AE Matchup Discussion: Guy, Hakan, Ibuki, Juri, Ken

Juri is probably the worst character to even try to do combos on, everything whiffs on her really. Kinda sucks.

so juri is like blanka in terms of whiffing things :wink:

but what about the wheel… how do you guys punish it after block?

It’s not always punishable. It depends on which version she used and when it hit you. Most of the time I just use jab into ball if she’s close. You’ll also notice that sometimes she’s very disadvantaged on block, but she’s out of reach of your normal punishes, so you need to take a step in first.

I am being annihilated by guy. What do. Elbow beat everything. Make blanka sad.

standing hk usually works well

so if she is a bit out of range… step forward a bit and then crHK or stLP > elect? throw should work too, right?

jolthead, thanks for the tip against guy. have to keep that in mind.

http://www.fgapr.com/WAMO/SSF4/onblock.html
Change blocker ‘Blanka’, attacker ‘Juri’.
Nothing has changed on her pinwheel disadvantage frames since ssf4.

Lk pinwheel (2 revolutions instead of 4+) looks the hardest to punish, -4… so 1 frame to get a st.lp in.

thanks darachnid for the link.

so best option without guessing which wheel it is would be a throw. ex wheel can be punished with everything… nice :slight_smile:

Alright I think I need some help in the Guy matchup. For some reason, I just can’t seem to beat this character.

Vs Guy this is all about spacing. Matchup first off is 5-5 if he doesn’t have meter then he basically gets beat up by you on wakeup for free. If you’re having issues vs his elbow then a few things are happening.

1. you’re letting him get right on top of you with it, in which case you aren’t holding a charge because upball beats it.

2. he’s elbowing around the screen and you can’t meet him air to air because of it. You can slide this thing on reaction from like 1/2 screen if yo’ure paying attention. Just hop forward and if he elbows you can slide.

His slide that people do a lot can be safe because it’s like -5 i think at max distance and it’s easy for him to backdash. You can either FA this or make him do it wrong and then he’s really minus and you can just ultra him or just c.LK xx ball or something.

I think most blankas have issues with this matchup because they are controlling the space poorly. He’s a little different then other members of the cast because of his elbow range and slide range. Also his run kick (overhead thing). Before Guy would run slide ex upball on hit now he can’t do that. Figure out the spacing and then the matchup because a lot easier. Elbow is super usless here, it dies to everything.

I have had ex up ball lose clean to elbow though, but that’s when I try to use it as a pre-emptive anti-air, not a late/deep one.

Thanks for the other tips though. I think my biggest problem is every Guy I fight against plays completely different/random. I’m sure if I fought a set against one I could figure it out.

wait for blocked slide -> ex tatsu then ultra him. My success rate vs. Guy has gone way up just looking to do this every round.

I try blocking a slide… then safeballing with cr.mk, cr.lp xx lp.ball. The retaliation run xx slide whiffs short, not sure about ex-run xx slide though. Then get a knockdown, or kara throw.

if ex upball is losing clean then you’re doing it when he’s all in the air and you’ve lost invincible frame. That should only happen if he’s like 3-4 body lenghts in front of you throwing it out, and in that situation slide beats it 100% of the time. The only time slide doesn’t beat elbow is when he’s right on top of you and a exupball at the last second always works.

Yeah I figured as much. Thanks for that I’ll keep that in mind…to be honest I don’t know why I didn’t think of slide…

I think Juri is for Blanka’s favor, not by a lot but Juri is not good against him, Blanka has better pokes, better footsies, she can’t jump or fireball on him and if she falls, her wake up is terrible, safes meaties here, 6-4.

Guy is 5-5, Blanka has better pokes here too, stand far fierce beat all Guy’s pokes, you can beat and AA him, stand fierce, roundhouse, slide, Ex/normals upball etc… and on wake up, safe jump.

However, i have a lot of troubles against Ken since ball’s nerf… and no idea about Hakan.

Ken is difficult, you have to try to play in a range where you can whiff punish stepkick. It’s pretty awkward actually.

Hakan I think Blanka wins. Dry Hakan is like an 8-2 matchup for Blanka, oiled is in hakan’s favor so if you can not let him reoil you should win.

Any last minute tips against ken? tournament sunday.

I think low fierce is the go to poke for this match…if zoned correctly it just kinda beats out a lot of ken stuff. No shinanigans allowed, just anti airs and low fierce zoning is pretty much all i got! help?

Be careful with your cr.fierce about focus crumple, i think all good pokes are good here like cr.mk, stand lp/mp/hp, cr.mp etc… not much to say, i can’t win against Ken since the ball’s nerf. =(

Watch out for kara focus. You may think you’re at a safe range to throw that out but kara focus can fuck up your game plan completely.