Recommended Ultra to use:

General Strategy:

Useful OS’s:

Notes:

Player Notes about the match:

Videos:

Yun

Current Tier List Match Rating: 4.5/5.5

This is my personal opinion from playing the match and talking to the Yun I normally play with. If you disagree that is fine.

Can Punish Blocked Horizontal Ball with: Ex shoulder, mp lunge(can be lp safeballed), hp lunge, ex lunge, mp shoulder(mp/hp ball only), U2(mp/hp ball only)
Can Punish Horizontal Ball on hit with: EX Shoulder(1 hit at safeball range)
Can Punish Blocked Vertical Ball with: mp lunge, hp lunge, ex lunge, mp shoulder, ex shoulder, U2
Can Punish Vertical Ball on hit with with: EX Shoulder
Recommended Ultra to use: U1

U1 is a guaranteed chip out vs. Yun if done meaty, all of his reversal options get tagged.

General Strategy:

Useful OS’s:

Notes:
• Due to the st.jab punish on blocked lp shoulder and mp -> hp target combo being 1 frame, plinking the jab with back/select is actually a good idea.

Videos:
Skip to 17 minutes

[media=youtube]DP2XuwBpJMQ[/media]

Zangief

Current Tier List Match Rating: 6/4

Blanka’s good zoning, safe chip, and ability to anti-air do a great job of keeping Gief away from you.

Can Punish Horizontal Ball with: Kara EX Vanishing Flat(can be safeballed)

Recommended Ultra to use: U1, the high chip is good in the closing moments of a round. It also can punish a blocked Vanishing Flat(normal or EX)

General Strategy:

Don’t let Zangief close ever. Keep away with pokes. This is pretty much the philosophy behind the entire match. While Blanka excels at keeping Gief out, Gief can do major damage with he gets in with his great mixup game which forces you to guess.

Standing HP, MP, LP, and crouching MP, HP, MK, and HK all have a place here. If poking with a cancelable normal Os ball off it for bonus damage, works as a great counterpoke. Be ready to punish jumpins with the appropriate AA, from far range you want to use cr.mp or hp, and from closer nj.hp. If you try to use another anti air while close there is a good chance of a trade or of the jumpin beating you clean, be careful and try not to whiff too many pokes giving him free jumpins.

Try not to get backed into the corner by being proactive and asserting control over the screen. Force him backwards. If you do get backed into the corner you want to make sure you have saved meter for ex rainbow. While not a free escape, it can help you if you do it with the right spacing.

Limit your unsafe offense. If you attempt to crossup, or get fancy with hop gimmicks, you are going to get hit by a throw or lariat which allows him to start his offense. Be safe, use meaty low short when he doesn’t have meter stocked, and only jump in with j.mp from a far distance because it will beat his anti airs.

At far range Gief will attempt to build meter using Lariat, you can punish this with slide, cr.hp, or even ball. Make sure you tag most lariats to limit his meter building and get some free damage. Zangief with ex stocks is very dangerous.

If you get knocked down or get hit by ex greenhand you have to guess. Nothing else you can do. Ex rainbow and backdash are both easily option selected against, and can lead to another knockdown, so they are not free ways out. Attempting to jump out of an spd can lead to an anti air headbutt and possible stun or U2. Block and look for a gap in his pressure to do something that isn’t throwable(backdash, ex upball, jump) and try to get out. The knockdown situation is weighted in his favor, and you’re better off not getting knocked down than trying to figure out what the gief player likes to do on knockdown.

Useful OS’s: OS slide vs. backdash

Notes:

• If you get hit by a headbutt, retreat and reset your stun meter cause it will be high. You do not want to be stunned by Gief.

• Try to bait ex Vanishing Flat in footsies. Gief players like to do this to whiff punish moves. Throw out fast recovering attacks like st.lp or cr.lp to make them waste their meter.

Videos:

reserve

People here have been saying Blanka has a good game against the twins. I personally don’t see it apart from EX upball being a useful tool. Any advice?

Daigo once said in an interview that the twins have problems dealing with electricity. He didn’t go into much more detail than that though. I’m guessing electricity stops some of their divekick shenanigans.

yeah the hitbox on their dive kicks is terrible compared to Cammy/Rufus, and they can’t instant air them.

