Arcade players vs Console players (Yeb's Gen at West Coast Warzone)

Console characters are going to be very important later in the game’s life.

I would liken their eventual level to that of Honda, Dhalsim, Fuerte and Abel now. Those characters are not top tier. Technically, they don’t have the matchup strength that other characters do. Yet you look at players like Mike Ross, Sabin, Kai and Shiro. They destroy people with those characters. Console characters are the same. Yeb demolishes people because he’s damn good with his character. Sure, he’ll lose matches and that’s partially due to the matchups. Eventually, we’ll see Cammy, Fei, Sakura, Seth and Gouken pop up in this light as well. (Rose and Dan probably won’t happen.)

Woah, I had no idea Gen can kick so much ass. The vida people linked to were great.

But yeah, imo tourneys can’t ignore consoles foreverm There are many new console only characters that people master, the only difference is that most of the arcade players have more experience than the console players, however it does “balance” due to the fact that people have already said - Most of the Arcade players don’t have knowledge of consoles matchup

arcade forever

I honestly think that it’s the fault of the player if they’re not ready for a match up. If the player knows he’s going into console tourney, then he should prepare accordingly.

It’s refreshing to see a console character being used so effectively though.

The “I/he only lost/won because of lack of matchup experience” excuse is so lame IMO. Give credit where it’s due and step up your reps in the lab. Running into some never before seen shit in a tourney is part of what makes this shit what it is.

regardless, Yeb has become famous for good reason. He effectively shifted the meta-game of the console SF4 with his performance. More people are going to revisit the console characters after that showing.

FYI: The only real gimmick yeb abused was wall-dive on wake-up (that crosses up.) And even then, that is actually a pretty good mix-up.

i know this guy yeb is good and everything but did you really need to make a thread to ride on his nuts

It’s called player appreciation.

No such thing. In SRK there are only Nut Huggers and Haterz.

I see you. Hi Hater.

Gen would be a straight up match-up for most players if not for the retardedness that is ambiguous cross-up oga into ultra. If you’ve never seen it and don’t understand the move, you’re going to be losing 1/3 to 1/2 your life from the juggle into ultra and that’s the reason why Yeb did so well.

Of course he played solid overall, but John ate 3 ultras for freeeeee. It’s the same thing with people not understanding how to get around Vega’s super or blocking blanka’s ultra 8 months back. If you wanna be the best though, you have to plan for all possible scenarios and at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is winning. So good job to yeb for that.

Will do

:wgrin:

Thats sort of true, but why does this never work the other way around? Why can’t Gen also be underdeveloped and being played to only a fraction of his potential, while other people are goofing the match against him due to unfamiliarity? I mean, some people used to say C. Viper was a gimmick that would fade once people figured out how to block stuff right.

How long did it take Hondas to start integrating jab into hands consistently into their game, and that was without being an obscure unlockable console character? Or some of the crazy Akuma shit I keep seeing everywhere.

The truth is no one knows how Gen’s going to shake out, thats what makes it cool. Yeb wasn’t even doing anything particularly technical other than the hundred hands combos, Gen still has some weird stuff buried in there.

When the console characters are released for the arcade version thats when we’ll how far SF4 will go. I can just imagine some of the great matches we are in store for.

This is really going to happen ? Source ?

I thought CAPCOM don’t patch their arcade games after release.

People seem to forget that Yeb was also displaying very good footsies and spacing.

I like talking out of my ass too.

They do.
The US version of World Warrior had about 5 revisions before CE came out lol.

I played Yeb online a few weeks back, if I remember correctly. I lost. His Gen is great fun, I always appreciate playing Gen because so few people do who are actually proficient it’s hard to get in some good practice.

:rofl: