Fightcade another go. It’s been a while. Has it improved at all in the last couple of years?

P.PS. I just got me a Ramtron FM1808-70-SG chip for a Saturn FRAM mod. Anyone recommend a good hot air rework station for less than $300? I’ve come across THIS one which seems decent, and I don’t have the clams for a Hakko. Thx.

1 Like

I’m not quite in the same boat from a community stand point as there is a decent number of people in my region for a variety of games. That said, I don’t see a point in supporting companies that don’t support their player bases. That means I expect, on day 1, exceptional netcode, functional online matchmaking and a robust training mode. Failure in any of these categories at this point makes a game a hard pass for me. I don’t feel like fighting the game itself as I try to improve at it. The developer panel from a month or two ago did not instill much hope in me that some of the larger developers (Capcom and Bandai Namco specifically) had any real desire to improve in these areas.

1 Like

Reading between the lines…

There was a lot of “roll back netcode is hard” coded excuses from the panel

YES ITS HARD, BUT ITS IMPORTANT!!!

re Fightcade, Super Turbo New Legacy looks fun

1 Like

So we got a interest thread going on for those who want to be in Secret Santa

This is just a interest thread and not a sign up

If I am going to run it, it be the same TT rules we always had.

If this dude can make rollback work on a NES and print a wi-fi antenna directly on the PCB then Japanese developers can get fucked with their BS excuses.

1 Like

Stealing this

Admittedly, the /r/fightsticks discord is where I spend a lot of my free time now outside of the occasional login. The discord is far and away better than the subreddit is.

So I am mulling over the idea.
Should I stick a US or Japanese Saturn into this clear case I got preordered?

My Japanese Saturn has a case stuck together with some Tamya cement
And the US console is kidna beaten up as well.

I do think a clear case with the grey and pink buttons would look cool.

Any recommendations as to where to get clear cases?
In particular looking for a Dreamcast one. I remember back in the early 2000s there was tons of replacement cases available all over the place, but I have no idea where to get them anymore.

There only two places now where you aren’t going to get robbed

https://www.muramasaentertainment.com/

and

They got a selection of Dreamcast stuff, a bit higher than what you used to remember.
But better than the eBay prices on older cases.

Normal crystal cases are 69.99, and prices go up from there

Wow, looking though I didn’t know that Game Tech got cheaper prices.

There also an Australian seller on eBay hdzoneau, but I only recommend him if you are in Australia

2 Likes

Thanks.
I had asked around on Twitter or Instagram as well, and someone recommended VideoGamesNewYork. I’ve never ordered from them before, but I’ve visited their store when I was in NY for a vacation a few years back, and I’ve bought from them when they come to Montreal for ComicCon or Otakuthon.

1 Like

I got stuff from VideoGamesNewYork when they were at Otakon. They sold me the parts to my first Arcade stick build ever.
But I never ordered from them. They got Dreamcast shells starting at $99.99.
I forgot you were up north, It would depend on if you save on shipping or not if I could recommend them.

1 Like

Dropped for the clear one, eh? Nice! I’m waiting for the smoke for a super scuffed up black model 2 I’ve got in the closet. Based on what muramasa stayed on Twitter, it might be a while before that launches

1 Like

Yeah, they are unsure about the demand yet. So they wanted to hold off.
See if they get interest first. There is a huge lack of Saturn parts on the market.

It was why I was buying multiple for parts consoles. At least with the Dreamcast you can find parts online.

If your Saturn breaks, except for certain parts (like the drive or Power board) you are SOL.
Worst part is, with all the revisions not all the model 2 Saturns parts match up right. You got 3 styles of PSU boards for each region, and they come in 15 revisions like the Saturn console it self.

2 Likes

Yeah I remember buying junk/for parts model 2s pretty cheaply…like for 25 bucks…only a couple of years ago. Now they’re the price of what I used to buy confirmed tested. Price for these things In good condition is kinda crazy nowadays

These shells looks great. I’m still debating on a smoke “This is Cool” shell for my spare DC. If they drop the same logo print on the smoke Saturn shell, I’m buying.

2 Likes

I know the Smoke is in the works, and the test samples are out.

I know all the clear PS1 cases out are old stock from years ago and is pricy on eBay.
Hopefully that also gets the same treatment as the Dreamcast/Saturn cases.

2 Likes

Gotcha. So they’re pricier than the other 2 that you linked me to.
I’ll keep an eye out. This is all kind of lower priority anyways right now; not really working on any stick/arcade/console mods at the moment.

1 Like