You can Lead a Scrub to Water, but you can't make 'em Think

this post describes alot about me…
I got one thing for you all tho…
[media=youtube]NkwJ-g0iJ6w[/media]

I am a good player, not new. I agree with you, insulting is not the way to help!

He isn’t really pointing his anger toward new players, more toward people who think they are badass because they won a few matches online.

Good read! 1st time I’ve read one of your post and you’re clearly a passionate player. I’ve tried teaching new people around me all the time but it always seems that they don’t respect the game enough to want to become a better player and not only that, they encourage their scrubby gameplay. To them, I guess whatever works at the time they consider themselves to be good but in reality it’s just sheer recklessness and it leads to unstable wins/losses.

On top of that, most of them gloat about their wins and think they’re the shit when they get a lucky win off a supposed better player. It’s really sad when I see newer players disrespecting the game by encouraging lazyness and rude behavior. It’s not like better players are trying to discourage any current new players from fighting games in general but more along the lines of the better players wanting better for the newer players because when you play a character properly, you can do and enjoy things about the game that you probably never knew possible.

if there were no scrubs, what would there be?

Not sure. But I know that I am definitely a scrub. I can’t seem to play a single character “properly”. And no matter how much I train, no matter how many matches I have, it just seems it’s never good enough to some people. And I’ve been playing for years! And, everyone seems to give up on helping me. I’ve been blacklisted on every other fighting game forum except this one.

So, how do I get out of the “scrub” mentality, and start playing to learn “properly” without absolutely no one to help me?

if nobody wants to help you you must of did something bad most likely your attitude. the only thing you can really do is try your hardest. if you really want something bad enough you would do everything in your power to obtain information on a character. you cant play a character the right way then watch videos on the character that you like. go to the streetfighter sub forum and look at character discussions where there are other people who share the same interest in the character you like. you get tons of tips and information to go off there. look on match making on psn forum to find people to spar with theres tons of people willing to play if you have a good attitude and a decent connection with little to none lag. and i honestly dont see how you got black listed from every forum your gonna have to fix that.

I really enjoyed this article - chuckled quite a few times at the lulz moments XD. Great read as always, and I hope more people find and read these. I know I’ll be directing others to this article and this section in general ^^

I’m really enjoying the articles by Seth Killian. They expound upon the mental aspect of the game in such great detail.

Someone get this man a podium and conference hall!

Also, the title reminds me of a Death By Stereo song.

I agree 100% with this article great read:)

It’s good that the classic definition of “scrub” is here for people to investigate. It really is a problem, I feel, that “scrub” has gotten bent and warped out of shape. It seems that for many, or most, “scrub” now refers to someone who has a playstyle you think is “lame”. Throw fireballs all day as Ryu because you know how to zone? “You’re just a fucking scrub you only know how to throw fireballs.” Or, scrub is used as a pejorative for “noob”. The poisonous elitism some people try to inject into the community, where those who are merely new to the game are treated like frat house hazing victims.

The irony is that people who misuse the term scrub often display signs of being the actual scrub in the room. People who call someone a scrub because they don’t like the way they play, tend to be guys that think a certain play style is unfair or “stupid”. They can’t actually understand the game, and figure out why their opponent is playing the way they do.

That’s mostly because the term is being used by newer players who want to sound like they’re in with the community and have no idea what the term is really supposed to mean.

True to a degree, though I see/hear a lot of pros who should know better throw the term around in streams and such. Given how much the term is misused, you’d think this article would get the occasional bump on the SRK front page blog or something.

Well considering most scrubs don’t understand high level play this post does make sense. They usually get away with bullshit tactics that work online and they have never attended a tournament or have a legit scene in there area. It’s sad really but if you think about this these type of people are keeping the scene a live. We can only hope that they’ll eventually realize that SF takes mind games and complete skill rather than random bullshit to attain a maximum epicness. :pray:

Language evolves. “Scrub” means whatever the people want it to mean.

I’m somewhat new to fighting games, training hard for MvC3. I openly admit I have much to learn. Nevertheless, your post opened my eyes a bit. I definitely was not watching tournament videos correctly. Nor was I approaching tournaments correctly. (Going to EVO for the first time this year.) I need to keep it simple, stay tough-minded, and focused.

Thanks very much for your posts, and I hope I don’t get labeled a scrub. ;D

BTW, I hate online matches… just because I win them doesn’t make me feel like a badass. I plan to move to SoCal simply to get better at offline matches, and become a much better player.

Excellent read, liked it a lot. I’m pretty new to fighting games in general, though I’ve played a few in the past…not to a hardcore level though. I’ve recently just started SSF4:AE and wanting to start to enter tournaments. This article helped me look at watching videos a whole different way. Thanks.
Hopefully I get better, I really dislike online games but it’s all I really have for now and the occasional friend’s house. I spend hours in practice mode trying to get use to SF though since I’ve never really played them when I was younger.

Really enjoyed this read as well. Great job.

Front page this for the lulz.:rolleyes: