1-800-help-a-nub; The FAQ

Aren’t most non-fireball special moves armor-breaking upon reversal?

Yea, I thought Reversals have special frame properties like Counter Hits?

Maybe you could add this. I’ve asked before and not gotten a clear answer.

Why do focus attacks sometimes get stuffed by normal, non-armor-breaking attacks? I’ve seen it on youtube, but could not find an example at time of posting.

I think there’s two ways that a FA can be stuffed by non-armour breaking normals:
[LIST=1]
[]The normal(s) hit more than once
[
]The normal hits during the startup frames of the attacking part of a lvl1 or lvl2 FA (after you’ve let go of mk+mp but before its active frames). I think only lvl3 FAs have super armour.
[/LIST]

Can anyone confirm?

Do you remember if the person used two attacks in a row? Focus attacks have the same properties as moves with armor, or vice versa, whichever way you wanna look at it. They only absorb one hit, so, for example, if you tried to FA someone and they used two quick jabs, you’d get knocked out of it.

Edit: Wow, ninja’d.

@ Above, I recall seeing both in matches, though I’m not sure about lvl 3 FA having super armor.

This post by shiningsoul in the Rufus forum says:

I’m not sure if that applies to all characters’ FAs, but it seems right…
:tup:

The focus attack can only absorb one hit. What I am trying to describe is the first hit of a normal attack stuffing the focus attack.

That is a good explanation, RadarTrap. Maybe during those 12 frames of startup upon release (or however many, depending on character) you lose the super armor. I will change my play to reflect this.

if you hit the focus attack when the focus is in the attacking frames, it does not have armor…

Yeah, I know that Shoryuken has armor breaking properties on reversal; does that apply to all non-fireball specials? I’ll change that paragraph accordingly~

Yeah, it is a shame that not many people take advantage of the Chat~ There’s nothing I can really tell you at this point that would help other than hope that it picks up and gains popularity/exposure over the summer~

Yes it does. :angel:

EDIT:
Don’t forget to take this out:

It’s incorrect. See my post above.

You might be seeing a normal special cancelled with FA + Dash (44 or 66). When you cancel with FA you get that yellow ex glow.

great thread. you have collected and organized a great list. Thanks!

Added a Q about input shortcuts. For some, its a godsend (I personally had a hard time performing 2x QCF motions on a square gate) for others, it’s a hindrance. Anyways, if you didn’t know about them, it might make your life a lot easier, especially if you’re starting out!

Where can I find execution window frame data? In other words, how many frames do you have to execute :qcf: + :p: for the game to recognize it as a fireball?

edit:
Apparently DP’s have a fixed 15 frame window in HDR.

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/street-fighter-hd-remix-design-overview.html

Are SFIV’s input windows fixed or random/probabilistic?

Unless you can accurately measure time in tiny fractions of seconds that info isn’t actually going to help you. You’re best off going into training mode and trying, through trial and error, to find the feel of how slowly you can do it before the move doesn’t come out. SF4 is very lenient in this respect.

To answer your question though, I don’t think that info has been made public and it would be very difficult to accurately reverse engineer it through experimentation.

Well I’m thinking of writing a little program that accepts button inputs and based on frame data it will tell you what moves will execute. Maybe it can be used as a combo-trainer or something like that. I can’t make it too advanced if I don’t have realistic data though.

[edit]
Something like this with less flash and more detail.

i was arguing with someone about this. he said FADC-ability had nothing to do with special or super cancel properties. i won. haha

so it turns out, normals can be FADC’d if

a) they can be special cancelled, OR
b) they can be super cancelled.

so yeah, i know for sure that guile and boxer can SUPER cancel from their sweep, and that’s why they can FADC out of them. same goes for ryu and dan’s close HK. the only other example that comes to mind is ryu’s far standing MP. i don’t play enough other characters to site more examples, though haha. i know the original japanese frame data from a long time ago listed cancellability though. haven’t had a chance to see the new one yet.

i thought it was a retarded feature to be able to super cancel a sweep at first, but then i realized it’s probably an option to bait and punish an FA from the opponent.

Good stuff eoneo :D! Thanks a lot~

Modified the OP.

I have a question for focus armor.

As seen in this video at 1:57 : [media=youtube]wspkMpyNbJQ&feature=PlayList&p=8891EF223E1A7344&index=3[/media]

How do you block the c.mk and could still do focus attack to absorb the hadoken? I try this and I’m stuck in block stun. Even when I release the joystick, my character will still block, I can’t get the focus attack to come out.

Cool.