AE Matchup Discussion: Vega, Yang, Yun, Zangief

Thanks Josh P - good job breaking down Yun for us, I like this intel! Have you tried upball vs in your face dkicks? hopefully the light version doesnt get stuffed but im sure ex will keep them off. can they punish upball on hit?

Yun is just fucking retarded once he gets in. It’s just a straight up guess every time you block a move.

So Abel with a divekick is what you are equating it to

Wow
I fergot to talk about upball.
This is how it works, ex upball obviously destroys everytime, but bc of avoiding the exgrab, rarely will u have charge, but if u have harge it works.

Regular upball is often More anticipatory, or u hAve to do it really really early, and then light kick upball works well, otherwise u r stuffed and life sucks.

Gettig out of corner - unfortunately, all forms of rainbow roll can be punished, even after u have crossed out ofthe corner and passed yun, he can punish, even ex rainbowroll. Ex raimbow range has been reduced, not as good at getting out, but it can be effective if tbe yun is ignorant.

When dive kicks r spamming your face, lp elec can be very useful, only thing i have found that is consistant, obviously ex elec now as well. Only problem is that it takes a bit to do the inputs, so u must be very very fast.

Regarding abel idea, obviously much worse, ithink bc yun can punish a lOt of blankas escape options better. But abel with a divekick is a decent comparison i gjess.

Other random stuff - yun has this three hit chain that ends with a big punch thing, it can be punished on blOck with stand jab into ball.

Unfortunately, some previous intell was wrong. Stand jab is decent, but as anti dive kick its generally fail. Also, stand jab can still be ex lunge punch, but half the time u will misstime jab and die. Correct counter to any lunge punch is electricity, beats it cold.

Good luck, its a winnable math, i dare say even easier than for other unliky blokes ( poor dhalsim). But its an uphill battle. Yun can punish any mistake u make, often for major dmg.

Also, while it hasnt happened yet, i am 95% confident upball can be punished on hit with ex lunge punch.

good sh!t josh, keep it comin if you sniff out any more anti-yun technology

I really wish unbckable worked against yun, but capcom hates the green monster.

I highly recommend, to make this match viable, that everyone learns a technique to instantly elec at a moments notice. One reason i amnspamming light punch is bc it allows me to constantly buffer the elec for anti air or whatever purpose.

Elec has so many uses in this match, and i dare say its his only real chance at victory, knowing when its safe, unsafe, will punish dive kick/lunge punch, etc. So the key is knowing how to pull it off immediately. I have a non turbo setup on my own arcade stick where ican do this, but not in the arcades, im at 60% on elec in the arcade.

Last thing, all elec can chip yun heavily, his hitbox is huge.

for instant elec I slide l-m-h-m-l really fast then I can just wait and hit lp when i feel I need the elec. I don’t really know of a better way to buffer it.

me likey… hope all the fatty hitbox combos ending in elec work on him too

I use the 4th button on the top row of my stick so i can quickly slide and do fp elec.

Ves showed the best lp elec way.

Most elec combos work great on yun.

Best one, most consistant for me anyway is low mk, stand jab, elec.
Neutral mp stuff works great too, but i dont think the full neutral mp elec combo works after a crossup mk.

I havent played around too much with focus bc yun is fast, but if the yun is dtupid amd does a dive kick too high, focus has a chamce of slapping him silly.

I have heard, though cant confirm, that a dive kick done too high can be responded with a throw, and if yun tries to jab he loses.
In shirt, the block stun of yun dive kick is less than rufus’s dice kick, but in return yun gets many more angles amd options for his dive kick.

haven’t been on the forum for awhile… because i’ve been pretty busy that last few months (gotten married for one)…

anyways…

I haven’t played too much Yun recently… but i can tell you when Yun gets his pressure on you… yes … it does feel like Abel with a dive kick…

however i have to contradict what Josh P says… electricity is great against dive kick… the most consistent answer to beat it… but… that’s only if you manage to get electricity off and he’s diving at you… otherwise… if you’re already in yun’s retarded pressure… it’s pretty much impossible to pull out… here’s why.

lets say you’ve gotten knock down… your electricity isn’t gonna come out fast enough to beat out his meaty anything…
EX-upball on hit i think he’s still able to punish you back i believe… and if he can’t… he definitely can when you’re cornered

if you block him…he can start his block string and some of it can be cancelled back into dive kick which you won’t have the time to do electricity again… and if he anticipate you trying to mash out eletricity it’s pretty easy for him to hit you with something huge instead.

imo… yun on offense is just ridiculous… and if anybody have a good clear solution on how to avoid dive kick + mixup afterwards… please do share…

oh yeah… treat palm like projectile… so if you do regular blanka ball like LP ball for spacing be prepared to get hit by palm… and honestly… i find that… if you have life lead… and he’s back at the end of the screen palming for super… instead of going after him and losing charge and falling for his retarded ‘tricks’… it’s probably a better idea… that you do the same with charging an ex/super with electricity just to piss him off… it’s much better doing that… and it’s in your advantage because if he gets used to palming like nuts… a EX blanka ball will knock him silly.

against the twins i feel like patience is the key… and watching out when they jump dive kick is important… you don’t wanna get into their dive kick pressure… so if you see that they have jumped… and begin to dive it’s not a bad idea to jump at them during their landing and start your offense/block string and back out when your offense is over.

