2D vs. 3D

That’s Fucking Retarded. Go Play Soul Caliber Or Something.

Hmm in VF, although it is possible to run, alot of characters have ways of getting in safely or creating a dangerous mixup from far out. These moves do have longer executions but for good reason. These types of moves are best for Oki setups. But regardless its safer to stay close up against alot of characters. (And yes some characters can get ran away from all day, such as in SF).

I don’t have ALOT of Tekken experience but the guy with the best feet usually tears everyone up lol.

O rly?

No wonder that SF4 is such a shitty game, with advisors like you I think we will be playing the same game with minor improvements for the next couple of decades. Just bring back the same guys that made 3rd Strike that should be your only advice to the suits at Capcom, now those guys had imagination and weren’t afraid to experiment.

The only thing I can say to you and the other people who suck at 3rd Strike is to look deeper in the game. The footsies, zoning and everything else is there its just that now its more offensive and robust with another level added on top with parries. In 3S the possibilities to brutaly destroy your opponent are endless you just need to use your imagination unlike the boring defensive (most of the time) and safe SF4. But don’t listen to me what do I and the hardcore 3rd Strike players know about fireballs and how they make oLd Skelw SF better.

don’t be stupid, if you implement fireballs in 3D games you have to make them big, otherwise the player can just sidestep to avoid it easily.

Every character has a yoga tower in 3D games thanks to sidestep

That is retarded. please go play soul calibur and see how distance game is implemented in a 3D fighter.

Obviously people like you don’t have anything to defend your viewpoint with except calling something different retarded. Shows how stupid you are.

Again, what is the point of a thin, 1 square wide fireball in a 3D game if every player can just sidestep to avoid it? Sidestepping in a 3D game versus fireballs has the same effect as Yoga Tower in Street Fighter.

Great thread! Trolling…

Title “Fireballs” for this article would be more apt. It mostly mentions 3D games when pointing out how they lack fireballs.

Remy’s Light of Virtue (Sonic Boom) is as useful as any SF2 fireball. Akuma’s air fireball is very useful in 3S. As for Ryu’s (EX) Hadouken, it isn’t as useful for zoning as it was in SF2, but it can be used: as poke, as anti air, for pressure game (especially because 3S has no auto blocking), for chip damage victory, etc.

Not every character has fireballs in other SF games, so according to s-kill those matchups are seriously flawed. Not really, even trading pokes requires thinking. Saying things like that is insult to fighting game genre, and it’s very scrubish.

Here’s one creative full screen bait I saw (Akuma’s LP>Tatsumaki was supposed to be cl.LP>Tatsumaki, and combo would work better, great setup nonetheless). Fireball is not the only move that can provoke your opponent into jumping. Whiffing moves for meter charge is not always smart, depending on matchup. Makoto’s SA2 and EX Hayate are threat to move whiffing even from full screen range. Q gets free taunts if you decide to whiff moves from big range, etc. Anyone who whiffs moves for meter charge is basically turtling, and if you come closer you can punish them easily if they continue. It only works when both players decide to whiff moves at same time.
s-kill talks like SF3 is SF2 with parrying. There are so many interesting situations in 3S which he is ignoring and only pointing out how parry breaks fireballs. Parry only limits repetition and stupidity. SF2 is fireball game with fighting, SF3 is fighting game with fireballs.

There are too many stupid comments about 3S in this thread (and SRK forums) to reply to, so I’m just gonna say this to people who claim that 3S sucks: Who cares about your whining if YOU suck at 3S? You know zero about the game, so stop embarrassing yourselves. Play the game for 1 year, then come back and see if you have something smart to say.

All in all, if you agree that reading your opponent is most important part of fighting games, then play 3S. Warning though, Seth Killian, David Sirlin, Jeff Schaefer, James Chen, and many other good SF players failed to comprehend it.

As for actual 2D vs 3D subject, there are too many things to be said, and it would be interesting article if done right.

Hmm, s-kill posted a topic like this, but at the near bottom of the forums? Peculiar.

As for the subject I just personally prefer 3D fighters even though I started out with SFII and MK like most people Tekken is what got me into fighters the most. For the fireball subject I think that could easily be solved by making them trackable so that you can’t just sidestep or they can keep in the sidestep to avoid it, but making it strict to dodge so it’s not as easily avoided this way you can use them for pressure near walls. Also having multiple fireball versions would help too. Fire a low hitting fireball at your opponent. When he jumps over the fireball to evade it you punish the jump with a juggle, (don’t like these) anti-air, or something hard hitting.

It’s been a while since I’ve played Soul Calibur, but I think I recall a couple of projectiles being better than in most 3D fighters. It was Cervantes pistol shot and the custom ninja job class’s flame. Cervantes pistol shot I think was fast and I think unblockable, the flame was slower and also unblockable. I rarely played the game with other humans, so I’m not too sure if those were sidesteppable, but the speed of the pistol shot is going in the right direction considering it makes the opponent react quickly, unlike Devil Jin’s eye beam which you see coming from a mile away and just duck or sidestep.

I’m not sure if we’ll start to see zoner type characters in 3D fighters. That would be a big step just from making fireballs more useful to creating a character that relies on them. If it does happen they would need to be careful on not making that character overpowered. In 3D fighters movement is slower compared to 2D fighters. I could see it being insanely frustrating trying to get in on a zoner who’s constantly throwing fast moving fireballs and your dash and walks speeds aren’t nearly that fast. In 2D fighters you have the option of getting around it by teleporting, jumping, or using some kind of evade move like Abel’s roll if you’re not using a projectile character. 3D fighters rarely have teleporters and jumping is slow too and you can’t nearly go as high. You don’t have command moves like that, but you do have crouch dashes in Tekken which moves at a decent amount so if the fireballs are dodge-able that way then I guess it wouldn’t too bad.

Too many replies not realizing the context of the article (or just the fact that it this was written YEARS ago).

Reading this also makes me really want to try a version of 3s where you can’t party projectiles…Totally agree with the earlier post stating this… Would it be a better gAme? Who knows. It’d be worth a try for sure, though.

This guy is my favorite. A+ troll.

2D game that plays like 3D game.

[media=youtube]zZ0E8CVOT8Q[/media]

I prefer the rigidness of 2d. Some characters lost their flavor in translation to 3d. I would take Alpha2,3/CvS1,2,Pro/KoF-any over all the 3d today. SF4 is good, but it boasts nothing gameplay-wise over it’s predecessors. Maximum Impact also didn’t deliver anything over that that came before. 3d just provides titty and crotch shots never seen before. I do think 3d makes the ladies look delicious/better. The 2d sprite backgrounds were more interesting and had cameos which don’t exist anymore.

I hate Sony’s campaign that tried to kill 2d in the late 90’s.

2d ain’t what it used to be and that’s a shame.

^Missing the point.

Both 2D and 3D fighters have their charms.

I will definitely be studying over this thread.

Don’t

I don’t see why not. Whether or not you agree with Seth’s POV (or tone), he does raise alot of valid points.

well the thing is I love fighting games and favor both types I just think 3D is more advanced but 2D is quick and easy to learn.