Videos:

Gouken

Current Tier List Match Rating: 6-4

Can Punish Horizontal Ball with:

Recommended Ultra to use:

General Strategy:

Useful OS’s:

Notes:
:diamonds: The backthrow unblockable works on Gouken, and j.mk, st.mp, st.lp xx hp elec works on either side
Player Notes about the match:

Videos:

Guile

Current Tier List Match Rating: 5/5

Can Punish Horizontal Ball with: EX Sonic Boom(can be safeballed)

Recommended Ultra to use: U1

General Strategy:

Your primary goal in this matchup is to score a knockdown, and keep Guile flustered with ambiguous crossups due to his poor wakeup defense against them due to his flash kicks going in the wrong direction. Alternatively you can try to push him to the corner and work your pressure from there, this is harder though because he’s going to be trying to push you to the opposite corner.

For the most part midscreen Guile is going to throw a (jab)sonic boom, then do something after it. If he’s trying to corner you he might walk forward or whiff one of his forward moving normals. Strange as it sounds this is what you want Guile to do, Blanka has a fast array of options to counter this strategy and most Guile players are very predictable. Firstly, walk forward -> df.hp under a sonic boom accomplishes multiple goals. It gets Guile off of his feet, does some damage, and most importantly gives him incentive to not throw sonic booms at mid screen. Secondly you can attempt to focus and walk forward and block booms. Focusing is somewhat risky close to Guile because CH st.hp/f.hp hurts, but from a bit farther it is an option. Walking in and blocking pushes Guile to the corner, and most importantly it makes him impatient, which can give you an opportunity for an easy knockdown.

Once you’ve worked your way in do not combo into ball unless you are canceling to super, are going to FADC it, or it will kill Guile. You lose too much offensive momentum to combo into ball. Combo into elec, st.hk, U1, or even hop before you combo into ball. If you combo into ball you have to work your way back in, and that is no good. B.throw is amazing vs. Guile not only because of your ability to unblockable him, but j.mk, st.mp, st.lp xx elec combos from both sides allowing a maximum damage option without having to confirm which side you are on.

Useful OS’s: b.throw, dash, high j.mk[os dash/hop the opposite way you jumped, it’ll be a f.dash/hop after you finish], b.throw - This OS allows you to catch Guile trying to escape from the unblockable with another b.throw for his trouble

b.throw, dash, low j.mk[os df.hp] - generic slide OS for the Guiles who like to backdash vs. your unblockable attempts. You do the j.mk lower to air reset flashkick and get more frame advantage.

Notes:
:diamonds: Guile can be unblockabled midscreen, so if you throw him, make sure to use b.throw. Free damage!
:diamonds: Fullscreen you can use coward’s crouch xx lp elec to make guile impatient and build some meter. Chill out here if you are ahead and have some meter, not a lot Guile can do to get in other than lp sonic boom and walk behind it.

Videos:

reserve

i’m so lazy to do writeups but fyi. if you jump into guile at those mid screen booms and you’re always getting air thrown just use j.MP it can beat it a lot. I think you can get thrown, but hte hitbox on j.MP as we all know is good but that’s a good example where it can shine.

I hate to break it to you, but as much as i admit jumping strong can be useful, frankly if your jumping over booms against guile u r asking for trouble.

I would watch that korean blanka that is getting some play in the vid forum. But to deal with booms, I recommend three options, and it all really depends on guile positioning so other than just blocking nothing else is like a guaranteed deal.

First thing u can try, and I have actually had a lot of succes with this, is the light kick rainbow roll. Its surprising how effective it is. MK one is not so effective, it can be air thrown pretty easily. The light kick could also theoretically be airthrown, but much more difficult. Obviiously dont do this if guile is following right behind the boom.

Coward crouch can also be effective against booms, but it really does depend on where guile is positioned. If you coward crouch and he tries to low rh, it is possible to how and punish. However, sometimes if u hop u will get hit by the boom, so positioning is key. If you coward crouch and guile jumps, just hold the charge for the up-ball and yer good.

Third thing is focusing. Focusing can be effective, but watch out for the guile fierces that will soon be slapping your way.

When in doubt, block. Never jump unless u want to die, or you have no faith in the guile’s abilities to be an intelligent guile.

yeah booms do no chip, I think taking the damage to get in is just part of the matchup. jump forward over any random booms that aren’t jab, and just walk forward and then crouch block vs. jab booms. once you have him in the corner or can slide a random boom, then you can start your offense. Walking in and out of slide range but gradually forward is really good, it’s pretty much 0 effort to push guile to the corner this way.

I think crouching them full screen with a life lead is good because it makes guile come to you. I don’t crouch much unless I’m ahead or the match has just started.

I’m not advocating taking an offensive approach in the air vs guile. I’m merely suggesting that using j.MP beats out guile’s mid range air counter which is either throw or just j.HK. If he adjusts then he can avoid it, but top guiles most of the time use air to air throw/j.HK to stop an incoming jumpin from midscreen advances. These can be beat suprisingly by j.MP.

