1-800-help-a-nub; The FAQ

Hi.

I’m part of the new generation of players that invaded your boards as SRK came out. We have one thread where we are free to ask whatever question and we get replies from more knowledgeable people but skimming through the thread will lead you to realize, like I have, that the same questions keep coming up over and over. And so, I thought it would be nice if us scrubs had a compendium of F.A.Qs and random facts that would grant us greater insight. (I originally kept everything in notepad but decided to make a thread out of it :P). Being new to the SF scene and all, I’ve found myself to be spending much more time reading about the game than actually playing it~ And I’m sure I’m not the only one in that regard. I thus went through all of the aforementioned thread’s pages and compiled most of the relevant questions and answers.

I plan on updating this thread regularly, and also, if there is anything that you might know and would like to share, do post and I’ll add it~

Oh and I know this is really messy, and I’m working on making this more readable and easier to skim through, so just bare with me for now~ Is there a way to change the size of your font btw?

Special thanks to the members of the SRK community who’ve been patient enough to answer all of our questions! :
skisonic, Keits, excitebike, Kunai, digitaleufel, Black Dog, kensk, hfz90, DannyCat, Zephyr Blayze, Grits’N’Gravy, wonderpug, DaDesiCanadian, Epic Username, LordofUltima, Xeno-V, Sirlin Snake Shirt, Phishfood, 4r5, BeGuiled, OJuggernautO, ICD-3, caliagent#3, Dandy J, Dime_x, Spiku, Arlieth Tralare, armagan, Forte, Jinrai, Airthrow, fins4ever88, 2Slow, Overworld, Dentron, minty, eoneo, Lusche, DaFeetLee, Mr.hitBOX, akiramike, hyphz, mysteriousm, ShinkuuR, Elements, Barnaby_Goog, Omerta, pennylane, PBalla, Poe22222, bytex, DevilJin 01, COUM, Doza, svenghali, eric25, TIFunkalicious, Kakelmut, mechajesus, Eckostyle, hadoken_mofo, Tressley, RadarTrap, darkfroggy, Dizz, Humpski, Yars, Ephemeral, ClxJames, tribaL, King9999, sweetypiejonson, Kagna, JubarPL, conebone, ColdCutsDeep, Telepathic, bbing51, Pieguy, Aquasilk, J-Money, konkrete, deadfrog, gbursine, epy0nkaru, VirtuaFighterFour

Sorry if I forgot anybody~

Thanks for the sticky!

:r: F.A.Q.:
What is a block string and an attack string ?

A block string is a series of tightly spaced attacks that are meant to keep your opponent in block-stun. These have various purposes in various games, but generally they are used for three reasons:

1.) If your opponent blocks your attack, you get super meter! If he blocks a series of attacks, with seemingly no room to move or counter, you get more meter! Yay!

2.) If you do the same block string a lot, your opponent may become conditioned to the idea that when you land the first hit in your block-string, you will automatically go for the rest. Take this opportunity to try a mixup or a throw! Yay!

3.) Another use of a blockstring is to apply pressure on the opponent until the pushback from all the blocked moves places you into a safer position. Ending with a move that puts your at neutral/plus frame advantage is a plus.

What exactly is FADC?
Focus Attack Dash Cancel (sometimes also referred to as Saving Attack Dash Cancel or SADC).

It involves threading a dash between the press and release of the Focus Attack combination.

So basically, MP+MK(hold) -> << or >> -> MP+MK(release) will cancel the Focus Attack into a dash in the direction you’ve dashed (forward or back).

It can be a very useful recovery and setup move. If you attempt to punish with a mp.srk for instance, and it gets blocked because you mess up, you may FADC it so as not to get punished yourself.

In addition you can also use the FADC cancel to set up into an ultra. So Ken, for instance, can do: hp.srk xx FADC xx ultra, to land the full ultra if you FADC on the second hit of the hp.srk.

You can FADC forwards or backwards. FADC backwards (double tap away on the stick) to avoid punishment or FADC foward to move in on someone.

I don’t know if there is a different label between these FADC moments, but allow me to explain the different opportunities that you will have to use FADC:

A;) Hold + to start up a Focus Attack, then dash foward or backward to cancel the animation (no Super bar used)

This allows you to regain mobility so that you’re not forced to follow through with the Focus Attack after pressing the buttons to initiate it. However, at times you can be punished when you finish your dash, so use with caution.

