Zangief Strategy/Match-up Thread

Nonno, its best to jump over it and land next to him and punish him with your Ultra for him doing that stupid move in the first place.:nono:

From my experience, the Akuma moves too far away from me when they do their special/ultra to SPD/Ultra them, so I just Ex Hand to punish and get close.

Really? Its almost standard for me to punish with Ultra. Just jump in the direction he is going. You should be able to do it.

OOOOhhh I see what you’re saying…I’ll have to try that in more player matches.

I found it very easy to catch Blanka’s ultra with a whiffed green hand to ultra after his ends.

I don’t know what to do against players who pretty much go into running away the whole ENTIRE match and using nothing but pokes(they don’t even bother trying to do combos or get anywhere near SPD range).I pretty much have to chase them the whole entire match.Any tips on dealing with these type of players in general I can beat some of them but it’s very annoying to have a single round last the whole timer against these players.

Thanks for compiling the info in this thread, it rocks!

1. Their pokes and limbs extend your SPD rainge. Hence they should ALWAYS be in range. The exception being claw because you can’t grab his claw.

2. Running out of time should always be to your benefit. You have more health than them. Deal more damage than them and let them come to you. If they run away, let them and just build meter with quick Lariat. They will feel the pressure and come to you.

3. If you’re having a hard time chasing, pause and build meter. There’s a LOT of time in this game so there’s not much to worry about time running out. Once you build meter, you have a nice arsenal of EX Green Hands to close in. Remember, if they jump over your green hands, usually wasting another green hand right after will catch them on landing. Then go back to number (2)

abel abel

I have a similar problem as Vegit, but with a specific character: Abel. I played an Abel that spent most of the match on the other side of the screen, and when I would try to attack, he would hit me with the Wheel Kick, especially jumping in. If I managed to get close, he would stuff me with his Whirlwind Throw. What moves can stop his Wheel Kick? What should I do against this type of super stay-away Abel?

don’t be afraid to turtle after you get a life lead vs (non fballer) turtlers.

I’d like to add, against Dictator, a late c. long pretty much eliminates his stomp/reverse game. He has a very hard time hitting you with purple hand/reverse when you toss it out there as he comes down.

st.mp and st.lk beats alot of the pokes that people use against you if you time them right. Also, try getting in EX green hand range and use that to knock them down. If these people are jumping alot, they likely will have a pattern to their jump. Figure out the timing, and punish them with a lariat, headbutt, etc.

Lastly, and most importantly, once you have a lead, sit back and let those bitches come to you. I have won many matches against “runners” by getting an early lead and then playing their own game against them. They are so deathy afraid of Zangief that they often won’t dare approach you until it is too late. :rofl:

what is “c.long”? Do you mean crouching medium punch?

I recall seeing s.jab stuffing Wheel Kick.

I read the S. Jab works. Ive had it work a couple times, but sometimes I still eat a foot in the face. This one move is really annoying me hard. Itll even hit me when jumping back sometimes.

there are realy much options against weelkick even headbut on reaktion is possible try it out in trainingsmode and DO NOT PANIC LARIAT :wink: thats all^^

Shotos make for a fun fight with zangief. I’ve gotten so used to scrubs picking ken, ryu and akuma as counter characters, that it almost seems like an auto win when they pick them. Sagat included. Couple Key points:

1. Patience, use the entire stage as your ring. Push them into the corner with safe pressure.

2. If you notice a sagat scrub not alternating tigers high and low, go under the high ones with cr. mk to bait a low to easily jump over. Be mindful of his knee at mid range, his lk knee leaves him safe. If hit by the knee you’ll be knocked all the way back to the other side of the screen. The key is pressuring him, not necessarily throwing him. Using his attempts to escape your cornering game and throws as a chance to do safe striking damage. Don’t let him wiggle free =P

3. Ryu’s and Kens seem to LOVE the lp hadouken jump in game. If you notice your going to block a fire ball at the perfect distance for him to jump in. simply back dash to get out of max jump-in range(larriat loses from max range). I’ve caught a ton of ryu’s and kens doing max jump ins with backdash spd or ultra/super. You usually see them jump in and automatically sweep. So a backdash spd or backdash jump works well.

4. Beating annoying pokers takes timing, and that’s it. They poke cause they count on you not having the timing to counter it. Take a step back, forcing them to either jump to close distance or do a special. Gief Excels in this guessing game. D/F +HK from distance destroys pokers. It’s active frames are amazing, you can float the sweep out there as they get up and unless they perfectly reverse you or block low, they’re on the ground again(don’t do this when wakeup ultra or super is innevitable). Jumping U+hp stuffs all kinds of intimidating wakeups ppl use. I’ve stuffed sagats ultra/super, kens hp dp, ryu’s dp, cannon spikes etc etc. It’s got 12 active frames so it definitely doesn’t require complex timing, and not to mention it does 600 stun. If you get the timing to sweep, and add jumping u+hp to your ground game arsenal, pokers die quick. Also, learn your chains, cr. lp 3x–>st.mp is a wonderful chain to give yourself distance to breath.

5. Once you get completely comfortable with knowing all your options against runners, it turns into fun chasing them, and watching them squirm =).

I actually lost a match last weekend to backdash wheel kick. The entire match. Guy saw I couldnt deal with it and raped me.

What i found in training mode is st lp is only if it the wheel kick isnt at max range. So if the abel can get it right where just the tip of the foot, st lp won’t work. Obviously lariat doesn’t work either.

To the guy who said headbutt works, you could just do st lp at that range and get a better position with walking up while abel is reset in the air. So you could have a higher risk reward with headbutt and give up positioning for stun or…

After looking at frame data and seeing what worked in the match, I would suggest learning the distance where far st lp works.

In this range use st lp to reset, walk up to jab range spd and punish or just keep walking up.

If you are already blocking it, st mp will hit regardless of which version of wheel kick they used. I doubt you are in range to do mp lk green hand, cuz if you are in that range, you probably could have done lp to stuff it.

able is just fresch meet for zangief therefore i do not know where the problem is its on of the realy bad matchups for able…

as i mentioned EVEN headbut stuff it and there is no bad thing in just blocking it ^^able will not chip gief to death…

Abel is like, Gief’s best matchup. He’s the inferior grappler, and his pokes aren’t all too good.

SPD is your friend in this matchup.