Adon Strategy and Match-up Thread

hey peeps im having a little trouble and i didnt know where to post this. but adon last trial im having so much trouble with connecting the low kick after a jaguar crunch. much help plz. also any suggestions on how to successfully pull off the super after a medium punch i seem to just fumble with the joystick.

Alright, lemme see if I can contribute anything useful… this is going to be so random…:

nj hk has a much better hitbox than it looks like, great anti air. will also stuff hori blanka balls and sagats tiger knee (including ultra) provided you’re above them, so it does require a degree of timing.
c mp great for stuffing, but bad for point blank footsies.
Guile is a pain in the ass, his footsies are SO much better than yours. Ditto for chun.
Cody’s blockstrings are really difficult to counter and get out of, so stay on top of him!
c. hp will stuff honda headbutts (regular, and ex after invul).
c hk has great range, but shotos, ibuki, and chuin all beat out its range and speed, so use it spaingly in those matchups.
blankas elecrticty can’t be stuffed at point blank, but at footsie range, c mp does the job. outside of that, jk or c hk.
Guy is mixup hell, and difficult to keep out, and he can grab all your specials out of the air, a poor matchup for adon.
Good combo is c lp, c lk, s lp, s mk xx hk JK (jk is cancelled into, but won’t combo. good for mixup and puts you right back in their face).
Alternatively, for zoning with footsies, use c lp, c lk, s mp or s mk, s rh. First two hits will push them back, from there s mk or s mp will catch most pokes they throw out and the last s hk will kill any other focus or push their block out of punish range).
Use j lk for cross up into tick throw, and j mk into clk XX lk RJ for the actual cross up, great wake uo mix up.

This is is all from matchup experience, not really labbed, so verification on most things is iffy. And do we have a safe jump setup yet? I think j lp can be utilized, mp and hp stay active too long and their hitboxes stick out too far.

I suck bad at this game, but even worse agaisnt cammy :frowning:

Ok some common things I found out while playing Adon for the past 2 weeks.

-Jaguar Tooth is safe on Block, however, you and your opponent are even on frames Adon does not have any frame advantage. Also EX jaguar tooth is the same BUT if your playing against a character with a grab Ultra you cant jump out I dont know why though. I discovered this while playing Combo Jack’s Guy. We tested it a few round s and I couldn’t jump out and Guy’s Ultra 2 and you can jump out of that on reaction!

-Standing Fierce owns Cody’s jump ins for FREE!!!

-One of his most damaging combos is Jump HK (even though its kinda hard to land), Standing HP, HK Rising Jaguar if you have Ultra and meter FADC that combo to Ultra 2 for 500 something Damage.

-Dhalsim seems to be a 5/5 match up. I played UTJ’s Sim last nite and won although he was tired and I pointed out to him that if he used Ultra 1 instead it would have been a different story.

-I use his jump MK alot to set up cross up opportunities. That Jump in can be so ambiguous if done correctly.

-Gief owns Adon bad. A lot of his normals get beaten out by giefs normals. The only good thing I found was Standing Fierce won in most instances.

more to come soon gonna play Combo Jack also come to Dream Lab if your in the So Cal Area

I’ve noticed I reall have to get in and get out against pretty much every character. I’ve had a real hard time going toe to toe with people.

Only real matchup I’ve had a chance to get used to it vs. gief. Standing RH all day and you can usually punish his jumps with jaguar tooth… unless he has his ultra 2. As long as you can avoid the green hand you can stay out of his range with that standing RH but, you’re usually in for long slow match.

Apparently Boxer gets a free U2 on blocked JKs. Which versions I don’t know, since they weren’t specified and I won’t be able to test until tonight, but from the sounds of it JK is just a good way to give Boxer free damage in this matchup.

wait hold on…jag tooth adn all his specials are unsafe on block?
how unsafe? spd-able, srk-able or more?

Idk if dudley’s machine gun blow has to be spaced so he can be safe when doing it or not but i played a friends dudley and he would do machine gun blow and i would do reversal lk rj everytime on block so i’m assuming it’s unsafe

need some solid frame data, i’ve heard all sorts of good/bad/unsettling things about how safe adon’s specials are.

Here’s some of my insight from what i’ve experienced with my Adon so far.

Jaguar Tooth - against T hawk, i held up after block and he whiffed and 360 grab
Jaguar Kick - got 360 out of it, but honestly never tried to jump. also never follow up with a short or jab, you will get counterhitted
Rising Jaguar - light and medium jaguar to combo, roundhouse to anti-air, but do it right after the arc of there jump, or else it will trade or get beat out completely by solid normals (balrogs j.fp, dudleys j.fp, etc…)

Anti-airing with ultra - DO NOT tryy to anti-air against characters with low jump trajectory, it will get blocked.
UNLESS, you are buffering the ultra. or if you think your fast enough to react then by all means do it, but imo the risk/reward isnt worth it since he already has low health.

PS. has anyone tried anti-airing ultra Juri? for some reason I whiff at times, her jump is weird idk

also, when comboing after focus, dont just do RJ >Fadc > ultra…for some reason in the corner, you will whiff.

theres my 2 cents.

