Ask Xian

Hey Xian,
Im actually a Guile player, and I see that you say its a bad matchup for Gen, I wanted to know why you think? and how do you feel Guile has to play in that match? I tend to struggle in that match a bit cuz of Gen’s jump arc

Gen has a fast recover fireball making it Hard for Gen to get in, Guile can always blow Gen out of the air with his gdlike anti airs. for Gen it turns into a battle of footsies where he has to painfully make his way in, and a good guile can keep you out till the cows come home

I notice sometimes that you typically do [m]cr.lk, st.lp, TC2 xx lk Gekiro. Is the st. lp easier for you to use, in your opinion? I think it would whiff on certain crouching characters.
Also, how useful would you rate cross-up Ogas?

Hmm, I thought that U2 was a better ultra in this matchup because it stops Dhalsim from throwing fireballs and also beats his anti airs? Since getting close to Sim is so important, wouldn’t Teiga basically shut down Dhalsim’s fireball and keepaway tools. When Gen has Teiga stocked Sim has to be careful every time Gen jumps, so this can help open up more oppurtunities to get in, safely… Also with U2 Gen doesn’t need to worry about chip damage/ blocking yoga fire mixups/ and it also wins air to air against dhalsim. IMO teiga is a great tool against Sim, if only Mantis U2 was better though…

what do you think of the bison matchup?

i think its even 5-5 if you dont get cornered

Just been watching you run sets against Itabashi. I’m still pretty new to Gen so I was curious what mixups you suggest? and how to get into your opponents head as Gen?

This, please. I struggle with the Bison matchup all day, and I’ve yet to get real solid advice that works. So far I’ve found that I can avoid bad situations by dashing under Bison every time he jumps for a stomp or flying arm thing, but I still can never get in to do damage against a defensive Bison. Do you have any thoughts on how to deal with Bison players?

Earlier you mentioned that you only see U2 being good against characters with slow fireballs, like rose and dhalsim. I haven’t tried it yet but I was actually thinking it could be very good against fei long when he uses chicken wing. After getting a knockdown you could pretend to go for applied pressure and then just jump back and bait a chicken wing then U2. Thoughts?

hi xian u got ssf4ae on pc ?

Hey Xian,

Good seeing you in the 8v8 on the weekend, I’ve gotta say I wasn’t sold on your Gen for a while but figured you only needed time to get the decision making for meter building & use down as Gen (Coming from Yun I expected that to be really hard :P)

Gotta say that your Gen is really impressive and it’s great to see you getting better with him :smiley:

Once 2012 drops for console, you up for a race to 10 in mirror :3 (I’ll get squashed but I’ll train to make sure that doesn’t happen :P)

-Moose

**hey guys sorry for not being able to reply , i will reply all posts on next tuesday as i am busy recently … THis sunday i am heading to the china tournament with sako , air , combofiend , dakou , xiaohai and mago. Now training hard getting some more practice before i fly off on friday … **

I am streaming SSF4 AE 2012 now too … playing gen , so check it out … it will be streamed from now till 10 hours later :slight_smile:

www.twitch.tv/crosscounterasia

The fanboy inside me hates you, Xian :smiley:

You could watch my stream , As i play with gameouttt alot , i getting very used to this matchup now and experience and reading opponent is probably the most important for this matchup :slight_smile:

st.l is easier to connect, however shouldnt use it if opponent is crouching cos it does whiffs certain characters…
Oga crossups are useful , depending on how good your precision is. Its a tool to make opponent fear , gen is very executional based , you have to master certain crossup ogas well , its quite important :slight_smile:

**Dhalsim still has slide, i do think its optional depending on player for this matchup. U1 or U2 both is good. While i felt U1 can prevent dhalsim from doing jump back overback against me , can do reaction U1 if near dhalsim when dhalsim does the u1 , combo ability… **

U2 requires alot of mind games, when U1 is more stable . Thats for me i feel…

Footsies and solid anti-air is wat you need in this matchup…

Its really diffcult more bison to anti air against Gen , if Gen knows how to randomise his jump in… U1 is the best ultra against bison, you need experience in this matchup to take advantage of it …

If baiting chicken wing was the only purpose , mantis jump back will do , U1 is still better , the good part about U2 is just that you can jump in and make him think twice about anti air, however i still prefer U1…

Thanks … i hope to play you !! next time we will , hope to see you again and be sure to bring me to eat kangaroo meat !! :slight_smile:

xian i saw ur 2 matches between you and tokido seth it was really good matches … but i just saw ur super bars was full and he was trying to hit you with his stretch HP and actually u can punish that stretch hand with ur super … seth recovery it takes time …
seth + rufus stretch hand if u block it = punish with HP super …
Good luck