B:) Hold + to start up a Focus Attack, then either release both buttons or let it charge all the way for a Level 3 Focus Attack. After the hit connects, dash forward or backward to cancel the rest of the FA animation. It doesn’t matter if the FA is blocked or hit. (does not use any Super bar)

If your FA hits, doing FADC allows you to regain mobility and move in closer to attack the opponent. Afterwards, you can follow up with an attack. This is especially useful if your FA hits causes the opponent to go down in a crumple stun.

If it’s blocked, sometimes you can dash forward to apply more pressure while they’re still in block stun. Or, you can dash backward to reset your offense. Block stun after a blocked FA differs from character and I believe it also differs depending on the level of FA that was blocked (Level 1 and Level 2 only, Level 3 is unblockable).

C:) Hit with a normal or special move, hold + to cancel hit animation to Focus Attack, dash forward or backward to escape or resume mobility (takes up 1/2 a super bar)

As mentioned before, this can bail you out of a normal attack or special move that usually would leave you wide open after the opponent blocks. Sometimes, players will utilize this to get a throw attempt in by forcing an opponent to block a normal or special move, FADC, then throw while they’re still blocking. It helps to do a move that has a lot of block stun, or to have a character with a fast dash to recover from FA quickly and throw the opponent while they aren’t expecting it.

NOTE: Not all normal attacks and special moves can be canceled with FADC. Also keep in mind that you cannot FADC if you are too far off the ground. Example: You cannot FADC a Fierce Shoryuken if you hit the opponent in the air and you are well off the ground.

Another reason method C is good, because it can prolong combos and link attacks you couldn’t normally link.

An example of very effective usage of FADC is Ryu’s jump-in HK, WK, WK, jab Shoryuken, FADC into Ultra Combo.

Method C is probably the most common usage of FADC and is vital to learn to succeed with any character in SFIV. Practice this hard.

Hope this helps.

There’s been lots of discussion on ways to FADC:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=179898
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=180383

The consensus generally seems to be that this is the best way to do it:
:r::d::df:+:hp:, :r:, :mp:+:mk::r:, :qcf::qcf:+:3p:

So basically you can buffer one :r: before you focus, and you don’t need to hold :mp: + :mk: you can just tap them.

Practicing with Ryu is a good idea because you have quite a bit of time to get it all out. If you practice a lot then it’ll get engraved in your muscle memory and it won’t feel so daunting. :woot:

Special note: special moves done as reversal will gain armor break.

Is it possible to FA from a non-special move cancelable normal (eg ken cr. rh/hk)?

Cancelling a move with a focus attack is only possible under two conditions:

1. The move can be Special cancelled;
    -OR-
  2. The move can be Super cancelled.

So for example, Guile and Balrog being able to Super cancel their sweeps enables them to FADC after these moves, the same way ryu and dan’s can cancel their close HK. You should test your character’s moves out and determine which can be cancelled in such ways~

Is it possible to FA reversal using FA (eg react to charged FA with my own FA)? Or is it considered to be armor breaking.
Officially, Lvl 3 FA is armor breaking. There have been credible reports of witnessing a lvl1 FA counter a Lvl 3. The theory is that perhaps a Lvl 3 FA is only armor breaking during its initial frames, because it is know that the move loses at least its armored properties around midway into the attack.

So techinically, the answer is no. But there is still more to find out on this one.

How do I cancel an EX move into a (backward or forward) dash?

Let’s say its an Ex Shoryuken

First the Shoryuken:

:r::d::df: + :2p:

As soon as it hits, you then press:

:mp:+:mk:, then :l::l: or :r::r:

How to apply more grabs/FA/etc into my play?
Watch more vids.

Of course, it all comes down to experience. In all competitive games in general you must be able to read your opponent to a certain extent as to determine your next move. You will have to look for holes in your opponent’s game, note patterns and punish accordingly, so on and so forth. Watching vids will not literally tell you how to beat your neighbor; what you should pay attention to is how they apply FADCing in their game, how systematically they apply pressure upon their opponents or how they escape from tight situations. Look for combos you never thought and think about instances in which you could apply said combos in your game. Most importantly, do not be afraid to try new things out! Getting good at SF is a steep learning process but it also allows for a lot of variety.

**I just found out that the release of a button counts as an input for specials and supers! **

nice find. that’s actually called “negative edge” and is talked about in the 3s video tutorial available at combovideos.com or on youtube.

although it mainly talks about 3s mechanics, there are also many things in that vid that can apply to other fighters as well.

On some of the move lists, the move requires a “+” such as D+K ,so does it mean press down and kick at the same time or down first ,then kick?
’+’ means you push the two commands at the same time.
example: d+hk - push down and hard kick at the same time

‘,’ means successive commands
example: d, d/f, f - roll the stick from down to forward (hadouken motion)

‘~’ means successive commands quickly, for like a kara throw or sagat’s fake kick. this is much more commonly used in tekken notation
example: F+mk~lk+lp
(note: most like 99% of people dont use the last on this forum, but spreading the knowledge doesn’t hurt, Tekkenzaibatsu.com has a whole legend for tekken notation if you feel so inclined)

Reversal?
A reversal is when a special move, super, or ultra is done on the very FIRST frame the player is coming out of block stun, hit stun, or waking up from a knockdown. Aside from letting the player know that they perfectly timed their move, if they were aiming for a reversal, most non-fireball special moves also gain armor breaking properties.

Sticks?

Tech section

Where can I find the health and/or damage resistance of characters?

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/oct/05/stamina-stun-dash-and-jump-rankings-street-fighter-4/

What is hit confirming? Ive searched, and I cant find a solid answer, just a bunch of people talking over my head.
hit confirming - seeing something hit, then following it up. prolly not the true technical term

for example: i do c mp with balrog. i see it hits, so i know i can combo into a headbutt

not hit confirming would be like doing the c mp then the headbutt regardless if it hits or not. this isn’t safe and can be punished.

simply put, using a move that has a relatively large window for canceling/linking into another move. you can throw it out, see it if hits before you do the next (mostly likely risky) move.

e.g. ken’s c.mp in 3s. as long as you buffer the 2xQCF during the c.mp, you can decide to hit kick depending on whether or not your opponent blocked or got hit by the c.mp. in other words, you have enough time during their hit stun to decide whether or not to super, and still have it connect.

e.g.2, chun’s c.mk in 3s. not a link, but a very late cancel. you can throw out c.mk, buffer 2xQCF, and if you see it hit, cancel into her super. if it whiffs or they block it, you won’t super.

it’s a technique that can make a character very powerful because you can see if it’s safe to continue what would otherwise be a punishable combo on block. of course you have to have some amount of good reflexes to pull it off – hit stun or cancelable frames don’t last forever.

although usually used for a single move, the idea of hit confirm may also apply to a chain of hits:

e.g. ken’s c.lkx3 in 3s. c.lk is a relatively fast move, and there is no way anyone could hit confirm off of just one single c.lk. that’s why you do three – you see whether or not the first one hits, and while your brain is processing that info, you buffer two more hits before you finally cancel into the super. otherwise, if it wasn’t for hit confirming, the scaling done by those c.lk would be avoided.

**MOVE PRIORITY.

Is there a golden rule for move priority while two characters are in the air? like does a light kick beat a hard kick, does a hard punch beat a light kick? is there a rule like this? i cant seem to find the info anywhere?**

There is no such thing as priority. It’s just a vague notion derived from other properties of the moves. Such as: Startup frames, Active frames, Recovery frames, Invincible frames, hit-boxes, and/or hitable-boxes.

A jumping light kick may beat a hard kick because the light kick has less startup and hits the hard kick before the hard kick can hit you back. But that doesn’t mean a hard kick can’t beat a light kick if you get the hard kick out early enough.

You might say a Dragon Punch has a lot of “priority” because it seems to beat out everything. But a Dragon Punch doesn’t beat out everything because it has some sort of high priority value. Dragon Punches tend to beat out other moves because it has Invincibility frames. Moves are actually whiffing through the Dragon Punch, and then the Dragon Punch hits you. But it’s still possible to beat a Dragon Punch with good timing and careful positioning of the hit-boxes. (Though it’s still probably better to just block it if you know it’s coming.)

Beneath the pretty graphics, the game is just a bunch of rectangles moving around each other.