-LAU

Welcome back… that was some good stuff, I like the ex charging advice and the idea of fighting his pressure game. Thanks for the helpful advice.

Lau - I dont think we disagree at all.

elec is the best anti-air for dive kick. And elec cant be done when yun is attacking meaty. Nothing here is really in disagreement.

My major point was simply that knowing when to use elec is blanka’s major trump card in this match, and to buffer elec as frequently as possible so that blanka is never really mashing out elec, but has it buffered to do it on reaction.

I also agree, and was asking earlier, about escapes to yun divekick pressure once blanka is caught up in the assness of it all.
All i can really add to this is if u see a window to stand jab (and yes, thats a tough window to find) it seems to be safe to do stand jab into back hop, giving some space to get away from vortex.
Ex rainbow also seems to work, but it loses to the palm fireball thingy, and im sure other things as well.

Thanks to you 2 guys I am already better at fighting Yun and I have yet to even fight him lol.

How’s the gief matchup to those who play AE?

Nice to know that at 11.00gmt tuesday we will have a yun/yang scrub ‘open-season’. I’ma gonna bag me some noobs ma! :slight_smile:

Zangief match feels about the same, maybe even a little better.

At high level play, blanka couldnt random ball against zangief, even in vanilla or super, so the ball nerf has no impact.

Other than the ball, its just a poking war, and whether or not blanka knows how to anti-air zangief. That part of the match is exactly the same.

Gief green hand nerf is helpful, i think. What hasnt been talked about for the green hand nerf is its loss in invincibility on startup. I kid you not, I was playing vega vs. gief, and I just did a standing strong, and it beat out the green hand cold. The green hand has some very very early invincibility, but its not as invincible for as long anymore, creating some wierd situations.

Basically, blanka can control the ground with pokes, and anti air with neutral jump fp, or crouch low strong, and blanka should be just fine.

Here’s what I think of Zangief in AE:

Imo… it’s gotten harder… I do think random ball is needed in this match up before… might not work well against high level… the fact you’re doing it makes him more passive about simply walking forward and trying to corner you eventually… before… you had one more tool simply because kara GH isn’t exactly the easiest move to pull off… i’ve only seen one zangief doing it on me consistently… but simply not using ball at all imo you kinda just killed one of your options.

I personally feel the match up in AE is harder than what it was before… i actually find that ex GH not knocking down a bigger threat compared to before… simply because before… if you get knocked down by ex GH… you have time to think about what you want to do next… when you’re knocked down and they are setting up their next action… and if you have ex bar… you can easily escape with ex rainbow… unless they are looking out for that move and you’re ONLY doing that… and basically anythign that beats ex rainbow generally lose to ex upball… unless he does U2… but that’s a whole different story… now… he does ex GH… hits you you’re in his face… you might even accidentally lose your charge… vs… before… if you lost your charge that’s fine… you got plenty of time to lie around and get it back.

less bounce back on ball makes safe ball only available with LP… which honestly… if i manage to knock zangief down… MOST of the time… i safe ball on his wake up it’s more or less free chip damage… until he does ex GH and you hit his back… and get punished back on hit…

like Josh P said… the main game is a poke war to a certain extent really depends on the zangief style you’re playing against… today at the arcade… i pretty much got SPD over 1/3 screen away simply because i was doing s.HP thinking about counter poking his poke…but ended up getting thrown thanks to the increase range by my s.HP and his increased range of SPD… my eyes nearly popped out when i saw him SPD from that distance… also not to mention… GH/ex GH is such a good counter poke… and i honestly feel ball is a decent counter for at least GH… as for ex GH… not really simply because there’s a chance you end up right next to him after you’ve hit him.

if Zangief likes to jump when you’re not charging… c.MP c.HP and slide are generally good options against his jump ins… in general… you want to make room for yourself and don’t wanna be cornered…

I also found that it seems to be easier to j.MK and beat his double lariat… dunno if i just got lucky or if that’s a change in AE… or that’s somethign i don’t know about before.

-LAU

I’ve been testing stuff against yun, and it seems like lvl 3 FA into anti air u2 wiffs on him, but if you use U1 instead it works. The same for yang, except u1 seems to not work on him at all.