Yang ... super technical yet underwhelming character?

EX is invincible against strike and projectile but not throw; it’s great in some situation, but obviously not something you can abuse (os throw and stuff, y’know).

Started playing with Yang recently. He definitely meets the fun criteria. How many invincibility frames do EX teleport and EX Up Kicks have? I have tried both on wakeup and sometimes I get hit right in the yellow frames. This feels like Rolento levels of free on wakeup to pressure.

You have a DP. You’re nowhere near as free on wakeup as Rolento.

As for never picking Ultra 1, that’s asinine. In most situations you’ll only ever get partial Ultra 2, in which case you may as well EX rollkick instead. Ultra 1 is only 8 frame startup, combos from launcher and rekka FADC, and always hits for full.

Ex srk is NOT the right one to use on wakeup; lk is.

Yang has one of the best wake ups in the game: great back dash, invincible dp, ex teleport, 3 frame light kick…

Also you should be picking U1 most of the time. U2 is better in some matchups as a punish tool.

U1 does more damage, has invincibility and waaaay better oki.

Look, we have different Yang philosophies and that’s fine

I like always having u2 in my back pocket and I like having something I can use nearly any round even if the damage it adds is minimal at times

I spent a lot of time using u1 and gradually found that I preferred having u2

You guys can use u1, that’s fine

Hey that’s fine and all, you can use W ultra for all I care or have a “no ultra” policy because “comeback mechanics are for scrubs”.

Doesn’t mean we can’t discuss or advise newer players to pick u1 in most matchups.

I don’t understand your point that you can use it nearly any round, because baring matchup specific punishes you land it just as frequently as u1. At this point you’re just passing out on free damage.

Because it juggles off of everything so I can often get a bit more damage from a combo using it, leading to an extra bit of damage any round I take enough damage to get ultra.

I wish I fought all these opponents you guys fight where you get all these opportunities to land ultra 1 (I can FADC into full animation u2 after all), but if I’m gonna FADC rekkas into an ultra I’d like to not stress the link and if I’m gonna bother using launcher after an FADC it’s gonna be for a reset or corner push.

Saying I’m better off using ex dp when I can save bar and get a hard knockdown and great corner push with my non animation ultra off of so many different types of juggles also strikes me as fairly asinine

On my side of things, YOU guys are passing up free damage because u1 only combos after specific things and I like to play a more loose and open style where I use all my tools rather than confining myself to avenues of max damage and forgoing having an antifireball, easily juggled or anti air traded into, dp fadcable, comboable after a great target combo and palms ultra

I see where you guys are coming from, but I’m baffled that where I’m coming from is going over your heads to the point you gotta take weak jabs at me

The only juggle I’ll give you is dp fadc. The other ones are simply not optimal uses, like target combo or palm combo. And that one scenario doesn’t make up for anti air ultra, reversal ultra, cl.mk and ch.mp frame traps imo.

But come on, u2 post knockdown is horrible. Previously you could get unblockables off it, but now you’re lucky if you can get a safe jump on chars with slow reversals. U1 offers you crossup/nocrossup/meaty cmd grab setups.

Honestly to me that’s what tips the scale largely in u1 favor. If it wasn’t for that and the invincibility frames I’d also use u2.

Are you on XBL/in L.A.?

I think if you played me you’d understand

There are definitely benefits to having u1 and u2 may not be optimal damage wise, but it’s the toolset I prefer having and using

I’ve been playing him for years now, this isn’t just something I’m saying willy-nilly. I spend a lot of time playing and watching and learning about these games, u2 is just my preference.

Don’t live in the US I’m afraid

Why the hell would Yang want a hard knockdown in most cases? Other than throw, sweep or Ultra 1, Yang’s Oki is based around normal rise vs quick rise. So, yes, in cases where you’d get partial U2, you are better off using EX rollkick, to give you the techable knockdown and force the opponent to choose. You’re Yang. You build meter as fast as Yun does.

A different philosophy is not necessarily a correct philosophy. Rekka FADC ultra 1 is damn near impossible to drop if you apply a bit of controlled mashing. If you’re not comfortable, you can just launch them first then dash ultra.

man you’re unpleasant

Like damn I just have no interest in having a conversation with you at all

Have fun being you

Truth hurts. Suck it up. Have fun continuing to misrepresent this character.

That legitimately made me laugh out loud

What a pompous little shit you are

Have fun being mediocre and srk-forums as fuck and being completely oblivious to it

This place has left a bad taste in my mouth

ya guys know that yang’s style of play and the usage of U1 and U2 is character specific right?

stop talking like theres a certain way to play yang.
yang has a lot of moves and certainly has a huge variety of options.

U1 for the vast majority of matchups, U2 for a select few. While U2 has its uses, it’s just an inferior ultra in many cases. In most cases you can get away with U1 for any matchup. U2 just doesn’t do enough damage with non-cinematic and the oki after it is horrible.

I saw a line that says ‘how often do you land u1 in the heat of the moment’, and I have to say ‘All the time’ (or, 90% of the time since I haven’t been playing as much). While the link is tight for new players, once you get accustomed to it the link is not a problem. The difficulty of getting u1 after fadc should never be a factor when deciding which ultra to use (unless your execution is just that weak).

I can’t seem to get dash into ultra down from the left side. Super hard.

Also, guys, stop fighting. :confused: