Zeros UMVC3 Assist Guide

GONNA BE WORKING ON THIS FOR A BIT
so for now Ill copy and paste this

ALL CREDIT TO TSUMUJI FOR THE NUMBER SYSTEM.

**Quick Overview : **Zero is a Character who HEAVILY can control air and ground game, with assist this makes his Zoning/control game That much better.Because DHCs are theoretically irrelevant for Zero due to the LL, you want to look for assists that satisfy 3 criteria.

1. A combo ender with raw damage that will lead to a LL setup

2. A Combo Extender/Allows Combos after Air grab

3. A strong neutral game assist that allow for mixups and/or zoning.

Zero’s best partners usually cover 2 of these areas. For example, Vergil Rapid Slash covers 1 and 2, and Strider Vajra covers 1 and 3. Dante is widely known to be Zero’s best partner because Jam Session covers all 3 criteria (though 2 to a lesser degree).

Here’s my personal list of characters that really help Zero (As in, they fit 2 of those criteria or more)

Dante Jam Session - 1, 2, 3
Vergil Rapid Slash - 1, 2
Strider Vajra - 1, 3
Doom Missiles - 1, 2, 3
Doom Beam, Hawkeye/Task Arrows, Magneto Disrupter - 2, 3
Akuma Tatsu - 2, 3
Sentinel Drones - 1, 3
Amaterasu - 2, 3

Honorable mentions (Only satisfy 1 of the requirements but are super strong on point or have some redeeming quality to put them on the team)

Viper Burning Kick - 2
Hsien Ko Senpu Bu - 1, (3 with Gold Armor)
Wesker Samurai Edge - 2
Deadpool Katana-Rama - 2
Spencer Grapple - 2
Frank West Shopping Cart - 3, (Maybe 2? I haven’t tested it)
Phoenix TK Overdrive - 2
Dormammu Dark Hole - 1, 2, 3, but mediocre at all and hard to execute
Iron Man - 2, 3

I’m sure there are others that other people can mention but that’s my own personal experience.

Since you’ve also decided to use Strider, who covers 1 and 3, your third character really only needs to cover number 2. I would recommend picking a character that benefits from Vajra as well. From my list, I think the characters that benefit from Strider but also help Zero satisfy critera 2 would be Dante, Doom (Beam), and Wesker. Coincidentally, I have played all three of those characters with a Zero/Strider shell, and while Dante is the best fit, I know you don’t like him so you might want to try Doom or Wesker. If you’re brand new, I would recommend playing Wesker first since you already have Zero and Strider to learn, might as well make it easy on yourself and play 2 heavy execution characters rather than 3.

SO I need your guys input on this in like a spoiler tag for a character

[spoiIer = Dante ]Whatever Info about Dantes Assist, I dont use his this is just an example lol [/spoiler]

Vergil

Spoiler

RAPID SLASH Assist TYPE Y

1. After a Hard Knockdown In corner, Call Rapid slash followed by a delayed OTG dive ( DO NOT release buster ) Right when Rapid slash does the air Launcher do a Jump Buster XX :L: Raikosen, Land Sougenmu into LL, It leaves them higher then usual so it makes LL easier.

2. During a Ground magic Series do 6:h: and call Assist at same time followed by 214 :m:,:s: into :m:,:m:,:h:,:s: and you should be in Corner Buster Charged for OTG LL set up.

Combo Example
2:m:,:h:,**6:h:( Assist ), 214** :m:,:s:,****SJ,:m:,:m:,:h:,:s: ( Land ) 2369:h: XX Buster :l:**214 **:2p:

Strider Hiryu

Spoiler

VAJRA Assist Type Y

1. OTG Dive xx Buster, :l: Lightning, soon as you land call Vajra, slight delay, H Ryuenjin (as the last hit of Ryuenjin connects, Vajra will knock them down).
    Allowing you to then either Rekkoha or OTG again and go into the solo LL setup of H Dive xx Buster, L Lightning xx Sougenmu.

