Zangief Flowchart (with Option Select Meaties)

Sorry if the way I phrase this comes out not sounding like a question but it really is…

Because of the incredibley slow startup time of Balrog’s reversal options can’t you time the jab later than against other characters and still have it be safe? that way perhaps making it easier to stop the backdash? I actually have no clue why this would matter but your post to the commenter above made it seem like by not timing the jabs as safe meaties it would somehow enable zangief to sweep balrog when he shouldn’t be able to.

Hopefully that makes sense…
anyways good thread lots of good info! Nice.

This is really great stuff. I think this is too indepth for most people on SRK forums to understand lol. I’m pretty sure every character has these anti-backdash option selects. I have a video of me doing it with Dic and I’ve done it with Ryu.

Yes let’s separate the men from the boys lol.

For Honda (I thought you had skipped E.Honda lol), meaty #3: how does c.jab beat out backdash or focus backdash? And what if he does wakeup orochi throw?

Honda’s command throw has a ton of start up. It’s not like Zangief’s. I think a meaty cr.jab will beat it.

Crapface is right, Honda’s command throw has a 5 frame startup, so it shouldn’t be hitting you during pressure. In case you didn’t know, the EX version doesn’t have any different properties in terms of invincibility frames or speed.

Oh, no doubt. Dude, Sakura’s ex dragon punch is so sick in option selects. Think of how fast it moves, how far it moves, and how invincible it is. I haven’t tried it as extensively as I have Gief’s stuff, but it’s beaten every backdash and most reversals I’ve tried it against. I definitely think that eventually high level SF4 play is going to involve a lot of option selecting by both players.

At the same time, I think Gief benefits from this kind of stuff more than anyone else. There’s no one you want to escape from more than Zangief, and against Zangief even blocking is very risky. Dictator’s slide kills almost every backdash, but… why do you need to backdash against Dictator? Just block, and if you he tries to throw, try to tech it, and if you get thrown, that’s too bad but it’s not a huge deal. Basically, your default option is block, and occasionally you want to do something else. That’s not how it is against Gief, though. There’s no default option against Gief, you just have to guess what to do from among all your options. It’s much more important for Gief than anyone else to have ways to deal with as many of the opponent’s potential options as possible just because the opponent is going to try his different potential options much more frequently against Gief than against anyone else.

Well, not really. Against a lot of characters doing jab o-s sweep is always unsafe because their reversals beat the jab, so there’s no point in worrying about when you do the jab as long as the opponent still has to wake up into it, since regardless of how you time it, if they do a reversal you’ll get popped. But you can do it as a safe meaty against Rog, so you should take advantage of that by keeping your jab within that safe window. Iirc Boxer’s fastest reversal is 8 frames, and since your low jab recovers in 6 frames and your low short in 7, you really don’t have much leeway in terms of how late you can time your meaty.

But in any case, in my testing I haven’t found that timing the jab later makes the option select sweep work. Could be wrong about that of course, and that’s why I want you guys to test things out too.

Yeah, the guys above me are right that his wakeup command grab loses to all meaty attacks. As for why the cr. jab beats backdash and focus backdash, well, Honda’s backdash is really short and slow. It’s pretty useless.

I should probably mention this in the first post, but when I say “cr. jab” or something like “air attack cr. jab o-s green hand,” the cr. jab means do a bunch of crouching jabs like how you normally would in a crouching jab block string or combo. If you’re holding back while you do that, a properly timed safe attack will still let you block, since the opponent puts you in block stun before you 2nd jab can come out.

So against Honda, “cr. jab” means “do a full crouching jab block string or combo while holding back or down-back.” One crouching jab doesn’t beat Honda’s backdash or focus backdash, it’s the 2nd jab that does. If Honda does backdash, his backdash’s startup invincibility will move through the first jab, but his backdash is so short and slow that he gets hit by the 2nd jab because he’s still close enough and hasn’t recovered fast enough. Same thing for his focus backdash. He focuses the first hit, backdashes, and is still in range to get hit by the the next jab.

Ok, there’s the full first draft with your options against every character. Got a couple more things to test out on a couple characters, but I don’t think there will be any major changes.

So much good stuff. GJ.

I think maybe zangief’s wakeup ex-spd or ex-360k would beat headbutt.

Viper’s list should just say “everything”.

I noticed your list for Gouken was rather vague due to his counters. I mean I guess you have to play a 3Sish game with him on his wake up and due to that he never really has to deal with a lot of Gief’s pressure which isn’t bad at all. I mean I guess you could just bait 360 him on the wake up since he doesn’t have a DP but otherwise he sounds like he can get out of a lot of Gief shenanigans for free. In some ways it’s probably worse for Gief to get countered than a 3S parry just because Gief loses his positioning all the way to the other end of the screen. Not good for Gief at all. Hmmm…I may pick up Gouken just for that matchup. Sounds interesting to try.

