Best MODOK teams for top tier play

I entered a 38 man tournament on guam and Ipplaced 5th (dok/strange/doom). I went 8-0 in my pools and did ok in top 8. A very cool format but I ended losing to a ryu/vergil/wesker player who TODed my characters on any touch.

My strange is ckearly my weakest part. I have a pocket cap/vergil/doom which I bring in a lot but im debating on going back to dok/dorm/doom or maybe even dok/haggar/doom. Not sure. Im thinking lariat will provide me that insurance to keep guys off but, not sure if I can make the most of the chemistry. There is no safe dhc there right?

I wish my strange was better. I tried to snipe xfactor some guys and I have no idea y it dropped for me sometimes. Was really frustrating. I also didnt make the most of eye assist incoming. Guess it just tskes practice but im an old man and I dont have the execution of u young guys!

I really like Vergil/DOK/Missiles and Doom/DOK/Vergil. Kensanity, just succumb and play Dok/Vergil/Doom. You’ll win more.

Yeah its a pretty solid team. The rapid slash assist can really help zoning if you time it well. Also, on incoming, u can do something similar to what u can do with strange eye of agamatto and lock them down for a mixup. (not sure if they can just hit the rapid slash or what not)

Anyway, my issue is DHCing from Modok to Vergil in combo. Like if I end with HBR, my DHC options are kind of limited unless I do f, df, db, df with my HBR (which seems kind of lame).

So i’ve been trying to do an ender that will let me do some sword loops. I’ve been doing opener, S, sj MMHS, land slime fly, jS, L cube, S, sj MMxx M cube, air HPB, then as the opponent falls down in an untechable state, I DHC to swords. From there I"ve been doing j d+H, j d+H, Round trip, but I’m stuck right here. Not sure if this is the best way to start whatever sword loop. with captain america my DHC sword loop is SH L orb, release round trip, L orb, lunar phase then whatever.

and i’m guessing that beam is best modok assist to use with vergil? or anyone seen anyone use bomb/barrier with vergil?

There is definitely some synergy with the team and its much easier to play than dr strange. dr strange way cooler though. Vergil so played out.

The thing about Vergil and Dok is that Dok uses his groundbounce in his bnb’s. So even if you do something like HPB into Swords, you won’t net the full benefit of having Vergil to DHC into. Unless I am missing something. I feel the proper way to tier whore with MODOK actually doesn’t really involve Vergil, and is more along the lines of Mags, Dorm, or Morrigan + Doom.

I’m actually having a hard time sticking with my team and not just going with Dok/Dorm/Missiles. I really think that team is probably the strongest overall team for top tier play using Dok on point.

I’ve been messing around with Viper/Dok/Strider and it seems pretty fun. Burst time into HPB nets some good damage with a followup, Viper can use Dok’s assist similar to Plasma Beam (besides combo extensions, if you want the HPB combos). Also funny to guard break somebody in the corner with Dok on point, just do cr.H + call Burn Kick> addf> cr.H and Burn Kick hits. The only problem is that, if Viper dies, the team basically falls apart. Getting them to the corner with MODOK is also more difficult without missiles.

having Dok second with strider last is a bit problematic because It is hard to extend Modok’s combo’s in a meaningful way with just Vajra. I really don’t recommend Dok with vajra without a character in between who can help modok net his wallbounce easily. although Dok can corner carry just fine by himself with the right combos.

deleted.

I’ve tried random middle characters like captain america, taskmaster, super skrull and shuma gorath but none of them provided what these 4 provided. However, i think its pretty important to be able to DHC safely into the second character so i’m removing Haggar from my list of characters to kind of build a modok team with and stick with dorm, strange or vergil. I haven’t tried Strider or Morrigan but i’m sure they are probably very good. Not really ready to give morrigan a try yet. think i want to develop one of the other shells completely first.

Kyzertron from London, England plays:
ZERO/M.O.D.O.K/SENTINEL

It works really well, but I’ve been trying my hardest to get a Jamming Bomb setup for him using any one of Zero’s assists (Ryujin preferably).

That would even out the team.

You can find his matches on YouTube via Ldn Joseph’s channel,

M.O.D.O.K Spiderman Dr Doom is being slept on.