2. WIP

3. WIP

Rocket Raccoon

Spoiler

PENDULUM Assist Type Y

1. Log Trap extender is similar to the way you’d use Vergil’s Rapid Slash. After an OTG Sentsuizan xx Buster xx :l: Lightning series, immediately call RR as soon as Zero recovers from the Lightning. Hit :s:, Super Jump, and immediately hit :s: again to send them back down. At this point the Log Trap should hit and you can immediately his :s: again to send them to the ground, where you can OTG them for a LL or simply Rekkoha. 0:32 in the video below shows an example of this:

[media=youtube]r930k67XsOc[/media]

1. After an air-throw, immediately call RR and perform :qcf::h:. As soon as the Sentsuizan hits, the Log Trap will make contact and send them across the screen for a wall-bounce. You can follow up with :s: for the combo of your choice. Depending on how far away you are from the corner, you may want to use a :m: Heinkyaku to close the gap.

2. Log Trap is an amazing assist due to the space it covers, and any time it hits you can follow up with a combo that can lead to a TOD. Uses include Hienkyaku cross-ups, mixups on an incoming character, and just generally giving airborne opponents something else to worry about.

Doctor Strange

Spoiler

Eye of Agamotto Type B

1. Combo extender raw damage LL setup

Considering HSD after Zero’s basic BNB, the Eye was letting the opponent go before anything else could come in. I sat in the lab for a few weeks on this and found that after cr.M -> st.H -> f.H -> st.S -> air magic series -> relaunch with HDive -> Buster -> L Lightning -> cr.H -> st.S -> air magic series -> Right here, call Strange, the Eye comes in, jump back for another H Dive, as the Eye starts hitting, st.S -> M Dive. Allows some raw damage extending and you recover soon enough to do assist 2. Doom missles for me with H Dive -> Buster -> L Lightning etc. Extender allowed me an extra 100k ish damage and hard knock down either way for LL setup or easy Rekkoha. If you want to set him up for LL with hard knockdown after instead of st.S into M Dive, st.S into Buster L Lightning, LLs, and a hard knockdown is still stocked to finish the combo.

1. A Combo Extender/Allows Combos after Air grab

As with the raw damage, scooping enemies off the ground with M Dive while calling Strange has them held in place by the Eye to pick up for the air grabs. Extending midscreen is pretty rough, but I use it more to lock down for that reset. More about neutral game in tag 3, but on a side note, up or down TAC into Zero, air L Dash call Strange jump M Dive let’s you do the assisted extenders for Zero for that unnecessary extra damage w/o meter or LLs

1. A strong neutral game assist that allow for mixups and/or zoning.

Here is where the Eye shines hard. Giant ball of ambiguous High Low incoming. Almost free cross-ups too. During the multi-hits of st.H call in Strange assist and the ball sits right in their lap. Zero can M Dash if he’s push blocked and be positioned on either side for the mind games or if they don’t push block, the Eye basically starts hitting as the st.H block stun finishes so if they don’t switch block and you L Dash, they’re getting hit by the Eye within 2-3 frames. If they mash the Eye will punish them, Strange doesn’t get birthday’d because you’re on the other side, and you get to punish them for pushing buttons. If they’re successfully blocking the cross up, you can still come right in. That thing is almost bigger than Zero. You can low air dash for ambiguous cross-up/feint j.S or pizza cutter.

[media=youtube]XAdp1o1JMLo[/media]

[Spoiler=Super Skrull]

Orbital Grudge Type B

1: At the end of a combo this usually isnt a good setup because if your in the corner like you usually are at the end of a combo a divekick otg > buster > lightning does more damage - although I think it can be used to setup the LL for most short characters like Amy but unfortunately it appears that the assist cant be used at the end of a combo like rapidslash because its a few frames short to call out, launch and do S and S again if the character is being juggled but can be used that just after an initial launch

2: This assist extends combos midscreen and does more damage then that solo corner carry, after a divekick otg the assist will hit a few times allowing you to jump and do 0-2 Ms (depending if you want to save the available hitstun, or perhaps someone else has a more optimal combo) and buster into lightning, this method is also viable to continue combos off of an air throw

