Ye Olde English Pub: The Dudley Social

Guard Crush 7

I’ll link to the stream before I head out

Good luck. I need to improve on my footsies game with Dudley. I’m going to try to go to an upcoming tournament this month.

Guard Crush 7 is on wednesday, not tomorrow o.0’

Either way, I’ll see you at Guard Crush 7 if you go. Havent played Dudley mirror match in… well forever.

I vehemently oppose this being called ye olde english pub. Gentlemen do not frequent such drinking establishments to quench their thirst like farm animals quaffing pints of cheap ale.

They go to Gentleman’s Clubs to drink port and smoke.

Turns out I had dates screwed up (lol).
I’m not going anywhere until Wednesday…?
Stream Monstering it up today…

This forum needs a thread for general Dudley chit-chat, so props. It seems there are hardly any Dudley players for Super SF, so having a multitude of threads is in a way a bit of a waste, as sadly there aren’t enough people to keep the discussion flowing.

Dudley in Super SF feels very Dudley-esque to me, he does play very similarly to his SF3 iterations. His problem is the SF4 engine, which does not suit his playstyle at all well, and in fact also applies to Makoto and Ibuki too. It’s a case of “don’t hate the player, hate the game!” As a result, he require a LOT of hardwork, and it’s very hard to get in as Jump-in parry and walk forward, low parry are no longer available to him. I think that’s what throws most people off using the Dud-meister competitively.

Anyway that topic has been covered too many times already, so I’d like to move the topic on to something else. Anyone got any tips against Honda? This seems to be a very hard match as Honda is such a tank. He can literally just sit there doing nothing and it’s hard to know what to do. The fact that he can take so much punishment hurts Dudley too, and he has an absolute plethora of wake-up options to allow him to evade trouble.

Currently, I play this match very cautiously. If Honda has any meter, I only attack him if I can setup a safe-jump situation, as otherwise I get really scared when up close. Headbutt, Sumo Splash, etc give him lots of ways to evade pressure, and the last thing I want is to be knocked down myself and lose all the momentum I have built up.

Some useful tidbits I have in this match are:

• Rolling Thunder to punish any Headbutt (I think we all know about this one).
  • Cross Counter the Sumo Splash on the downwards part. Useful sometimes.
  • Jump straight up over a headbutt and on landing EX MGB to punish. (Hard to do as you can’t really jump the headbutt on reaction).
  • If Honda neutral jump HP’s, you can time a Duck Straight to hit him on the way down. You can even land a HP Jet Upper afterwards too.
  • Blocked Far HK can be punished by Rolling Thunder, Duck Straight / Duck Upper / Duck xx Super. Yes I know that if you look at the frames it shouldn’t be possible, but I swear to you I have tested this in training mode and it works! Honda takes 22 frames to recover from the far HK according to my frame data, so this might well explain it.

Liquid SRK’s at this tourney
TeamSpooky on USTREAM: Featuring players such as Sabin Arturo Sanchez, NerdJosh, Chris Hu, Min, Akumahokoru, and ZTB, we travel all over the world bringing…

Also if anyone wants to play me on XBL I’m up.
Just send me a PM on xbl TAG7191

http://shoryuken.com/f333/there-no-shortcut-perfection-dudley-indepth-matchup-discussion-day-4-e-honda-246471/#post9312518

Check out this thread. I don’t know where 3S. is now but his idea of making a thread dedicated to each matchup was good.

Yeah those threads are useful, but with there being so few Dudley players on these boards, those threads sadly end up dieing pretty quickly.

Quality over quantity :slight_smile: I suppose it’s good that those character specific threads keep it pretty tight and don’t get bloated with useless chit chat.

Sad that so many have given up on Duds, I’m still loving every moment. Finally my links are getting to the level where I can consistently land overhead and low combos to s.hk even in online matches without dropping em in every turn and overall it feels my game play has reached new heights this week, reached 6,2k BP / 3,1k PP last night yay! (yea yea, points are not the main point, but fun to be doing well with duds finally).

This is sadly the situation with most of Dudley’s matchups involving turtle characters…

The plight of a gentleman :frowning:

Against turtle characters that will just sit there and not press anything you need to just be bold and walk up throw.

I’m a Dudley user from the beginning of Super but I lack focus during matches,
I’ve tried using Dudley’s focus attack mid game and get others during their recovery but by the time I dash in they’ve already gone…
when I say gone i mean by the time I’ve dashed in after the hit Makoto has already neutral jumped and is about to hit me with axe kick
am I doing this wrong or is Dudley’s level 1 FA just that Bad?
if it is that bad… what are my other options, so far I’m only using FA’s defensively…

Yeah but it’s tough when they know a jab or short will utterly stop your closeup game

Dudley’s level 1 focus is ass. Don’t use it if you can help it. You’re at like -3 on hit. You won’t pin them down with it.

Then walk forward walk back st.fp. Or walk forward fwd.mk. Bait them to press that jab or short.

You can always try to use LP MGB from that awkward range to get in if they are in db mode. It takes sick reactions to do anything other than block that from just outside Dudley’s st.HP range

Hey social thread, how’s everyone doing? keeping it classy i hope? anyone in the Florida Panhandle area?

Anyone want an animated dudley avi like mine?
PM me your color choice (1-9 there are no alts in sf3), and the move you want Dudley doing(I dont have corkscrew Rolling thunder or his tea time winning pose)