Zangief Beginners Thread

Everyone answered the others so for
3. CA works when someone is neutral, blocking or in hitstun(in combos) but not block stun.
4. After the second hk they recover with you at a slight frame advantage. This in my opinion is inferior to cc with hp. Hp gives a guaranteed follow up with big damage. By doing the hk cc reset you are giving up 150+ in guaranteed damage( the difference between the hp cc combo and the hk cc reset) for a possible 250 hp spd. Not really a good trade off unless it would get you the kill and you don’t have meter. Not to mention the hard read in reset, you miss it you could eat a 500 damage retaliation. Not worth the risk.

while you can do that with st.hp and ex air spd, I think you misunderstood. st.hp does not launch on crush counter but st.hk does (you can ex air spd after CC st.hk too though)

You’re right, CC HP to HP SPD is best for pure guaranteed damage without V trigger. What trips me up with it sometimes is the range in relation to the spd. Say on a whiffed dp in front of you with HP CC it seems 50/50 that you’ll have the time to dash in for a hp spd or might even be a pixel or two away for jab spd.

For the st.hk cc, st.hk reset to super I wonder if this can be done in a way that is unescapable if you’re frame perfect on super activation. I’ve had people jump back when they land from st.hk reset. It could be my timing off a frame, but with 0f start up on super how much time do they have to jump from landing? Buffering that 720 while in st.hk active frames all you need to do is press punch when they land and they likely won’t be able to beat it out with a move or button so jump seems the only way out.

It’s a 1 frame so no. The timing is tight on dash spd but you can get it down. Or you can do headbutt, lk, lariat

Thanks filldoh helpful and insightful

I was in the lab a bunch tonight and now its all clear. I had not explored the properties of the CC HP at all! Thanks so much for the help guys.

Neutral jump HP combos into CA, I like it.

Question regarding anti-airs.

I noticed the more experienced Giefs seem to be almost exclusively using s.LP to counter jump-ins. Is this pretty much the optimal option? Is there any situation in which you’d favor cr.HP? Does it matter that much? I’ve mostly been using cr.HP to blow up people who jump too much and it seems to work pretty well, but does s.LP open them up to nastier stuff?

no it is just faster so you can react quicker and it has a better hitbox. if you see the jump early cr. HP is a better option.

Hello! New to Gief but not grapplers in general, tried him out online today and he is too much fun to put down. I know this question has been asked 1 million times and I’ve tried shortcuts for hours that I’ve found on youtube etc. How does one actually buffer in the CA in a string of normals. Right now I’m using it as a gimmick which just gives me a bad habit. If someone got multiple ways of doing it I would very much like to view them. I know how to pull it off from a cLK > cLK but man, it’s tight! Thanks!

I like to use this input (if I’m facing right): 741236741236P. This prevent bear hug from accidentally being inputted.

Does the V-trigger into air SPD have to be EX? Or can you just use the normal version?

Normal (any flavor) won’t hit. It has to be EX. If you don’t have the meter, s.HK or bodysplash is an ok alternative.

So im actually trying to help a friend get better with Gief, is there a resource someone could point me to with good info on executing/buffering 360 motions while grounded?

Not a 360 motion player myself…

I don’t know of any guides but the basic stuff is pretty easy.

1. Buffering - just churn that shit like butter during the animation of another move. A nice one to practice that useful during matches is forward + mk and then buffer the spd during the knee and then hit punch upon landing. Once they have that down, they should try and buffer the CA into it.

2. Standing spd. Basically I go 41236 and then 8 or 9 + Punch button. You can also go 63214. As long as you hit P before you actually jump you are fine.

I think there are more advanced ways of buffering the inputs, but my scrub ass knows this way.

Like most things, I would say he/she should go into training and put inputs on and see whats up. IMO more than any other character, the player being good with their input device matters. There are certain gamepads where spd’s and especially the CA are miserable/impossible for a lot of people. Even on pads that are good for it (vita) my 360 execution is very poor compared to my execution on an arcade stick.

Need help with guys who just keep jumping in on me all day. Literally they will jump in with an attack, do probably 2 normals, jump back in again. I block but then eventually they’ll just grab me. Feel helpless. Lariat just gets stuffed, they’re not in range for c.HP, st.LP is not reliable. I dunno what to do. Need help =(

I had the same issues but now feel that my AA game is improved and getting towards solid. 80% of my AA is lariat and 20% s.lp. Get into training and set the dummy to jumping attack you for a few hours and get the feel for lariat. It is almost all feel and recognition. If you read a jump do a lariat early. I like st.lp for reaction and keeping opponent in the corner.

It will come to you if you practice this. Get to the lab!

Mesenk is right here. Lab pays dividends in full.

If they are predictably jumping back you can sometimes catch them with st. Hk or instant air spd. Beware of frame traps tho.

A lot of aa’s in this game are range/angle dependent. I personally have given up using lariat. It works most of the time, but when I whiff, eating a full ch jump in combo doesn’t feel worth it.

St. Hk is also good for long range jumpins. Can also lead to a crush counter into a rest. And I’ve also had luck with f. Hp if the opponent likes using attacks that don’t have large hit boxes

I feel now that Gief is kinda like SF4 Sim. He has 3 aa’s (lariat, st.ja, cr.hp) and all are situational. I too am still struggling against jump happy scrubs and honestly it’s been beyond frustrating. You gotta learn the spacings for each and just keep playing until it becomes natural and you automatically know which one to use. I’ve also noticed Snake Eyez using cr.hp way more too. St.jab is by far the best imo and that’s what Ive been mostly using. Lariat is just garbage.

Only installed the game last night, and I too am finding I get destroyed by free jump ins.

My instinctive crouch Lariat was the death of me. So now …

I’m going to retrain to use crouch HP, and standing jab

Ah, counter hit standing jab into L3 Aerial Russian Slam, good ol’ SFA3 days.

Also going to look at V-Skill and EX RBG for anti-air, both look promising.

Can anyone recommend a neutral jump or back jump or forward jump normal anti-air, or even a low profile crouch anti-air?

J. Mp, j. Lp, and of course air spd