Zangief Q&A: Ask simple questions here!

I think we can add a bit more to U2

[media=youtube]ef5MxDxv9_k&NR=1[/media]

basically showing U2 punishing a bunch of different ultras. editing is kinda crappy though.

[media=youtube]q_MtmUE0_1M&feature=related[/media]

while practically useless, you can U2 after a FA

I didn’t add the first one because of crap editing, but if you think it’ll help…

Oh we Hollywood now, stickied!

Is there any reason at point blank to punish with MP SPD over HP SPD?

Nope. If it is truly point blank I go with Suplex as a punish (and meter builder). If distance is at all iffy for that go for HP SPD. If distance is at all iffy for that I go for LP SPD. Only time I use MP is if I am piano-ing SPD’s.

Is there any way to punish backdash with an OS rather than just ex green hand if you think they will do it?

Also, what´s the best option if they jump back on wakeup (i assume if you time well your c.jab it will hit but sometimes they get away after the usual spd jab gh setup)?

Is there any reason to go for the low short combos anymore or its always best to do the standard c.jab, c.jab, st.lk EX gh?

Correct me if im wrong, but watching jap videos if you are in range its always best to use suplex instead of spd, right (ive saw sometimes they use ex version, its only for damage)?

Against some characters i dont feel very confident when I do spd - lp gh, since I feel i dont have enought time to mixup again, am i timing it wrong or its not always that safe?

Kinda new to zangief, sorry!

How can I force my enemy not to jump?
cr.lk is your best tool(combo into green hand)

Neutral headbutt should make people think twice about jumping.

that would work to. there are many ways, but I was thinking after a splash crossup

"Is there any way to punish backdash with an OS rather than just ex green hand if you think they will do it? "

There is a OS-sweep for catching backdash and it is listed in UltraDavid’s thread here.

“Also, what´s the best option if they jump back on wakeup (i assume if you time well your c.jab it will hit but sometimes they get away after the usual spd jab gh setup)?”

For Jumping back on wakeup there are several options: meaty c.lk will keep them on the ground, j.lp will do an air-to-air reset, lariat can catch them on the way up, dash forward EXGH, s.hk… I am sure there are others.

“Is there any reason to go for the low short combos anymore or its always best to do the standard c.jab, c.jab, st.lk EX gh?”

Well, low short combos do more damage but are 1-frame links (that can be plinked) and keep the opponent on the ground. Preference I guess. I usually do c.lp x 2-3, c.lk xx EXGH; c.lp x 2, s.lp, s.mp if I have no meter.

“Correct me if im wrong, but watching jap videos if you are in range its always best to use suplex instead of spd, right (ive saw sometimes they use ex version, its only for damage)?”

Suplex is for damage and meter build. Suplex does 220 and builds a ton of meter. HP SPD does 230 with not as much meter build. EX-Suplex does 240 and has the added “security” of having armor in case something odd happens or spacing is off and he throws his hands up.

I have a question:
If you guys are in a big life deficit and have an opportunity to punish what is your go to for a long-term mixup? I have been playing around with punishing with BnB just so I can try to keep pressure on.

I too am playing around with punishing with a BnB instead of a suplex.

Wouldn’t a suplex be better for a long term mix up since its an untechable KD, uses no meter and pushes the opp to the corner?

True, but there’s nothing wrong with mixing in a few BnBs with the suplex to throw off your opponent.

In my opinion, it’d just depend on the range on what long-term would be better. Bnbs if not close enough to Suplex, suplex if close.

How to deal with jumpback and or jumpback with an attack

I notice everytime I play gief, once I get my brother into the corner. He’s always spamming UB, jumping and hitting an attack. This seems to give me alot of trouble, especially rose or balrog’s jump HK or HP. I can’t seem to lariet cause they hit zangief’s vulnerable head. I’ve tried standing LP, MP, HK but seems iffying.

I read somewhere they recommended EX greenhand into SPD, but wasn’t really sure if that was my only option. My execution isn’t all that great, I can’t do 1-frame links (D+LK, or MP ~ LK) or FAB or Ultra consistent enough (get EX SPD often).

How do you guys handle this strategy? And what are my viable options with and without EX meter?

Thanks,

Focus it?

… isn’t 95% of this covered in ultradavids thread!!! or the chosen one??? oh well, i guess people don’t like to read.

Around 1:14 -1:15. [media=youtube]tQ-WVQthGSs[/media] Elaborate.

Backdash makes the player airborne, so ultra 2 will catch it if it is low enough.

mixing up is always good

, not necessarily. And the EXGH comboes pushback as well. The benefit s the suplex have over GH are namely meter and a slightly further pushback, but, I’m pretty sure Gief comboes can do even more damage, and push to the corner as well. Suplex gives you more time to reset your mix-up game, combo leadsto a more ‘pressurized and rush down’ fear. People squirm more with Gief comboes than throws shrug I like watching my prey squirm…

• :bluu: