2014 Firebrand Team Building Guide and discussion

I really like missiles for Firebrand’s incoming game. If they tech the guard break, they’re locked down by missiles and I still have Ammy’s assist for a reset afterwards.

Also, I feel that Raccoon should be acknowledged as another good partner for Firebrand.

1. Great username
  2. Which assist do you recommend for Rocket - Spit or Log? I can see both having enormous potential.

I used to use log trap, and that immensely improved Firebrand’s neutral game because it kept other people from tridashing at him. Log trap was also pretty easy to confirm off of, but you need to be able to do midscreen infinites to really get a lot out of it. Spitfire is awesome if you don’t already have a horizontal assist. You get some pretty nasty fuzzy guards off of it if the opponent is grounded, and demon missile M gives you some pretty silly mixups when you have spitfire twice. It provides for some awesome oki mixups too. Lastly, claymore assist might end up being the most useful of the three because of the potential unblockable setups with it, but I’m still figuring those out.

Hey Skillz, could you write up some stuff between the two for me? I’ll modify it to fit the format, I just don’t have enough knowledge of RR to write about their synergy.

Assists:All three of Raccoon’s assists work well with Firebrand much like Doom. Pendulum is the first assist I started with, and while it takes away firebrands’s wall bounce, it vastly improves Firebrand’s neutral game. It will knock most other assists away (if called at the correct time) while also grounding the opponent’s point character. It also forces the opponent to use extra caution in their approach, so Firebrand will not have to deal with wrecklessly dashing opponents. Also, it provides gimmicks galore, demon missile M+ Log Trap assist is a nice little setup to use on the opponent’s wake up to provide for some silly oki mixups. Spitfire Twice provides for great ground coverage (5 low durability points per spit) as well as some great fuzzy guard mixups. Really, it works a lot like Sentinel’s drones except there’s a shorter window to mix the opponent up, but does not disappear when the assist character is hit (if you can even hit him.) Lastly, Claymore assist provides for some crazy lock down which lets you setup some more high low mixups on the opponent. It makes Firebrand safe at the end of blockstrings. The Udaterasu knockdown setup works with this assist too because Claymore will cover the neutral wakeup opitons thus giving firebrand a 50/50 wakeup reset.

TAC: Raccoon has a meter steal setup which is useful against Phoenix teams, and apparently, but other than that, there’s no worthwhile reason to TAC into him.

DHC/THC: Dark Flame-> Rock n’ Roll is not that much more damage than just Dark Flame, but it still works. DHC out to Mad Hopper is a pretty good way to get Firebrand out safely.

Conclusion: Rocket Raccoon’s assists make Firebrand’s approach and neutral game overall more solid. However, in order to get the full strength of the pair, Firebrand has to have a TAC infinite character in the middle.

Teams: Firebrand/Ironman/Raccoon, Firebrand/Doom/Raccoon

Can you do QCF+HxxQCB+AA and DHC to Mad Mad Hopper? Is that a decent way to go for follow ups?

Also, because I’m pretty new to these boards I’ll introduce myself.

Spoiler

My GT is skillzdatkillz, and I’m a Firebrand player from AZ. I turned 16 fairly recently, so I still haven’t gotten my driver’s license, so I really haven’t been able to go to very many events. I have A LOT of different teams, but my first Firebrand team was Firebrand/Doom(missiles)/Raccoon(log) I managed to knock Infrit into losers bracket at a small AZ tournament last year after his victory at EVO, but proceeded to choke super hard afterwards (a common theme in my gameplay). Afterwards, I switched to Firebrand/Doom/Ammy, and do pretty well in AZ tournaments. However, I’m still mostly an online player. You can see some match footage of me on Beatdown archives (I actually met Konfucious there) or various online matches.

There’s too much scaling on otg fireball to really do any real damage.

haven’t seen anyone use firebrand/magneto yet. firebrand is pretty obvious. no matter what team you use with him, he’s best when paired with at least one teammate that provides something that pins the opponent in place for UB. coldstar, lightning legs, eye of agamotto, stalker flare, round harvest, drones, tenderizer, etc. his other teammates can be pretty varied.

Most of those don’t guarantee an UB. A lot of the reason for pairing Firebrand with a lockdown assist is for mixup purposes.

what about

fb/skrull/rr? spitfire or pendulum? (imo spitfire sounds better but pendulum is soooo good sometimes)

I feel stupid asking this but what is the trick to doing the raw tag into Doom from Bon Voyage?

Distance from the corner is the main factor. The other factor is what character you are doing it on, if you are already in the corner.

Pretty much midscreen and farther, you can always hard tag on any character. Most characters can always be hard tagged into in the corner. Midscreen-barely corner is iffy and character dependent.

XF can also change which characters you can do it on in the corner.

I have a question for all the firebrand doom players. What assist should I be using for firebrand to add to the end of doom corner combos. I’ve seen apologyman use the missile charge and zak use the swoop, but I’m wondering what the preferred method is? Also, what is the timing involved for the assist you feel is better?

I tried hitting h and calling missile charge at the same time but I don’t have enough time to jump up and connect the s footdive. Thanks for any help.

Edit to say I figured out the timing.

Spitfire would work better because you just get more of a threat for a command grab and it also gives you better L/R’s.

What do people think of Firebrand/Doom/Dante as opposed to Firebrand/Doom/Ammy? Is Cold Star really that much better for Firebrand than Jam Session?

so what was the timing with demon missile m?

I ask this because i’m trying to emulate Zak’s combo here

I personally don’t like swoop, but I’m wondering if its necessary to pull this off. were u able to call missile then otg with demon missile M and then do the footdive? I’m wondering if the swoop makes this timing easier.

Bro, on the real, can you add Nova Gravimetric Pulse assist to this list. It’s essentially one of the most perfect unblockable setups for Firebrand when done right. You can set up an unblockable off his ground bounce in the corner or corner TAC knockdown. Does extremely little scaling and you can guarantee it from any recovery direction/state (with the exception of neutral tech 0 frame invincible supers/special moves, e.g. hulk gamma crush).

Hey guys, just posting to say that I’m really sorry I havent been around. School+work has absorbed my life, but my semester just ended. I’m going to try and write up some new stuff for the main post, including some rewrites. I’m going to add a section for unblockable assists as well.

I’m going to email someone like Preppy to get the sticky threads in this forum re organized. A lot of our threads are out of date or have been remade but havent been replaced.