3: An Orbital Grudge can be used for mixups/zoning pretty much like a tatsu ( derp-qbc dash before the assist hits is very hard to block if the opponent isnt in block stun), but imo it has a better hitbox for zeros neutral game while in the air and I think it has armor as well (but I don’t usually call this assist for zoning because its to risky to just throw out there as I save my meter and xfactor for skrull) and its also good for resets, im still working on this part of the tech but after a divekick otg into assist the opponent can air tech at which point you can go for a throw (then use Orbital Grudge again for #2) or go for a 50/50 crossup with lightning

Stone Smite Type A

2: An easy corner carry and while usually not a popular otg because its slow it will land after zeros airthrow without any effort to otg with zero because of the
knockdown (This is what I use for a zero/vergil/skrull team because vergils S after a launch causes the same kind of knockdown) it also can be used for mixups if the opponent doesnt expect it because people general think skrulls assists suck and dont worry about him

Then I’ll delete my post so you get another reserved post.

K so Im thinking Of doing a 4 Point System,

1. Can You use it in a Combo into Lightning Loop from it
  2. Does is allow you to extend your combo to the corner
  3. Is it a Strong Neutral Game Assist that allows for Zoning/Mix ups
  4. Can you use it to Combo off of a grab?

Seem good so far?

Thanks for the credit. Hopefully the numbering system helps. I’d actually recommend switching the criteria to letters A-C so people don’t value one over the other by numbers being larger and stuff.

Also, I’d cut out that bottom paragraph since that was addressed specifically at a dude who wanted to use Strider.

Ill probably change it to a system with letter or X y Z, and Ill probably spoiler the strider in teh strider part.

Both Hidden Missiles and Plasma Beam are 1,2,3
Arthur - dagger toss = 2,3

Also yeah, lockdown and comboing off grabs on reaction should be accounted for i.e. you can do it with Hidden Missiles but not on reaction like Jam Session or Plasma Beam

Edit: Just got an idea for HM that needs testing >_>

I think throws and lockdown fall under the third category, personally. If you have too many categories it might get confusing.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

…no Nova Centurian Rush?

Easily the best assist for a Zero corner carry. BBCS air combo > Call Nova > OTG Dive goes from deep corner to deep corner.

Rush also gives Zero a dirty midscreen ground reset and nice incoming mixup. AND it gives Zero a ground bounce to work with.

Overall it’s not better than what Dante, Strider or Doom offer, but it’s right there underneath them.

DO a write up on him, Im still working on this but Ive been swamped with work so sorry about the delay guys =(…

Well Vergil’s rapid slash also gives him a fullscreen corner carry, a vicious mixup on coming characters and the 2nd best ender (IMO) for his combos into LL in corner. (Best is Jam session)

I’ve been running Doom and Strange, finally got most of the kinks out in the lab with Agamotto assist. It works like Vergil’s where you would spike opponents into the eye instead of rapid slash. The other method stocks a hard knockdown after the Missles extender. Allows just enough time to charge a buster for lightning loops. The eye is also, bigger than Zero almost. I love using it to cross opponents up midscreen for resets or incoming after a kill. In the event I want to be lazy I can just dhc to Strange even and sougenmu -> Rings or SoV is a fun way to get out if Zero’s in trouble. Double hadangeki helps Strange with crossups too.

Low quality quick example of one way I use the eye
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=359cyo3&s=5

What’s the general way to use Vajra for 1?

OTG Dive xx Buster, L Lightning, soon as you land call Vajra, slight delay, H Ryuenjin (as the last hit of Ryuenjin connects, Vajra will knock them down).
Allowing you to then either Rekkoha or OTG again and go into the solo LL setup of H Dive xx Buster, L Lightning xx Sougenmu.

Im gonna start doing spoiler tags with each character and how they fit each number.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

How are you mixing up with Rapid Slash on entry? Been trying to expand my mixups besides L.Lightining crossups.

You can hit em above, ambiguous cross up with H and if done right while rapid slash is out they will stay grounded and in hitstun still.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

^ The most basic setup for that is H hienkyaku, j.H + rapid slash, land, L hienkyaku (crossup), works wonder if they dont pushblock at the right time (as prtty much everything anyways). I love doing that setup, leaves them wondering “wtf just happened?”

K Im starting to work on the Spoiler tags with the INFO inside them, so If you post anything let me know what Number it is and Ill put the info there.

Holy shit thats Dirty LOL… you basically have 3 left/right cross ups in 1 second