Blanka can also crouch yun’s upkicks, and I think his st.jab. If cr.short or elec always ducks reversal upkicks that would make yun pretty free on wakeup, I should check that, going to the arcade this weekend.

Zangief

Current Tier List Match Rating: 6/4

Can Punish Horizontal Ball With: Kara Ex Hand

Recommended Ultra to Use: Ultra 1

General Strategy

Don’t let Zangief close ever. Keep away with pokes. Standing hp or mp are good from max range as well as lp. Os ball off of lp if you want to get extra damage if you counter poke. Be ready to punish jumpins with the appropriate AA. Try not to get backed into the corner. Watch empty jumps into spd, super, or ultra. You can throw whiffed jumpovers but be wary of that empty into mega damage stuff. When Blanka is down Giefs want to either meaty sweep or jump in with knee(which beats electricity). Backdash or block. Ex upball can work, but if they have meter than ex hand can punish.

If you get hit by a headbutt, retreat and reset your stun meter cause it will be high.

Slide or timed rolls will beat lariat. Jump mp will also. If you go for a combo, keep it tight such as j MP > cr lk > elec. If they pick Ultra 2 then only ball or jump when you know its a guaranteed hit.

Be ready for a blocked fist, you can punish it with cr mk or cr lk into ball/elec/super/ultra.

Good start on the Gief match-up JOLThead.

I’d recommend nj.fierce for anti airing, it comes out quite fast so you can do it on reaction to jump-ins. It deals good damage as well, better than cr.strong and st.rh (IIRC)

If you block green hand, and don’t have super or ultra, using back throw to corner Gief is a good idea. You can pretty much lock him down there.

Also, beware that slide whiffs on quick lariat as the hit box is not the same as normal lariat. If you’re gonna jump in with mk or hk you gotta know your spacing quite well (aim to Gief’s head) otherwise you’ll eat lariat.

I have not tried jump mp to beat lariat so i’ll give it a try.

if you jump at gief you want to use mp pretty much 100% of the time. Max range mp will always beat lariat no matter when he does it. It’s one of the best jumpins in the game.

Edit: You have to mix anti airs against him. Any good gief player is not going to jump at you raw which gives you less time to nj.fierce, and maybe not enough time at all. They are generally going to jump over a whiffed normal. you have to know the ranges for cr.mp, st.hp, st.hk, and cr.hp.

Also if you want to do a write up, using the formatting I’ve used in the other threads would be nice. I need to update a bunch of stuff. It’s just hard. I hate Blanka now, he is ass, haha.

Definitely, you have to mix aa. I also like to use slide a lot in this match up against jump ins

only problem with sliding his jumpins is that if he empty jumps he gets a free spd. you have to slide sparingly

nj.F works fine and if you’re getting jumps over your whiffed normals stop throwing things out. Just hold down back and use s.HP c.HP c.MP once in a while. Problem is people get too agressive vs gief. DownBack is what they hate the most. You only need a sliver of a lead so become a huge turtle.

He has some really bad matchups and some really good ones. When you play the bad ones a lot i could see having the same feeling.

You need to hit buttons sometime. You can’t just let him walk forward till he pushes you to the corner. You have to hold your space somewhat. Also there are ranges where nj.fierce whiff, and cr.hp/cr.mp hit.

If you hit buttons sometimes the other player is going to walk in and out of range to force whiffs

Yeah I think the problem is a lot of the really good matchups come against characters that I wouldn’t consider viable.

/got crushed by hugo101 yesterday.

hugo has insane spacing and zoning. I don’t think it’s a character vs character situation. He’s one of the best dictators in the usa…

edit: yes vs gief you need to hit buttons but really it shouldn’t be a situation where you’re getting your normals jumped over. You’re hitting too many buttons if that’s a concern. This matchup is one of the most straight forward that blanka has.

Yeah Hugo is great, I’ve never done particularly well against him, I’m not that level of player.

I’m not saying it happens a lot, maybe once a round where i get a st.strong jumped over. I don’t play a lot of good Giefs though, so I play against jumpier ones more than I should.

U just gotta do nothing a lot vs gief. he is trying to get in so he has to make more moves then you. I’d say too many giefs are jumpy. Just gotta feel it out is all.

Yeah hugo is great. very good foots!

I been playing mad amounts of yun. Couple thoughts:

Standing jab is an awesome poke, will even beat out thr ex dash punch. Elec will also trade or beat ex dash punch.

