You May Be of Some Use to Me: The Dr Doom Team thread

I notice as well. How you liking Haggar so far? Was thinking of trying Thor today. Try sent, but not my style. I’m liking Hulk so far, let’s see how it goes with Thor.

There are 2 teams I really like with Doom:

Doom/Sentinel/Dante

Dante’s Jam Session assist is so good, and if by any chance he’s vulnerable during that assist you can use Plasma Beam to keep your opponent off bay. Or if the opponent somehow gets through Dante’s assist you can Missile Launcher to keep them back.

Sentinel is a beastly powerhouse that can support Doom with his Sentinel Force (charge or bomb) assist.

Doom/Sentinel/ Hsien-Ko

Hsien-Ko with her super armored assist will keep almost every jackass off of you, and if the opponent happens to get above you, just use Missile Launcher or Photon Shot to keep them out.

Also you can combo with her assist very well and get some very nasty hits on the way.

If Hsien-Ko takes a ton of damage due to a super, then X-Factor away and spam with Sentinel, cuz he can build meters and chip damage like CRAZY.

I’ve been using Magneto/Doom/Sentinel, Magneto and Sentinel have been the two that I can use well enough and get my wins with but I haven’t worked out a good 2nd char. I like Dooms playstyle so i’ve started using him and i’m just wondering is this a viable team? i’m new to the vs series so don’t know if I should be using someone else.

Haggar is gimicky but as an assist he’s pretty great. If people rush u down just lariat and thats basically a free combo for doom.

Problem with haggar the character is just that its really hard to get in and he’s extremely slow. he has very tricky frame traps tho and does beast damage.

Wesker (Jaguar Kick)/ Doom (Molecular Shield)/ Super Skrull (Tenderizer)

I like the Jaguar kick because after an air combo you can OTG with C Assist A Molecular shield for an easy confirm into level 3 hyper
You can do the same thing with tenderizer.

I go Wolverine(Barrage)/Spidey(Shot)/Doom(Rocks).

I enjoy it so far, I might change Spider for someone I like more later on, thinking maybe Iron Man/Magneto/Storm, but I can deal with him for right now(DHC Max Spider rocks). The spider shot is nice to keep combos going with some practice. Rocks are useful for hiding behind and going in and Doom has a surprisingly great keep away game and isn’t hard to play while they’re in on you, either. I’ve won a lot of games by using little meter until I have just Doom left, X-Factor and chip away. Any suggestions on what to put in instead of Spidey? I feel he’s out of place…

Also, I think that Doom and Wolvie were built to rape Sentinel.

i played spidey/wolvie/doom in mvc2 both the point characters plus rocks raped people in the corner. right now i use zero instead of wolverine though.

Should Doom be using some form of anti air assist primarily? It seems like he has all the tools to push himself across the screen if he needs to, and strong enough mixups with his dash cancelled moves in the air that he may not need a low hitting assist.

My team so far is Doom(rocks)/C.Viper(burn kick)/Morrigan(harmonizer/dp).

while most people expect the instant overhead from iad j.b. I use viper for one of the few overhead assists to keep them guessing. so I’ll tridash back down for the low, if burning kick assist works, I can combo them. Also, viper’s 214lsuper/j214s is amazing for connecting lvl 3s or sphere flame. I use morrigan’s assist to help with meter building if I’m playing keep-away with doom or switch up to dp if they’re running a rushdown team.

Why don’t more people use hidden missiles? In my opinion rocks is the worst of the 3 assists. The rocks don’t really lock your opponent down unless you time it right and restrict their vertical movement. It’s a lot easier to limit horizontal movement than it is vertical and missiles hit a lot more times than rocks. The added delay means you can disrupt their reversal attempts more easily, but it makes locking them down a bit harder.

Plasma beam has a ton of durability points and eats shit up all day.

I’m liking this team for Dr. Doom because of the fact that you can Doom/Sentinel have a similar DHC to the old Storm/Sentinel one. You can do air combo into photon array and DHC into hyper sentinel force. Its almost like Santhrax except your Commando slot can actually kill people.

I’m running Wolverine (Tornado Claw) / Viper (Burn Kicks) / Doom (Molecular Shield)

I start with Wolverine on point because he’s very quick, and it’s easy to get a hitconfirm by setting up an unblockable with Burning Kick, or crossing them up with Doom Rocks>Berserker Slash what have you. I’ll keep Wolvie in as long as I can, and switch out for Doom/Viper if he can’t handle it. I like DHC-ing out/in with Weapon X, it makes his Tornado Claw stupidly fast, but I still need to try out his other assists.

Viper is a meter-whore, she does great damage, but you’ve gotta set it up (That’s why I paired her with Wolvie and Doom, both of them do very good meterless damage). Doom Rocks at close range gives her time to charge her Focus Attack>combo and from far away acts as cover. Not much else to say, she’s a solid, albeit meter heavy, character.