When someone jumps over you like Vega and you’ve completed one QCF for your super/ultra do you have to do the second QCF towards his new position?

It depends on when youre crosssed up, you can do qcfx2 in one direction then delay the button press and it will flip sides automatically. The engine is leniant like that.

How do you play against grapplers? New to the game, but I don’t know what to do against throws. I was knocked down one time and upon wake-up I tried jabbing but got thrown anyways.

It’s not stupid at all. Here are some basics, and they apply to most SF games.

Command throws are throws that require a special motion to do, like half circle forward+P, or 360+P (like Zangief). If command throws are done at the same time as regular throws (forward+jab+short in SFIV), the command throw will ALWAYS win.

Similarly, super throws beat out command throws if they are done at the same time (there might be some exceptions to this in SFIV, but I am speaking generally).

If the grappler is in your face while you are waking up, and just does a command throw with proper timing, it is impossible to jab them out of it. Because their command throw is a 0 or 1 frame move, but the startup framecount for jabs would be something like 3-5 frames, so before your jab comes out you are getting thrown.

So you need to either try jumping out of it, or doing a reversal special like a dragon punch with perfect timing.

Hope that helps.

People keep talking obout mixups? or ‘my mixup game’ can someone just clarify exactly what that means?

‘mixup’ generally means an up-close guessing game that’s in your favor. although it’s not the only mixup situation, the most frequent time mixups are performed is when the opponent is getting up off the ground. a mixup is usually some combination of attack/throw/block (in the hopes of baiting a reversal). “attack” can be further subdivided into high/low mixups. your opponent is then forced to guess the appropriate response:

• reversal is a high-risk/high reward answer to attack/throw but loses to blocking
  • blocking is a low risk/low reward answer to attacks, but loses to throws
  • throw tech is a low risk/low reward answer to throws, but loses to attacks, and probably loses to doing nothing if your opponent is smart enough to stay outside your throw range when you’re getting up.
  • poking is a high risk/low reward answer to blocking, but loses to attacks and throws

people often use a rock/paper/scissors analogy to describe mixups, but as you can see it’s really not that simple. you have multiple ways to deal with every threat your opponent possesses, and it’s up to you to judge the best one for the situation. typically this will be the lowest risk option unless you have a very solid read on the opponent or are forced to take a big risk for some other reason (e.g. you will die if you get chipped, you’re way behind on life and there’s little time left to make a comeback, etc.).

as an example, one bad habit a lot of new players have is going for an unsafe reversal every time they think their opponent will attack or throw as they’re getting up. while a reversal is high reward if successful (you get a knockdown and take control of the match), it’s also extremely high risk, as the opponent can cause you to miss a reversal with rather minimal risk to themselves (if they just block when you’re getting up, the biggest risk is that you will know they’re going to block and poke them - not really a big deal, plus poking when you’re getting up is also incredibly risky as it loses to everything else), and if you do miss, they typically get to do whatever combo they want. thus, while the reward for a successful reversal is considerable, it’s still usually not quite enough to justify the risk. typically you want to stick to the low risk/low reward options of blocking and teching throws - which is why mixups are so powerful. the player performing the mixup has a variety of low-risk/high reward options to deal damage to you, while you are forced to choose from either extremely risky or rather unrewarding actions to deal with them.

I noticed that some of the supers have slight differences based on the button pressed at the end of execution. Is there some kind of list or a thread with all those differences?

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=179213

**Apart from target combos, jabs/shorts are the only normals to cancel into each other, right?

For example, with a shoto if I’m trying to do c.sh, cr.jb xx SRK

If I do the first two inputs too quick, they’re canceling into each and thus stopping the SRK from being cancelled from the cr.jb?**

Correct. The game wont let you cancel chains. You’ll have to slow those inputs down and link them instead of chaining them.

What exactly is a reset? When both players end up standing up a solid distance apart such as at the beginning of the match, and thus the situation has been “reset”?

A reset is a marvel term, meaning you are comboing someone, but the combo is so long the damage scaling means you are getting 10% of each hit’s damage, so you space the combo out just long enough to re-combo the person for full damage.

Also: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=183634

What is the point of target combos?

Target combos are just normal moves that can be cancelled into each other. For example, the only person who can do s.mp xx s.hp is Ken because it’s his target combo.