I wouldn’t post it here unless it was very useful. I have used this vs really good guiles and it works. THey do adjust if you overuse it, but it’s comical to see it beat them.

If we are talking strategy vs guile then play it like chun li. Which is stay at slide range and outpoke him. Either he fights you which you have an advantage or he gets stuck in corner where he has no choice but to fight you. He is free on wakeup so if you get a knockdown mix him up. But if you get behind early you do need to be able to advance on him and knowing you can beat out his air to air counters with j.MP in situations is nice to know. Because you can’t with j.MK j.HP or j.HK so people don’t bother doing it. So guile’s think it’s foolproof and it’s not.

Fox I agree with you. J.mp is godlike in a lot of matchups actually.

it almost needs it’s own thread LOL>

someone make a j.mp, nj.hp thread. I WILL DROP MAD KNOWLEDGE IN IT.

nj.HP might be his best AA!!!

The reason I like nj.hp so much is because it comes out so fast! Its startup is actually the fastest of any nj normal (tied with lk). The best AA definitely depends on the situation as it has been mentioned before.

Far Standing HP is one AA that I don’t use enough, it’s the best in terms of damage (120) and its startup is the same as cr.mp. The tricky part of using it is that even though is listed as being active 6 frames, the hit box that is useful for AA is active much less time :frowning:

Guile

Current Tier List Match Rating: 5/5

Can Punish Horizontal Ball with:

Recommended Ultra to use: Ultra 1

General Strategy: Guile’s weakness is his inability to defend against wakeup pressure. Your goal should be to get a knockdown at any opportunity. Sliding sonic booms is a good method. If Guile has meter for EX you should just get ready to duck. Just out of sweep range, should give you enough time to react to get the slide in. You can even jump them and get a combo if your really fast. I use electricity combos for the knockdown so I can keep the wakeup pressure on. If he jumps after sonic boom, electricity or up ball should be an option if you ducked quick enough. The slow sonic boom is the tricky one, but EX up ball will help you out there. If you can jump over it then mp is the best option to beat a air throw.

His trickiest combo is his overhead, just be sure to block high after a cr mk and you should be ok.

If he does his dumb 2 hit sweep, just do cr lk > elec/roll in between the 2 hits. Standing far hk will work between the 2 hits also.

Be patient. Sonic booms aren’t that damaging, just walk him to the corner. If your jumping at Guile make sure he is recovering from something. He has good anti airs with his flash kick and crouching hp. If he reads a jump he can air throw you easily.

Mix up how you deal with sonic booms, jumping, ducking, fadc, and even rolling over or through them will keep him on his toes and it avoids him readying a flash kick or jabbing you out of a ex ball you thought was safe.

Useful OS’s:

Notes:
? Guile can be unblockabled midscreen, so if you throw him, make sure to use b.throw. Free damage!

**Player Notes about the **match:

Videos

wait, jump forward MP? where he just sticks his fist out? I messed with that move in the beginning but found jf fierce usually better air 2 air with better dmg, why is j.mp so godlike?

This is new technology for me!

If you have charge, Ultra 1 is the best punish. Good Guile’s use this move with caution though.

Hitbox

Blanka’s hurtbox is small and oddly shaped and it is actually uncommon for jumping attacks hitboxes to extend that far outside of the hurtbox.

That is just what I was looking for, thanks!

Gen player here. I can contribute info for the Blanka/Gen AE Matchup. This is not a complete list of information. I’ll add more and/or update every so often.

Gen

Current Tier List Match Rating: 6/4 in Blanka’s favor

Can Punish Horizontal Ball with: Mantis Super (Zanei), Mantis Ultra 1 (Zetsuei)

Recommended Ultra to use: Ultra 1 (Lightning Cannonball)

**General Strategy: **

Gen is a defensive/footsie/poke character. His general style of gameplay revolves around playing footsies with his opponents, keeping his distance with his long ranged normals, and doing crossups after scoring knockdowns.

Gen has low health/stun (900/900), a weak upclose defensive game, making him a very fragile character. His momentum can be easily broken once Blanka is upclose with him. The best strategy against Gen is to maintain upclose mixup/offensive pressure while using the Electric Thunder. The Electric Thunder will stuff almost all of Gen’s normal/special moves, as well as all Ultra Moves, putting him in a position where he’s forced to block. Without a full super meter (and Mantis Ultra 1), Gen is also unable to punish blocked Horizontal Blanka Balls.

Gen poses the biggest threat when he has a full super meter. Gen’s Mantis Super will punish every Blanka Ball whether it’s on block or on HIT, so it’s best to avoid using Blanka Balls until Gen doesn’t have full super meter.

**Useful OS’s: **

Notes:

• Gen is not very threatening until he has full super meter, and so any mixup/offensive pressure you apply on Gen (until he has full super meter) will put him at a high level of risk.
  • Electric Thunder has priority over almost all of Gen’s moves.

Videos: [media=youtube]uoEMl1YmXyc[/media]

Thank you sir, your Gen is most legit.

Your welcome, same goes for your Blanka.