Doom is the man, when Wolverine starts to lose his health, Doom can stall easily to let him recover, he can also just kill the shit out of whatever was beating on poor Wolverine. Burning Kick is great to use when going for a f.H>df. Air Dash>c.L>c.M to set up an unblockable. And a Weapon X-ified Tornado Claw helps Doom zone pretty well (it conveniently hits right above Doom’s head, which is the one place Photon Shot DOESN’T hit).

Last night was my first experience with a capable opponent. We played probably 30 games or so. His rushdown with x23/phoenix/chun was smothering. My team was doom/haggar/dormammu. aside from the lariat, i really couldn’t use my doom/dormammu assists because he would have me backed in a corner with just ridiculous pressure. even if i use advancing guard, he would figure ways around it to keep the pressure. Maybe its just the technical gameplay i am not used to

TLDR when u do create space with doom, how do you7 start your offense? from behind the safety of your assist? IF there is no other real way to start getting in (as dashes are easily poked) then i need to rethink my team and get a better assist like sentinel. dormammu is not a good assist for Doom.

Team I’m currently building is Hsien-ko(pendulum)/Spidey(ball)/doom(rocks)
It’s really all about the gold hsien assist, but I feel that doom rocks really help her keep away game, and help spidey get in from afar. Web ball is alright to keep on the pressure as well but nothing great, obviously. Doom has pretty strong mixup and it just gets scary with the gold assist, but really, everyone gets scary with that assist. Doom’s dhc dp super also connects after max spider or you do dhc gold super dhc spire, but it actually switches sides), and his qcb super allows for safe dhc for gold super.

What assist do you have Dormammu using? Dark Hole requires some positioning, but it hits enough times that you should be able to close some distance… Sentinel’s Drones WOULD probably be better though

I generally haven’t had much of a problem getting in with Doom just by using air dash cancels and dive kicks (or just by DHC/air exchanging him in), but that might just be the Human Variable (a.k.a. “People can be very stupid”)

If you’re using Dormammu, doesn’t his Dark Hole assist cause a knockdown? use the time they’re stuck on the floor to close in, and abuse that Lariat to keep them from getting in Doom’s “personal space”, it really is a ridiculously good assist.

When I have space, I use the dark hole assist to start my mixup. Its really big so I jump in and either dash f B or dash df into cr A, but against this guy he always had me in the corner. I would alleviate pressure by advancing guard and I would call dormammu, but idk how he did it but he was up on me and then i’m looking at x 23 launch my point character and dormammu up into the air into a combo, get hit to the ground, OTG by that stupid x23 move X factor, and then both my characters are dead.

I had to resort to having lariat get him off me and then combos off of that, but I dont want my game plan to be get myself in the corner and wait for lariat to hit. just seems like dormammu’s dark hole is a little slow but idk i’ll keep messing around with it. perhaps ill try sentinel with doom as the missle thing with him looks way more helpful.

What Doom assist would be best for Chun with Lightning Legs assist on point and Akuma tatsu second? (doom is last)

I had missiles at first, but I switched to rocks and both have their pros and cons so it’s tough to choose.

Missiles allow Chun to get in and have the opponent worry about two things. Even if I ended up being comboed, missiles come in and save the day. But when the opponent is using a keep away, Doom gets hit easily.

Rocks cover Chun completely and it takes like three daggers from arthur to destroy the “shield” of rocks. It let’s her get in and the rocks cover doom during startup so he doesnt get hit easily. The only bad thing is that it can be easily dodged.

Trying Sent at this point is probably your best bet… idk, it’s hard to give advice when even you don’t know what the opponent was doing (no offense), shame this game doesn’t have that handy post-match record function, honestly I don’t know why Capcom didn’t put that in, I really see no reason not to have it.

It also doesn’t help that I don’t play with X-23, Phoenix, OR Chun, so I’m pretty unfamiliar with their tool sets as of right now…

How about Plasma Beam? IMO, it’s one of the best projectile assists in this game. You can use Plasma Beam as cover for getting in. It also aids in fights against other projectile-based characters, which archetypically rush down characters despise. One down side is that your combo will do poor damage due to scaling if you connect your hits after Plasma Beam hits, so it’s not a great way to start your assault. Instead, you’ll have to use it as a positional tool, opening up opportunities to mix your opponent up. You’ll have to go into the lab and test possible set ups (I don’t use Akuma or Chun-Li, so I wouldn’t know of any) and see if they mesh together.

Im currently using Zero/Doom/Sent.

Pretty good dhc with Rekkoha to Sphere Flame.
Ive been using hidden missiles with doom to trap opponents and cross them up with zeros command teleport/dash.
Sentinel is the odd man out but I bet Hard Drive to sphere flame would be cool and more projectiles never hurt sent… then again nothing really does.

Edit: now that I think about it I wonder if I did hidden missiles then rekkoha. If i could get a second air combo after a super jump!!!

you can call it the the katari combo… if it works