Is there a difference between a completely full revenge gauge and one that has just triggered?
A full gauge provides more damage

how do i do a fast wakeup after being knocked down

Press or hold down before you hit the ground. You can also quick recover by pressing any punch and any kick at the same time; this is useful if you’re playing a charge character. Also keep in mind that you can freely mash the quick recovery commands to make sure they work, and the timing is relatively loose anyway.

Tick throwing?
tick throwing is usually when you ‘tick’ them with a very quick move before you throw them, so that you put their mind in “block mode.” for example:

c.jab, throw
or c.jab, c.jab, throw.
or s.jab, throw.
etc.

Is there some sort of trick to throwing? Do they have priority? I never seem to come out on top when we are both intending on throwing each other (I play Claw.) Same applies in Claw vs Claw where we both go for the Izuna drop.

Tick throwing is mainly a timing issue. It all boils down to the throwers throw attempt being performed on earliest frame available for the throwee to be thrown. That means the throwee must be fully out of blockstun/hit stun for the thrower to even ATTEMPT to throw him. From that point, there’s the time for the actual start up of the throw. In ST, I think throws are 0 or 1 frame. Tick throws are very powerful in that case, because there is no time to be hit out of a proper tick throw by any normal attack, a reversal must be used.
In other games, throws range between 3-5 frames commonly, so with a bit of mistiming on the part of a tick throw combined with a 2-3 frame light attack, hitting a tick thrower out of his attempt with a normal attack is much more feasible.

One bit of advice I can give you is that when going for a throw, its generally an idea to get a couple button presses. I don’t mean to say, mash fierce punch, but that’s sort of what you want to do. Remember, its possible for you and your opponent to throw at nearly the same time, but your button input to fall on a frame where a tech wasn’t possible (in the startup animation of the throw). So your input would be totally discounted and you’d be thrown even though you went for a throw so you’d expect a tech.

The situation varies from game to game, but, a tick thrower can often be thrown first, sometimes attacked. My simplest advice though would be to just mash fierce punch (or jab+short). I try to hit at at least 3 times even though its scrubby. This can get you killed vs a player who is setting you up, but you can learn to deal with that once you learn to deal with throws, hope that helps.

Also note that you cannot be thrown you while you’re in blockstun, but they can throw you on the very first frame after you have recovered. Since a jab usually has 3 frames of startup a well timed meaty throw will beat it and your only option will be to tech it.

What are “block strings” or “footsies”?

Block strings are basically a string of moves that, when blocked, are relatively safe from counter attack, either between the moves or after.

an example of a relatively safe block string for ryu in sf4 is something like c.lk, c.lp, c.lp, c.mp xx fireball

this set of moves prevents your opponent from attacking you or grabbing you between each move, or after the string is done.

block strings are used in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to:

1. building meter
  2. keeping the pressure on
  3. conditioning your opponent to expect certain moves in the future
  4. maybe hoping they might try to do something in the middle and get hit…?

a good block string should have as little gaps as you can manage between each hit. a good litmus test is whether or not your opponent can mash SRK through it, or gief can SPD through it.

HOWEVER, sf4 is unique in that block stun is VERY short compared to other street fighter games. so there are actually a lot less TRUE block strings (i.e. absolutely no gaps) in sf4. that’s why mashing SRK while blocking can be pretty effective…

footsies is kind of an obtuse term, but when put in a nutshell means controlling space through the use of (mainly, but not always only) normal moves, and ultimately trying to score a knockdown or at least get yourself in a favorable position.

watching a chun mirror match in 3s will show you to a gross extreme what it looks like…

see the article “Controlling Space” in the dojo to read an essay about it. (http://forums.shoryuken.com/forumdisplay.php?f=176)

What is a Kara throw and how is it performed?
This is a video that was meant to introduce the concept in 3s, and again, carries over to SF4: [media=youtube]Ox-YSWw5GsE[/media]
This video explains Kara throwing as well as long with displaying which characters can pull it off: [media=youtube]diqWHCko3w4&feature=related[/media]

