Ask Xian

xian when is next time u gonan stream i wanna watch u play agian?

If it is okay for you, I would like to request for match-up knowledge against Vega/Claw. Our local player is Jozhear, and it looks like all the toolsets I’m trying to utilize is getting walled by his normals. While I need to step up as a player to have a chance to beat him, I would like to know the approach you usually take against Vegas who take a really offensive approach against Gen.

I second this request.

All I’ve been able to do is either counterpoke them right outside their poking range, or FA lvl 1 (must work better in 2012 with a forward dash afterwards).
Close enough, and it’s easy to frame trap them.

I always save EX for EX Gekiro since it’s the best way to punish dives (auto-corrected of course).
Still, it’s a tough matchup.

The one miraculous normal that usually rapes most of the stuff they do is s.mp.
Stuffs several of his normals, including cosmic heel. Just whiffing it from afar is cool.

thanks alot al mantis , its works for me :slight_smile:

Regarding the claw/Vega matchup … Ok let me say my experience against claw since i played alot with claws …
I played Jozhear as well as i stay at his house while i was there for canada cup and overall
i felt the matchup is on Gen’s favour either 6-4 or 7-3 …
** **means important and take more notice **

Ultra 1 is better for this matchup because you can punish all kind of dives.
I cant really explain how to counterpoke them out of their poking range , experience counts.
**However , 1 very important thing i notice is very has very poor anti-air.
Its either they baited for Gen to jump and air throw , or most of the time they have to block.
**Gen jump is short , so jumping in unpredicably or when vega is focusing on playing footsies is very important.
Dont be afraid to press your button early when jumping ( dont whiff it of cos ) , because its adds diffculty for vega to anti air…
Cosmic heel at the max range or outside of Gen’s poke range is very strong tool to punish Gen’s footsies , so becareful.
When attacking Vega , never underestimated his ex scarlet terror. Eg. After Gen did jab jab , and tried to delay abit to frame
trap or kara throw or walk forward. If vega EX scarlet terror after blocking few jabs or 2 jabs , it will beat all of Gen’s option.
Bait it sometimes , dont waste your chance when you already get in.

**After getting backthrow by Vega , Vega will do a safe jump forward mp most of the time . At this moment ,
Just release your joystick most of the time ( 1f invincibility) and press any button (up to you) , or kara throw or even
jump forward to confuse him.
If the vega is good , he will probably safe jump forward mp and option select slide. So occassionally you can release your
stick and make use of the 1f invincibility to make the mp whiff , then neutral jump to punish his option select.
However , dont ever release your stick if vega does safe jump after forward throw. Its too dangerous to do it.

Thats about all i can think for now , hope it helps :slight_smile:

Xian, please break down the chun li match up. I’m getting destroyed lately by chun li

I need help with this too. I feel pretty helpless if she has momentum.

xian would u consider making your own live streaming when u play online eg 27/7

Sorry to bump an old thread but this was the only Q&A thread in sight. It would be cool if Xian would answer this but I would like everyone’s input.

What are some of the good technical habits that a Gen player should have?
Such as:
Hitting :3k: for final hit on Gekiro for Oga setups
Plinking MK with HP
Hiding stance changes in pokes, backdashes, etc

Also, what are some bad habits Gen players might have or develop that they may over look?

I might as well use the fact this thread has been bumped as an opportunity to congratulate Xian on winning OHNX. Evo points baby.

I join to the congratulations :slight_smile: amazing Gen!

congratultion to xian winning ohnx very impression gameplay u really outsmart the the bison in final match

Congratulations Xian. :slight_smile: That was a good surprise today.

congrats XIAN

congrats xian, is there video of this great victory haha

There is. http://de.twitch.tv/ozhadou/b/309050920
Xian’s Matches: 44:00-48:30, 1:21:00-1:28:30 und 1:38:00-1:48:00.

amazing

very nice use of lk gekiro’s big fat hitbox and active frames