If Gouken doesn’t guess right, then he’s screwed. He has very little he can do against wake up pressure. Countering usually isn’t a very good idea for Gouken against gief because you can just empty jump into SPD/atomic suplex/super/ultra. If he guesses wrong once and you land the ultra, that’s half his life. If he guesses right, you lose positioning but once gief has meter, he can move in on Gouken rather easily. You just have to walk him to the corner.

They don’t, but you’re right, I should have put that in the Gief section to start with. You’re too high in the air to land into the ex spd during its active frames and the headbutt lasts for too many frames for the ex spd’s invincibilty to matter. The ex 360k absorbs the headbutt, but then you land and hit it with your crouching short and can cancel that into ex hand for a knockdown with big damage and big stun (since when you absorb something, you absorb both its damage and its stun). Anyway, updated!

You’re right, this is particularly bad news for Viper, whose wakeup is solved more than almost anyone else’s. All of her options lose or are blocked, and the ones that are blocked lead to her eating 720 or 360k and having to deal with another no-option wakeup situation. This is one matchup that I’d started to think was pretty even ever since Combofiend’s and Victoly’s Vipers started getting so good, but I think this might actually switch the matchup back in favor of Gief. In general I think these options make Gief better but don’t necessarily change the matchup; I think they actually might in Viper’s case.

As for Gouken, yeah, it’s just a guessing game. I have some tricks I haven’t posted up yet about dealing with each of his options, but you still have to guess which option he’s going for.

Every other character’s initial wakeup is solved here; that is, if you use the meaty options listed here, the opponent HAS to block the first hit or else lose 20-60% life and get thrown right back into another meaty situation. Now there’s still obviously a limited guessing game against even the most solved characters because occasionally you want to take advantage of their belief that they have to block by mixing up where they have to block or doing a command grab instead, and once they block the first hit they can still guess their way out of your pressure. But these guessing games are entirely on your terms in that you decide whether to play them and the opponent has to guess whether you are or aren’t going to do whatever.

Gouken is different. Even with the tricks I’m working on, Gouken can still do any of low counter, high counter, ex counter, ex hurricane, ex demon flip, or block. Those options beat and lose to different things, and there’s just no way to solve them all at the same time. You don’t get the luxury of forcing him to block or having the guessing game be strictly on your terms; he still has games he can play even as he gets up.

And that’s a pretty significant advantage compared to everyone else. Crapface is right that if he guesses wrong he can eat big damage. But if he guesses right, he not only always escapes but usually knocks you all the way to the other side of the screen, meaning that he not only deals whatever damage comes directly from the counter or hurricane but also the damage you’re very probably going to take in trying to get back to that knockdown-mixup situation. I think Gouken’s wakeup game is very underrated.

Ok, so can wakeup gief do the ex-360k, armor-absorb cancel glitch ultra?

Lol, I’m just trying to figure out a way to fight the meaty as wakeup gief, because personally the mirror is my weakest match-up.

Gief can do that glitch here, but even if he does you still won’t be on the ground before his ultra’s active frames are over. Remember, you’re doing the headbutt at Gief’s shoulder range, so you have some distance to fall still before you land and become throwable, and that takes more time than that glitch does to activate. Gief can’t do anything about another Gief using that meaty option.

Wakeup focus attack. That’s gotta work…although super risky considering gief is gonna eat the headbutt damage if he fails.

Yeah I listed that as one of his potential options, if you’ll notice (focus backdash). Yes, you can get out of the meaty situation, but you take such huge damage and stun from the headbutt that focusing really isn’t worth it. You must have just gotten knocked down to even be in that situation in the first place, so your stun bar is probably already up in the 200-300s, or maybe higher if your opponent had already pressured you before that. Eating a headbutt at that point could mean immediate dizzy or dizzy from the next combo or next couple hits, and then you’ll eat a 720 or level 3 focus to 360k and either be dead or close to it. Focus backdash is technically an option in that it will let you escape from this meaty option, but in reality you should almost never use it.

nah I meant focus attack. Don’t cancel with backdash, actually follow through with the clothesline lol.

Wouldn’t this work? If headbutting gief is high enough so that he can’t get caught by glitch ultra, then the clothesline should tag him. It’s risky cuz like you say, if it trades with the short, wakeup gief can’t recover the headbutt damage and might even get dizzy.

Looking over everything, it looks like there’s no mention of regular focus attack for any character…i figure it would work if gief is not crossing them up on meaty.

No that doesn’t work either, the short beats the focus before it can actually start hitting.

That’s a good idea, though, hadn’t thought to test it. Guess I’ll try it out for everyone else later.

You can throw sakura between the two dragon punches of her ex dp with your ultra, and I think your EX spd as well. Probably even your normal spd. The reason this is important, is that if a sakura is planning on fadcing her dp, she usually does it on the second dp to allow her to hit confirm for her huge combo, or safely dash back. Just a thought. Oh and her Focus is pretty deceptive, if you are going to test anyone’s hers might be worth it. I have avoided many an attack because of the wierd hitboxes involved with running away with her focus.

Wow this is fantastic, thanks so much for taking the time to put this together.