Kara throws:
Ken: :r:+:mk:, :lp:+:lk:
Akuma: :hk:, :lp:+:lk:
Cammy: :mk:, :lp:+:lk:
Fei Long: :hk:, :lp:+:lk:
Gouken: :hk:, :lp:+:lk:
Guile: :hk:, :lp:+:lk: OR :mp:, :lp:+:lk:
Vega: :hk:, :lp:+:lk:
Zangief: :hk:, :lp:+:lk:
Ryu: :hk:, :lp:+:lk:
Gen: Mantis :mp:, :lp:+:lk: OR :hk:, :lp:+:lk: OR :hp:, :lp:+:lk: Crane :mp:, :lp:+:lk:
Sakura: :r:+:mk:, :lp:+:lk: OR :hk:, :lp:+:lk:

What is a safe jump-in?
You can time a jump-in meaty enough so that it will force the opponent to block if they don’t reverse, but if they do reverse, you can land quickly enough to block their reversal. This works because there are very few moves that hit on the first frame.

Here’s a thread listing all the options each character has relating to safe jump-ins:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=180482

What are input shortcuts and how do you perform them?

An input shortcut is an input that you can perform that should give the same result as the original input while being easier to perform. For example, you can perform the
-Dragon Punch motion :d::r: :df:+:p: by inputting :df: :df:+:p: OR :df::d: :df:+:p: OR (if you want to make your life harder) :hcb::ub::u::uf: + (+:p:)

-When crouching, you can perform the Dragon Punch motion doing :df::db: :df:+(+:p:)

-Air Dragon Punch (for characters like Dhalsim, it allows you to buffer a teleport before jumping: :df::db: :uf:(+:p::p::p:)

-Half-Circle motion (i.e.Yoga Flame); Original: :hcb:+(+:p:) Shortcut: :df::d::db: :l:+(+:p:) OR :df::l:+(+:p:)

-360 motion (i.e. Spinning Pile Driver); Original: :r::df::d::db::l::ub::u::uf: :r:+(+:p:) Shortcut: :r::df::d::db::l: :ub:(+:p:) OR :l::r::d: :u:+(+:p:)

-Double Quarter-Circle (most non-charge character supers/ultras): Original: :qcf::qcf: Shortcut: :d::df::qcf:

-Guile & Vega’s Supers/Ultras; Original: :db:[2] :df::db: :uf:(+:k:/+:k::k::k:)

Shortcut: :db:[2] :df::db: :ub:(+:k:/+:k::k::k:) OR :db:[2] :uf::db: :uf:(+:k:/+:k::k::k:)

-Akuma’s Super/Ultra; Original: :lp:, :lp:, :r:(:l:), :lk:, :hp: Shortcut: :lp:, :lp:, :r:(:l:)+:lk:+:hp:

-> These might not be useful for everybody but it certainly does make it easier to chain certain things together. For example, in one of Ken’s trials, you are asked to link a Shoryuken into a Shoryureppa (super). Knowing that the Shoryuken can now be performed by inputting :df::df:+:p: and knowing that the super requires of you to input :d::df::d::df::r:+:p:, you’ll notice that the two Down-Forwards are already found in the super motion; chaining both moves hence becomes much simpler as you can simply :d::df::d::df:+:p::r:+:p:

What is an option select and how does it work?

If someone attacks you and you block, you can continue to crouch-block (i.e. holding down-back) but press throw while you’re still blocking.

If they try to throw you during their attack, you’re likely to tech the attempt.

If you recover before their next attack, you’ll stick out a lk.

If you don’t recover before their next attack, you’ll just continue to block.

The game will automatically select for you the outcome based on those same inputs, hence option select.
(thanks to m16ghost)

:r: Helpful Links:

-Tao Jones’ Blog
Tao Jones is currently working on a blog for beginners in order to avoid having them going through the same potholes he’s been through. Being a beginner himself, it is a P.O.V. most can relate to and is thus a recommended read~

-SRK’s Hotobu Guide/Lexicon
Hotobu wrote a massive guide/lexicon which breaks down every single term and system pertaining to SF as simply as possible. Gathers pretty much all the relevant information you’ll find on sonichurricane.com and other sites of the like in one convenient location!

-http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/jul/08/street-fighter-4-strategy-guide-hints-and-tips/
Offers a basic rundown of all the characters (strength and weaknesses of each, frame data, health points, some basic strategies, their stories, etc). Guides on how to unlock characters, colors, taunts, trophies & achievements are available. It has a Tier list though I would take it with a grain of salt at this point.

