A-Iori

is Iori worth using in this groove?

if so does he have any good CC’s besides repeated strongs

Yes…A is his best groove. A custom for nearly any situation.

Anti-Air CC: Activate, DP+Jab, crouching roundhouse xN, Maiden Masher.

There’s a few more variations of that combo, but that’s the most basic.

Guard Break CC: Activate, DPxN.

During a combo you can try his Scum Gale or F+Forward for reset options.

(Stuff I learned from playing with my magical puerto rican friend nestor)

Iori has one CC and one CC only:

CC, [dp+LP, s.HK, roll], [dp+LP, d.HP, roll] x 3, (in corner now), s.LP, walk back, d.HP, d.HP (cancel in one frame) xx fireball super.

You do powerful attacks up to 8 hits, then finish with freeze super when in corner. Wait three seconds, uppercut.

Some tips:
Go to neutral when you want s.HK’s. Keep the stick held at df when you want the d.HP.

variations on the same CC:

When you’re not in the corner by hit 8, end with hcb+HK xx rush super.

If you get to the corner early, instead of doing the [dp+LP, d.HP, roll] pattern, just do [dp+LP, s.HK] instead. Again stop at hit 8 to do the the freeze ender.

If you’re far away (ie. after a Blanka ball), you can start off with d.HK first then go into the regular CC.

CCing after a scum gale:
This is really hard I’m finding. After the grab Iori is suppose to be at +12. LP uppercut takes 4 frames before it hits and CC activation should theortically take 0. That leaves 8 frames of leeway right? Still, the timing feels extremely tight (I can only combo it like 1/10 times). After the grab, I do CC, s.HP, f+mp, then dp+LP etc… instead. Anybody have any advice on this?

Blocked CC:

dp+LP’s all the way.

note on freeze super:

The command list says you have to do QCB, HCF+P but I’ve found that’s not entirely true. You can actually do QCB, DB, DF+P instead. In other words, make you’re hittin QCB completely accurately (the most important part) then just roll stick to and stop at DF instead.

A-Iori all the way. All other groove Iori’s enjoy buttsex a little too much.

There’s something weird that happened when I first landed a full custom into flame super at the end against the cpu:

I walked up to the bitch while she was engulfed in flames to wait for two hits of the super’s poison to go off until I landed a fp uppercut, but suddenly the two hits of the poison racked up really fast and the guy fell before I even had the chance to do the uppercut. It’s as if the character mashed out of it or something, something that I didn’t expect cuz I figured with all the practicing in training mode and gunter vids I’d assume the guy would have to suck up the two hits in the same amount of time regardless of whatever. I’m also guessing that this was the reason that Ken ended his Iori customs with rush super rather than the flame.

Any thoughts? Is the flame super capable of being mashed out of?

Try this, this CC. is done close to the corner for good damage, activate go s.hpx3, qcb.hp,s.rh,qcb.hp,c.rh,s.rh,s.hp,qcb.hp,s.hp,s.rh, catch him with a hcb.rh and hcf+qcb.p… after the c.rh and s.rh try to time the rest of the hits, like try to hit them when their coming down for good damage.

NEARLY every situation? Try he DOES. A is his best groove, though some may argue that N is. A-Iori with meter is a serious threat to anyone. There’s only one character I can think of who tops Iori for CC versatility.

I do the classic activate dp + jab, cr.RH x 8, hcb + RH, qcf-hcb + punch for anti air. If they won’t jump just wait for any ground special with moderate or slower recovery and do the same CC but starting with hcb + RH instead of dp + jab. Then from there proceed with the rest. Also there’s the fancy corner CCs which I do when possible, and GC and humiliation. The lame one is simply the twd.strong CC, though I find that to be harder than the cr.RH CCs. I know I’m forgetting one…

I have yet to run into a fight that I simply cannot win with A-Iori, even RC Blankas have been toppled. A-Iori’s best/most fun matchup is vs. K-Guile IMO.

New CC ender?

I was practicing my A-groove yesterday and this is what I came up with.

First do your strong attacks up to 8 hits whatever they are blah… blah… Then when in the corner, instead of doing [walk back, s.LP, d.HP, d.HP xx flame super] <---- (the BAS and Ken ender) you can do [jump back, j.LP, j.MK, QCB+HP (one hit), d.HP xx flame super].

I think it looks a lot cooler plus the distancing seems to be perfect for the pillar super to hit too. I’m pretty sure Gunter also does something like this, so if I accidently just totally bit his shit, I apologize.

Anyways, time to go to the arcade guys. Impress some random people :D.

Oh, I also want to add that every other custom I’ve seen in this thread so far ----> low tier :(.

Anybody have some powerful ones that can get over 8000? It has to be something with like… all LP uppercuts. The most I can get off a full CC meter is 7900 (DP+LP, s.HK in corner to 8 hits, then do the jump back ender I just posted above).

To get maximum damage off any Iori DP custom, start it with Jab DP, s.close RH, if you’re close enough to do another, by all means, do it, this maximizes damage the most. Also, instead of straining yourself for the one frame pillar super ender, you can do this one (Gandido custom, k thx)

Activate, [Jab DP, s.close RH, roll]x2, Jab DP, c.Fierce, roll, Jab, DP, c.Fierce, whiff c.Short, then superjump and mash on j.Jab, land, repeat if you can, land, do Maiden Masher. That one does like 8000 (if you get that setup at least, other 7800 at the minimum)

Interesting Geekboy, makes up for having to finish customs with his flame pillar. Already found out that indeed a person can mash out from being locked by the flame super and by doing so it decreases damage as well.