Keep the info coming. i will make 1 big update soon.

I know that if u perform the Ultra too quickly after the FADC u will whiff so try delaying the ultra a slight bit just like RYUs

I posted this in another thread to little fanfare, but you CAN land Jaguar Kick and be outside jab SPD range.

I was having inconsistencies with the Ultra whiffing in the corner after an FADC if I dashed forward out of the focus attack, but if I dash backward, I haven’t had a problem yet.

I’m not sure if this is known or not, but if your timing is good you can dash under Sagat’s high Tiger Shots. Apologies if this is already known.

i just did this so i want to post it before i forget, may be helpful in the future.

vs akuma i did FA xx dash forward under his s.hk. first hit absorbed, second hit dashed UNDER. Didn’t expect it so didn’t try to punish.

Block punishment for Adon (Besides the obvious). Note that I’m mostly using U2 for now except against semi-obvious stuff. If somebody could test more things with U1 that’d be a great help + make this go by much much quicker.

Ryu
c.HK: c.MP, c.HK, s.HK (All of these require you to be at least somewhat close to him), HP super.

Honda
HP Headbutt: Ultra 1
Buttslam (If it hits on the way up): MK/HK/EX RJ, Ultra 2 *MK seems to fully connect the most reliably. Also, hitting Honda out of EX Buttslam if blocked on the way up seems really spacing dependent, otherwise you just eat it regardless of which RJ you use. Ultra 2 was very reliable.

Ibuki
c.HK: Same as Ryu’s.
df.MK: cl.HP xx RJ (Up close only), c.MP xx RJ (Close to mid range), c.LK xx RJ (RJ whiffs after this if it’s about tip range. Also I believe the move is safe against Adon at tip).
*LK->MK TC is safe afaik with -4 and good pushback. I might test the others in the future.
Raida (All versions): LK/MK RJ, U2. U2 will whiff if it isn’t point blank. LK RJ seems guaranteed at any range, though it might not get both hits.
Neckbreaker (All versions): cl.HP/c.MP xx RJ (RJ might not connect completely but I’ve never seen it completely whiff after punishing this), U2. If you block around tip you’ll need to do U1 rather fast, or else it won’t connect.
Non-EX Kazegiri: Whatever you want.
EX-Kazegiri: Followup kunai stuffs all RJs and U1 (lol). Timing them late didn’t seem to help. However, I think you can backdash under all kunais and get guaranteed punishment. Even if she doesn’t follow up with a kunai, you get guaranteed damage after the dash if you’re quick (I couldn’t land U2 when dashing after empty EX Kazigiri). I don’t believe spacing factors into it beyond Adon ending up behind Ibuki if he’s close enough.
Tsumugi: You can interrupt the low followup with LK RJ or super. Considering she’s otherwise safe except for HK version without the third mid followup (Which is only LK RJ punishable I believe), this isn’t at all guaranteed.
Non-EX Hien: Same as Kazegiri, although the way Hien hits makes smacking followup kunais with RJ actually possible.

Makoto
c.HP: Same story as Ryu’s c.HK.
Non-EX Hayate: LK RJ. Watch out for FADC.

Dudley
c.MK: c.MP (Close range only).
c.HK: LP Super.
Non-LP Machine Gun: LK RJ.
Ducking straight/Upper:LK RJ. He can FADC to avoid RJ.
Thunderbolt: It’s -20 something, so do what you want.

On another note, you all might want to mess around with his s.HP against characters that don’t rely on shoto c.MK style normals for footsies (Aka Boxer). It doesn’t seem as amazing as Guile’s, but I’ve seen it stuff Headbutts and Blanka Balls pretty handily, and it does 120 damage (150 on CH!). Also, when you’re in that magic space where Dudley and Boxer’s c.LP stuff all your shit, try your own c.LP or s.LK. Neither can be auto-fired, but they both seem to have otherwise good priority, and trade or beat their c.LPs.

Adon vs Adon is one of the most boring matchups I have ever played LOL.

I have only played a few Adons so far but it usually ends up being who can out patience who. I have never sat like that before like I did in those matches. I won all those matches but I was at a loss on an effective strategy against another Adon. Being an Adon player I know what they were trying to do so the best thing I did to counter that was just simply sit. I did spam lk.jt a lot to build meter when I was in the corner waiting for something to happen.

-DJ-

Adon seems pretty good, my friend whos not too good at sf was able to beat a good viper, cammy, and chun just by spamming specials…
it seems either they are unfamiliar with the match or things like tooth, jk, are all safe especailly vs viper.

Can anyone explain why Jaguar Revolver doesnt fully connect against projectile chars? I played a Ryu where only the first hit connected, then the 2nd hit he was able to block, then the animation stopped. Another time only 3 hits connected, then the animation stopped. And one other time only the first hit connected, then the animation stopped. What’s the proper spacing and timing for it? I tested it out from mid to almost full screen, and I could never get it to fully connect.