-http://mycheats.1up.com/view/superguide/3163881/street_fighter_4/xbox_360
Goes far more in detail with every character than the aforementioned site. It tells you which moves are particularly good for every character, which moves crossup, what can be used as an AA (antiair), what moves can be used as a block string, how to land your ultra reliably, some basic combos, how to control space… so on and so forth.

-http://www.streetfighter4.us/
SF4 Fansite made by Bunkei. He hosts a podcast, AlphaISM radio which interviews above par players regularly. He branched out from SRK to help out the new generation of players, going as far as offering private tutoring sessions with Justin Wong! For more info check its forums~

-http://the-morning-after-the-night-before.blogspot.com/2009/02/theory-fighter-volume-1.html
*[…]I welcome you to “Theory Fighter.” In each installment I will try to explain some of the concepts that seperate a noob from a pro using practical examples and setups for varying characters. For the most part, these are concepts that can be used in any Street Fighter game, and in some cases, any competitive game period.

Note that this series of articles will very much be geared towards newcomers, so if you’re a Street Fighter Veteran the information here may be of limited use. Also note though, that these articles will assume you’re at least familiar with the Street Fighter (IV specifically) core mechanics.*

-http://shoryuken.com/wiki/index.php/Super_Street_Fighter_2_Turbo
A SSF2T Wiki; most of what is found in here applies to SF4 as well.

-http://www.sirlin.net/
Sirlin designed SSF2HDR. He wrote a book title “Playing to Win” that is a recommended read to everybody who’s just entering the competitive scene for the first time, as having the right mentality will drastically improve your success. He also created a set of 4 tutorial videos for SSF2T, which, again, translate to SF4. Worth a check~

-Arlieth Tralare: *I wrote up a beginner’s guide for Hardcore Gamer Magazine a few months ago (November!) that covers the basics of the game, plus the Arcade characters.
It is a BIG download though. I’ll be updating the profiles and Appendix data for the new characters on the main website (Hardcoregamer.com). You should DEFINITELY get the Prima guide for much more detailed information such as full frame charts and strategies if you’re new to the Street Fighter series.
HGM Issue #34 (PDF)
Mirror #1

-mysteriousm: *After playing a lot with people who have “renewed” interest in SF, I’m really REALLY heartened by the fact that so many people are not just learning, but WILLING to learn the game. However, from sessions with them, I realized that some things which I took for granted as being obvious, aren’t so obvious after all.

To that end, I’ve decided to start a little primer for beginners trying to break into more advanced play. My first article is here: http://the-morning-after-the-night-before.blogspot.com/2009/02/theory-fighter-volume-1.html and focuses (pun not intended) on Startup, Active, and Recovery of normal/specials. I hope some of the beginners find it useful.

As always, any comments/constructive criticism is always appreciated.*

-www.allisfighter.com
Yet another SF4 fansite. What makes it different from the others is the fact that it has chat in which you can easily set up games, tournaments and whatnot. I briefly described its features in this post: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=6482979&postcount=1

-IGN’s SF4 Guide
Yet another SF4 Guide.
*In this Street Fighter IV strategy guide, you’ll find:

BASICS // Both simple and advanced strategy for general Street Fighter IV play.
CHARACTERS // Moves lists and strategies for the game’s 25 playable characters.
SECRETS // Learn how to unlock the game’s many hidden characters, including Akuma and Gouken*

-http://www.gootecks.com/
Notorious South California player. He hosts The Street Fighter Podcast and created the Street Fighter Bar Fights. He is really involved in the scene and also wrote a guide to help SF3 players to transition to SF4 though even if you haven’t played the former, the guide still is fairly useful for any newcomer. Worth checking out.

-www.sonichurricane.com
Has a great terminology encyclopedia. It also breaks down various aspects of the game and grants insight on some not-so-obvious things, such as combos, how they work, what to keep in mind when creating one, etc.

-http://www.shoryuken.com
Pretty cool site I would dare say!

-http://www.neoempire.com/
United Kingdom’s SRK

-http://www.ozhadou.net/
Australia’s SRK

-http://hardedge.org/
Germany’s SRK

:r: Videos:

-http://video.ign.com/dor/articles/863022/ignstrategize/videos/ignstrategize_SFIV_021109.html IGN’s SF4 starter tips
-http://video.ign.com/dor/articles/863022/ignstrategize/videos/ignstrategize_SFIV_021809.html IGN’s Advanced Moves That Will Help You Dominate in SFIV

-http://streetfighterdojo.com/sf4/
Compendium of high-level play matches. You get to choose which matchup you want to watch specifically i.e. Ryu vs Bison~

-www.youtube.com
An obvious one.
[media=youtube]pUcgofXSSkM[/media] (Tomo Ohira, OG SF Champ, provides general strategies for Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting. Most of it is very relevant to fighters in general so it is worth watching)
Channels:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Min0ra (plenty of high level play matches)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ArcadeInfinity (great matches & hilarious commentary)
http://www.youtube.com/user/lordaborigine (japanese vids)
http://www.youtube.com/user/darksydephil (whines constantly when playing and it is quite enjoyable tbh)
http://www.youtube.com/user/KingOfTekken6 (features a lot of Poongko videos, korean champion)
http://www.youtube.com/user/JiBbo (notorious Gen player)
http://www.youtube.com/user/BIzM81 (notorious Gen player)
http://www.youtube.com/user/FredMchale (SF4 Execution tutorials)

-www.nicovideo.jp
Most japanese players upload their videos on nicovideo. To watch them you will need to create an account for yourself, unless you were given a link, in which case you can use this redirector, which allows you to watch any nico video w/o the need for an account.
Channels:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/8829072

This is a great thread. Thank you for the information! :pray:

A++++++++++ thread. :pray::pray::pray: Lots of useful info

Nice to have it in one spot I suppose but a simple search in the SF4 nub thread can easily answer any question at this point

Nice. Perhaps we can get this thread stickied instead of the other FAQ since this info is more relevant now.
:pleased:

I can’t wait to see the length of the Nub faq for MvC2 on its release date this summer… lol

The threads oh the amount of threads. WTF WHY IS MAGNETO SO CHEAP!.! threads / sentinels. Then the MSP is cheap!

Well this thread isn’t just meant to compile whatever is said in the other thread. Like I’ve said, I just started playing SF4 like quite a few others and there is far more to SF4 than what this thread contains and whatever info is found I would like to have compiled in here. It should branch off at some point as a standalone thread~

Searching this thread would be far more efficient than running a search in the other one but that won’t keep people from asking their questions in said thread, as that is what it was made for.

Maybe one day the new players and the old vets can learn to get along. This was a good idea.

I disagree with this. While watching videos may give you an idea of when and where to FA, throw, etc, nothing beats actual practice in real matches.

You need to get used to reading your opponent, finding his tendencies and then choosing the appropriate response. Simply watching videos will not help you do this

thanks for this

That’s a hell of a faq.

But how do you know what to practice during game play?

The reason why there are combo videos and FAQs is because discovering the most damaging combos, character specific combos, cross up combos, etc. is too difficult for a beginning or even average player.

If you didn’t know if X character whiffs a move at Y range you always punish with a slide for a knockdown then how could you apply it in a real match?

Saying not to watch videos, especially of highest level play, is nonsense. Videos are essential to discovering strategies and combos you would have not discovered on your own.

Dang, this is hotness. So useful in that it’s a must read for nubs, but surprizingly interesting to glance over as a seasoned player. Big thumbs up. :tup:

Extremely thorough. Awesome thread. The only thing I’d perhaps add is a little section on kara throws. The term is thrown about a lot here and not everyone will know what they are.

thanks man, seriously there’s so many terms that i didn’t know, hit boxes, strings etc… i read all up and that was very nice read =D, it’s like watching National Geographic.

btw you CAN FADC non cancellable moves, for example the first hit of guile’s cr.HK can be FADC’d though i’m not aware what else you can do with it

3rd use of a blockstring is to apply pressure on the opponent until the pushback from all the blocked moves places you into a safer position. ending with a move that puts your at neutral/plus frame advantage is a plus

also, www.sonichurricane.com has a great compendium of fighter related terms (along w/ the srk wiki)

I never said you shouldnt watch videos, I said just watching them is not enough

why is magneto so pringles?

Why is he using the mango sentinal? Fuck the knicks!