Are the Mortal Kombat Fight Stick PCBs common ground? (Dual mod possibilities?)

Does anyone know if the Mortal Kombat Fight Stick (made by PDP, the stick that comes with Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition) has a common ground PCB? I couldn’t really tell just from looking at a picture of it. (Also, please note that the picture that I linked to is of a prototype.) Basically, I’d like to know what will need to be done in order to dual mod this stick.

If it’s common ground, I think Toodles’ Chimp board would work well with the 360 version, and a Mad Catz FightPad or other Mad Catz PCB along with Toodles’ Imp or a DPDT switch would be ideal for the PS3 version. If it’s not common ground, however, I think an Akishop PS360 would probably do nicely. The the trick would probably be in getting the RB/R1, LT/L2, guide/home, back/select, and start buttons to work with a completely new board. It’d be possible to add buttons, but I think a lot of people, myself included, would prefer to use what’s already on the stick if at all possible.

I just thought I would share my thoughts on this one and try to figure out some solutions quickly. Also, once we know more about the PCBs, this should help people decide upon which version to buy, and what PCBs and such they’ll need to acquire in order to dual mod these sticks.

All that being said…MORTAL KOMBAT IS OUT! Hyyype. :rock:

Ya, it’s a great game especially in the offline mode!

it’s a common ground…not a very functional stick, but good for a stick collector.

It is cool so far! Offline is the way to play, if possible.

Thanks for your response. Which version(s) did you check?

360 version…its a decent stick, but considering all the modding the community has done with customs, could be easily reproduced, and I feel better, using ChimpSMD and better parts. concave buttons are for nostalgia, but the springs have too much resistance for my liking.
Funny, I use to swear by bat top, Happ Perfect 360’s, but after playing sanwa’s for so long, this stick felt almost foreign.

I took the stick apart last night to look at the PCB more closely (I have the PS3 Stick by the way). The top buttons used the rubber contacts much like a regular controller. So if you dumped the stock PCB you would have to replace all the buttons or make a custom PCB. I’m like you and would like to use the stock buttons as well. I really would like to make this stick Multi-Console using a Toodles Cthulhu. I’m going to have to research a way to remake a PCB just like the stock one so I can use the stock (home, start, select) buttons but a third party PCB. If I figure anything out I will post it here. Also if anyone else has a idea on that please post it here.

I had the same problem with the switches… I played for a whole day on that stick and all I got was blisters… hehe. I replaced all of the microswitches with Cherry’s and got rid of the e-switches. For now I’m just going to switched back to my “Combat Edition TE”. I already did the stick mod like “Rotendo” did on k-town… PDP?s Mortal Kombat FightStick and Modding | K-Town Brawlers

Here is revision 1…

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q316/punkpc/Arcade%20Sticks/Current%20Projects/th_2011-04-20_21-35-17_703.jpg
(I don’t like the red buttons, but that is just what I had extra laying around to try out)

The stick mod helped a bit, but I think I might replace the stick with a Sanwa JLW like I did in my SFAE stick.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q316/punkpc/Arcade%20Sticks/Current%20Sticks/th_IMG_0014.jpg

But I will use the JLW-UM-8 with a bat top instead of the JLW-TM-8.

Still haven’t decided on if I’m going to use convex or concave buttons on the final mod.

Keep in mind that even though the PDP Marvel Vs Capcom pad was common ground, it was not dual moddable. I tried to dual mod the PDP pad, but when it detects that it is not activated it keeps all of the buttons pressed down.

good lord, PDP fails again. Or, pwns us, however you want to look at it.

I like the idea of the memory foam on the stick, but that’s just about it. I’ll be gutting it to dual mod, thanks for the heads up.

@punkpc- honestly, my nostalgia for concave was realized when I played on them initially, but then I really started to miss my sanwas. even though you’ll never need to piano buttons or mash for MK, I guess I’m just a sucker for feathering or plinking through habit. whichever you decide, the game offers up enough fun and this’ll be another stick for the collection. Good luck to whichever you go with.

Replace them with iL competitions and take out the springs for less tension. That way, the only tension you’re getting is from the microswitches and you get the convex style buttons. And if you buy your own microswitches, you can get cherries with less engage force, so you can still have them be pretty sensitive. Nice thing about cherries is that you know when they engage and when they don’t. I don’t like that about Sanwas, too flimsy and they feel awkward to me, and mess up my game.

well ordered up a chimp board. I will post up as soon as i get it working*

*shipping to canada so…

Still, the PDP sticks are nice, but if you want a real MK stick…

ARCADE-IN-A-BOX

Yea Tim I love the Arcade in the Box stick, but I also love the MK sticks by PDP. The panel and materials are really nice and it came with a copy of the game. :wink: I already tossed an iL joystick into mine, and will be putting cherry switches on the other buttons once I get some more as I’m all out of good un-used Cherry switches.

The problem with dual modding will be their PCB though as punkpc and rtdzign have said already. I know TerryMasters was seeing issues rtdzign said so I think we may have the same issue again as with the PDP pads. So I may end up gutting their PCB to make it dual moddable and figure out something for the center buttons which I really like.

Is the iL stick that much different from the one in there already? I ordered 6 iL convex competition buttons and 4 cherry microswitches for the stick. Will the microswitches make the stick pretty much identical to the iL?

the iL stick compared to this new HAPP stick they have in there is VERY different. i think i will change mines as well. because i cant even jump at my opponent for NOTHING sometimes.

i submited a ticket in to pdp about my stick not working and they called me back with the quickness. they will be sending me a replacement stick free…you are covered two years on your MK T.E’s just to let you know.

I’m definitely looking forward to hearing about the results.

So no dual mod, but I like the idea of using competition IL’s without a spring thats what I’m going to do after PDP in Vegas it seems.

Edit: How can I confirm i this stick is common ground? I have the case off what do I check for >.<

It’s already been confirmed that the stick is NOT common ground.

It already been mentioned for dual mods, ether the stock PCB requires every modification or it has to be replaced.
Please do not ask [us] how to do a non-common PCB mod to work with a dual-mod (or ask someone to do the mod) since it is not easy at all (some will state it is not possible) All I remember of modding a non-common this way is it requires alot of cut circuit board traces and soldering diodes. And with the effort that goes into it, you are better of replacing the PCB instead.

The upside is, if you are not planing on using the lower space of the MK PDP stick for storage, there are plenty of room for modding possibilities.