Dealing with dive kicks: stand jab, strong, fierce, and roundhouse and all beat divekicks, however the timing and posiioning is so crazy and fast that i recommend evasion rather than brute force in dealing with dive kicks.
Best anti dive kicm move by far is lp elec.

I feel like blanka gets most of his damage on wakeup. Electricitycan, if timed right, trade with yun shoryuke ( that kick move). However, ifthe elec is stale or hasnt come out yet, upkicks beat out elec. Thetrick is to time perfectly the first active frame of the elec. In this trade, blanka takes very little damage, but yun gets wrecked. Also, watchout for wakeup ultra when using this tactic, bait that out if possible.

I beleive zoning with stand jab and stand strong so far seems to be solid, though deffinately more jab than anything else. All blanka pokes can, depending on range and angle, get killed by divekicks, stand jab gives best pressure, mobility, and safety.

Also, i belie e they have really changed ex elec now, on wakeup i can get 4-6 chip hits which i could never do in super. Fierce elec can also do mad chip as well.

Other than elec on wakeup, a smartly timed crossup forward will make the upkicks wiff. If they do the rh upkick, so far i only can punish with slide, will try hop jab x elec, but i am not the best at elec in the arcade vs my stick.

Oh, after forward grab, the crossup ultra seems completely safe for chip kill. He cant upkick bc the crossup fucks with the controlls.

Sadly, backthrow grab does not lead to unblockable, but if they uppercut it whiffs. If they do rh uppercut, they r too far for slide to hit. :(. Hope into an attack may still punish.

Overhead is beyond useless, too slow and yun too fast. I want overhead to be good, but so far i have failed in incorporating it into my game.

Full screen its sorta ok to do elec spam. If they dash punch they get hit, but ex shoulder thingy will punish you. Also, closer range dont whiff to many elecs, they can low fd dash punch.

I really really wish standing rh was thr uber anti dash kick i hoped it would be. Unfortunately its not and i have a theory why. The dash kick hitbix is huge. Even though yun seems far away, the dive kick hitbox gets too close to blanka, andthe 7 frame close rh comes out, and blanka death ensues. If the dive kick is sorta far, the rh works like one would think it should, but unfortunately more often than not thr slow rh comes out and yuck happens.

Oh, low strong cam be pretty decent against dive kicks, but really only if the yun is stupid with their dive kicks.

Well this is all i can think of. I feel, after a rough learning curve against pretty good yun’s, that blanka has a decent shot at the match. If used appropriately, elec really takes away a lot of yun options, but if elec used innappropriately yun can punish. Stand jab controlls space really well, and blankas mobility can really keep him out of trouble. Good luck in this hellish match, though i must say its becomig a fun challenge.

Other stuff
First sorry for typos, on ipod.

Yun is also one of those wierd characters where a dash can cross over the body. Ie, forward throw, lp ball, dash will hop over yun. Need slight delay to ensure u dont hop over.
This can be used to your advantage if u r rdy for it, but i find it mire of an annoyance.

So more on the wakeup game. Obviously u want to try for ambiguous electricity after command hop. Unlike other characters, i would not do low short into elec ( it has its place but nit on wakeup). Low short gets blown up by upkicks. If im wrong i apologize, but low short hasnt worked yet, whereas just a straight elec can trade. Also, the straight elec puts blanka closer to yun on wakeup, compared to low short x elec, so as a result it is easier to do another stand jab x elec pressure.

Using rainbow rolls, any of them, ex or otherwise, will not work against a prepared yun. They can upkick after it has past, theycan also low forward ito dash punch punish during ground recovery. Best way to get out of corner seems to be hop shinanigans.

All balls, jab med fierce ex r punishable by a reversal fierce dash punch. If they block jab ball and dont have reversal timig, yun can be punished with combo of your choice.

Ok, no more fer now. Hopefully someone else is playing against yun and they can help me out.
When yun is doing dive kick pressure right in blankas face, i really dont know what to do, othertham block. And if i block i get ex thrown, so its really impt to stay stay away of closeup divekick pressure.

Guys thanks for the advice of using mp for jump ins against Zangief, very effective.

That’s actually the match I play the most offline, and even though I was handling it well this has somehow eased my work (I still jump too much … constant work in progress).