2D vs. 3D

Not necessarily more advanced, but it’s different game mechanic system demands a lot more technical knowledge and ability since you have to take into account a wider variety of factors. One is not deeper than the other.

agreed 1 is no more advanced then the other, it just 3D seems more in depth. I hop to be able to find the perfect balance between the two. Mortal Kombat tried but failed in my opinion. MK2 and MK 9 the best in the series.

I recently wrote an article of my own that expands upon the points made by S-kill in this article and the other one he wrote. I explain why 2D fighters are still superior, why 3D games are on their way out, and what has to be done about it.

It also serves as a good primer to how airdash games work, but that is not the primary reason I wrote it.

A 2d game with side stepping would be easy to integrate. I wish kof13 had side stepping and a 3d camera since fighting games have an automated lock system anyways -_-

That would work against the genre though as the point of the article is that projectiles are an integral part of what makes 2D games “better” than 3D.

Not to mention moves with invincibility, or special state invincibility, essentially act as side stepping, as stated in Seth’s arguments. No real difference between a side step and an S-Groove dodge, as both function to avoid attacks within a short time frame.

And if you want side stepping to be a permanent movement option, then congratulations, you’ve just made a 3d fighting game with 2d hit/hurtboxes, which is a terrible idea.