Web ball covers M.O.D.O.K so well during rushdown because Spidey comes out behind his wide frame so you can just call it even under heavy pressure and not have any fear of a happy birthday

Also Killer Illumination -> Ultimate Web Throw sets up some nasty unblockables that should lead to TOD

I like modok/missles and spidey/missles but I could never get behind this team because of spidermans assists. Web ball is usable but only average if not below average, imo. The best thing about this team is once you get two meters match-ups change completely and you have a few ways to land the uwt dhc during your normal cube patterns. Problem is if you are fishing for that you are putting yourself in a position where you are sitting on the ground not calling assists which is only useful in a few situations.

In all honestly, I’m really liking the DOK/Strange/Doom Synergy…I just have to learn strange. Dorm is SO much more my style.

Any more detailed thoughts about this team, specifically with Doom using Plasma Beam? I see that you don’t believe it to be an “endgame” level team for Dok but is it still a team worth playing in the long run?

I play Dok/Doom/Dante.

It’s very good. LTP has a video of some neat tech with the team, but I think Doom/Dante is a stronger order overall.

I would recommend switching between Missiles and Plasma based on matchup.

Yes, I believe it’s a solid team and that it’s worth playing in the long run. It’s probably an “endgame” level team for Dok as well, just not the best imo. With Dok/Doom/Dante, you can get jamming bombs using either assist by itself after a corner carry, though it’s tricky to do that with Jam Session. Since you have great neutral assists and you can get jamming bombs in, that’s enough to carry out the basic point Dok game plan.

1. Hit first character, jam them, and snap in the anchor.
  2. Incoming setup on anchor. If you get the hit, burn your meter to kill.
  3. Incoming setup on second character. If you get the hit, burn XF if necessary.
  4. Kill jammed character. You’ll either have XF or a lot of meter at this point.

That’s the gist of it. The nice thing is that you don’t really need meter or XF to plow through a team thanks to jamming bomb. If you can’t kill a character, you can just jam and snap. This means you are free to use your resources in neutral for things like HPB into XF to kill from fullscreen.

As for more team specific stuff, Jam Session gives Dok the easy left/right 50/50 for incoming setups, and it’s probably Dok’s favorite assist at the start of the round. You can convert off of Jam Session easily enough, but you can’t do too much off of it. Going for a jam and snap using Plasma Beam is probably what you’d want off of those conversions. Plasma Beam is nice for getting in and confirming H cube hits, and it’s also good for getting your own zoning started. Also, combos aren’t really character specific and they work in 2 for 1 situations, so you don’t have to worry much about that.

Below is a video I made for the team with some combos and incoming setups. There are some slight variations for some of the combos in the video that I find better though, but most of the important stuff I have for the team is there. I actually played the team in the Dok/Doom/Dante order, but that was mostly because I’m much more confident in my Doom than my Dante.

I’m assuming based on characters who want to destroy me up close vs. characters who aren’t as concerned with rushing me down?

Also, wow, thanks for the write-up, LTP. Gonna look into all that and see what I can do.

I dunno if I’d simplify it that much.

I find Plasma Beam more helpful vs some rushdown characters because of how far back it comes out, but obv Missiles is also a free combo breaker. Missiles is harder to protect, but covers your approaches even against primarily aerial characters. But Plasma also complements Modok’s ground beams very well and gives him total ground control. Even if a character ducks a Blaster, they’ll (usually) have to block Plasma Beam if you call it before, and that gives you time to set up a Barrier, or move in with a grounded airdash, or whatever you want. Both are excellent assists, with Missiles being much more versatile, of course.

Hmm. I looked through the thread and it looks like the general consensus is that MODOK with just Vajra doesn’t cut it?

I was experimenting with Nova/DOK/Strider and liked the fact that MODOK gives my point Nova some high damage combos with his post hyper extensions.

Does Dok/Strider just not work? I really like Nova and Strider with Blaster assist.

It works, but once Nova dies, Dok/Strider lacks damage. You’ll either have to spend a lot of meter or burn XF2 and go into an infinite if you want to get the kill, or tag in Strider and go for TACs to do so. You can also for jamming bombs with Vajra into a snap or reset. That said, converting off of blasters from fullscreen with Vajra is certainly nice.

I could send you some bnbs for the team later this week if you want. I’m not sure if it’s possible after a HPB extension, but you might be able to optimize damage after HPB with Vajra doing something like (S, TK L bomb, Vajra hits, L cube, f.H, M blaster, HBR).

I want to use Nova/modok as well… Was thinking Vergil.

Is modok able to use rapid slash to extend combos?

If not, what anchors go well with that shell? I know drones are great, but would rather not use sent.