Here’s the custom that I use (if anyone cares)-

[Jab DP XX s. SK-> Jab DP XX Roll] x2-> [Jab DP XX s. RH XX Roll] x2-> Jab DP XX Maiden Masher

Nice damage.

Mashing on sj. JP sounds good though. I might try that shit.

Ending with the pillar super is good too, since it does more damge, does a little stun, and builds a little meter, but maximizing the damage is harder, since it can be mashed. Also, you have to do different stuff to get the pillar to hit, depending on where you started the custom from. I prefer my customs to be a little more braindead personally.

Iori sucks. I can’t believe I spent all that time learning how to combo into the flame super only to learn that mashing jab a few times then doing the other super does more. What’s this about being able to mash out of the freeze too? That’s stupid… I quit.

I don’t know why you guys are tripping over a few pixels of damage. That’s not what makes Iori worth using in A-Groove anyway. It’s not the END RESULT of the custom, it’s his ability to LAND the custom. He can land his customs easier than most characters (anti-air, ground, off grab, GC), so THAT’s why he’s good in A (still better in N tho).

W00t. I’m still getting props every now and then :smiley: . But still, I made a few adjustments so positioning works every time:

[(Jab DP, s.close RH, roll, Jab DP, c.fierce, roll)] x 2, (yes, even roll in the last rep) (sj. mash jab x 2) land into maiden masher super. Sometimes positioning gets hard after a second s.close RH in the custom so c.fierce fixes that early enough so you don’t mess up. Still does 8000 though, and that’s without the counterhit. The extra roll in the end makes it so you don’t have to whiff a c.short, and it has the perfect timing to get the maximum number of jabs out. That extra roll also makes this custom work fullscreen, as you can just sj toward the opponent on the last rep and still get max number of jabs.

And for the record, it’s true. N-Iori > A-Iori, but the margin is still pretty tight. Running does add TOO much to his game, but custom versatility is REALLY good. For tastes there are colors. Pick yours.

-Gandido-

Edit: Spelling issues…

Edit #2: His most practical custom is on Gunter’s Iori video. It’s the one where he whiffs a sweep. The good thing about this is that it gives you enough time + blockstun to react to a blocked CC so you can chip the guy to death, without having to roll at the instant and get killed afterwards.

Paco, your adjusted CC is the exact same as the BAS/Ken CC that I wrote at the beginning of this thread. The only difference is the j.jabs part. :bluu:

other stuff:

I tried CCing with [dp+LP, whiff s.LK, dp+LP xx roll] too. I might not be doing it right, but the second dp isn’t hitting deep. You lose like 300 damage, which is stupid. I won’t be doing that.

I don’t know what Iori’s ground CC is, but if it starts off with a dp+LP, then I’m pretty sure that’s kind of stupid too then. The uppercut hits way too slow. I found it very easy to counter CC/DP on reaction everytime.

CCing off the command grab is just hard. I don’t know why the timing is so tight. And like I said earlier, I can only get it like one out of ten tries. Even with the +12 or whatever Iori gets off the grab, I’m still finding this very difficult.

Right now the only guranteed CC setup I have is as anti-air unfortunately.

It hits deep. I don’t know what you’re doing wrong. Just wait for your opponent to come down a little more.

His CC off a command grab, the ground one, is like Command Grab, s.fierce x2, f+strong xN, hcb+rh xx Maiden Masher.

A better CC off the command grab:

grab, CC, s.HP, d.HK, [DP+LP, s.HK xx roll]… continue with regular pattern, finish with whatever super cool finisher you want when in corner.

I just figured this out like 10 minutes ago. I don’t know why I didn’t realize he could do this earlier (I’m a little slow). The F+MP custom is the Puerto Rican version (ie. it sucks). I’m all set with playing like CvS2 beast WK and friends.

Damn… Where’s the love? I’m gonna go cry Kang. You hurt my boricua feelings. :frowning:

You want a challenge? Try comboing his jab dp off a s.jab (NON-COUNTERHIT). I pulled this off a clutch situation last time I played, and it works pretty well. You probably won’t get it since you can’t even CC off a command grab very well.

Wine Cup finisher actually works better. The damage difference is offset MUCH by the end result: STUN DAMAGE. You finish with a fierce DP, which does IIRC like 18-20 (not entirely sure), and try to get anything in ending with the same thing so you can get a quick dizzy.

Couple of more A-Iori plusses:
-Combo the CC off an early anti air jab dp. You can tell if it’s gonna work, activate and c.rh. Easy as pie.
-Same thing, but off a trade it also works.
-Unblockable CC (usually works well because people fear the GC custom a lot more). If you can’t figure out the logic behind this one, then go back to the drawing board. Works as an “anti-air” custom against good p-groove players.

I still say that N-Groove gives him WAAAYYY too many more plusses, counter roll being the biggest one. Since it’s so fast, you can punish practically anything without much effort, and since his bread and butter does so much damage, it’s just great. It let’s him fight RC Honda as such too (I think. Haven’t had this fight in a while.), plus he can counter Blanka balls (which take effort to punish without a run groove) with ease.

And btw, I made that adjusted custom hella time ago. It makes sense position-wise as well as damage-wise. But anyways, good luck at Evo Kang. I’ll see you there. And bring me Zebra Cakes! :smiley:

-Paco-

PS: C-Yun owns you :eek:

Isn’t the guy kinda far when one tries to land that s.hk to lp dp? I’ve tried it many times and it the lp dp misses cuz the guy’s too far away.