X-Men: Children of the Atom thread

that reminds me i need to work on (well what i know anyway) the Omega red section of the wiki when i get a chance…

Other than the basics mentioned in the wiki, does anyone have in-depth strategies with Iceman? The wiki mentions Iceman’s superiority over Sentinel, but that seems to be my worst match up. I understand Iceman’s amazing control of space, but it is hard for me to get in close. I use turtle tactics and they aren’t working for me.

Also, I am thinking of nabbing a jap saturn with jap XMCOTA for casual use at my local comic shop. I know the saturn version sucks, but apparently the jap version is better because of more frames of animation. Is it a worthy investment or should I just nab the arcade and a supergun?

Iceman’s dash can go under Sent’s standing spit (HP), and if you “slide” (dash crouching anything but RH) you’ll go under his MP Rocket Punch too (simply dashing can, but sliding would be safer).

When going airborne use sj.down+HP xx sj.HK (or sj.down+HK) if he’s under you. The only worry here is if you end up jumping into an early RP, or if he jumps before you with his kick shenanigans.

Once you’re on him in the corner you can keep him pinned with slow chained normals (sj.LP or LK as early as possible, then slowing chain through the rest of it, holding down for HP and HK, this is an infinite if done right on standing Sent, as is jump forward down+HP, HK(or j.down+HK)). If you chain too quickly your SJ will take you higher, and Sent has a chance to escape, but since you have the high ground(air?) you’re in a better position.
Another way for Sent to escape is if you chain TOO slow, and he has a chance to throw you (on the ground especially), if you have meter you can tech-throw this, but that, or Sent jumping up and getting thrown in the air will get him out of the corner. If the holes in your offense are too big, you could also end up getting launched.

What’s Sent doing that’s giving you the most problems?

About Jap Saturn vs Supergun…even though both Japanese Saturn + Japanese COTA would be a little hard to find, they’re both probably cheaper. You could also get an American Saturn and an ST Key, COTA doesn’t use the RAM cart. The price of a CPS2 board isn’t all that much, but the Superguns themselves kinda are. The only thing really stopping me from getting a board + SG is the suicide battery stuff.

Thanks a lot for the info, JedahsMinistry! Should help me out a lot next time I play.

I found a JAP COTA for saturn on Ebay for a great price (20 bucks). I also found a JAP sega saturn for 60 dollars. This will save me money, but are there things I should be aware of in Saturn/arcade differences?

As for the suicide battery stuff, isn’t there a phoenix mod that gets rid of the battery?

In the American version, none of the speeds match the arcade. 2 seems too slow, and 3 is quicker but slowdown seems to hurt it. I haven’t gotten my hands on a Japanese version to pick it apart. Without an action replay/gameshark, I haven’t really gotten to test combos on the US version either.

I’d love to get an already phoenix’d board (or one with a “battery swap mount” mod), but so far no luck finding one for sale =/

yo guys i just got into this game (i know like 13 years late lol), and im loving it lots. I suually play SNK games, but this is one capcom game i really love. If anyone wants to play on kaillera any time hit me up on aim: nakdSnake or look for sirPsycho on godweapon, anti3d, or daroms, MORE PEOPLE NEED TO PLAY THISS

I shot a PM to Dracula, but my offer is totally available to Psycho and Jedah - I am definitely up for some XMCOTA action on Kaillera. Contact me through AIM or PM to make a date and time and I will surely be there.

We had our first tournament (extremely scrubbish), and the results were

1. omega red
  2. psylocke
  3. spiral

Keep in mind 1/2 the players didn’t know the moves, but it was a lot of fun and we have footage. I’ll see if I can get it hosted so everyone can watch and laugh :slight_smile:

Cool. Upload it somewhere and get me the link.

Excellence. If you need help with hosting let me know.

Bump.

Do level 3 X-Supers take out all of your meter, or is it random for every character? Sometimes I see it fully depleted sometimes I don’t.

Depends on the character, and the situation. Omega Red for instance gets (pretty much) depleted after a super, but if it kills, it only goes down to orange.
Cyclops’ Super OB brings it down to blue, only one move away from orange. Mega OB always drains down almost fully (even if it kills).
Psylocke only uses half (down to orange) if she does one psi-thrust, Sentinel only uses half if he fires one Plasma Storm instead of all 3.

Iapetus has asked me to test the differences of the arcade version and the jap saturn version. Since I had nothing better to do tonight I said sure. Maybe someone will put this in the wiki, someone thats not as lazy as myself.

The differences ive found between the two versions is very minor. On the jap saturn version the colors are not as bright and the sound is not as crisp. Plus there is some loading time. These differences are minor and they don’t disrupt from the gameplay. There are no visable slowdowns in the jap saturn version that I am aware of. Compare to the other ports of COTA the jap saturn version is the superior port, the best one. Is it 100% arcade perfect. No but what do you expect from a sega saturn game. On a arcade perfect scale of 1 - 100 the saturn version is at 88. The minor color and sound differences and the load times are kind of annoying if your use to the arcade version. But its either this or spending $300 - $500 on a super gun then hunting down a CPS-II board of COTA. Then there is the whole suicide battery issue.

So if you want a cheap, almost arcade perfect version of COTA, the jap saturn version is the way to go. Just remember to stay away from the playstation version at all cost.

p.s. Probably the reson why the jap saturn version is better then the U.S. saturn and playstation version is that the jap saturn conversion was done by Capcom themselves while the U.S. saturn and playstation version was done by Acclaim.

bump for the hope of more interest

This game has some stupid infinites for some charas like Wolvie and Iceman(Dashing Jab till they die) but if you play it non-seriously it’s still the shit.

yeah there are a few silly ones but most aren’t all that easy imo. It’s still a great game i wish more people would play.

I agree, this game is a good one, or at least I think so :stuck_out_tongue:

And although there are some silly infinites, I think most of the game is good… Too bad samu is so weak… if he had even one low move i could beast with him even more so than i normally do…

True you beast on most people with Sam. My careless rush downs get owned by low attacks. If anyone is interested i have a TON of replays for mame. Most of it is Battousai, Stafos, and I playing. Most of it is entertaining at least.

btw Zass, did you ever get those videos uploaded?

I’d love to see these replays. Hit me up on AIM peeze.

Also, I know it would be a ton of work, but it would be in our best interest to encodes these high-level replays to youtube so the game gets more exposure. A lot of people are playing this game now because of DarkAddicts’ contribution a few years back in ComboVideos.com. With more vids may come more players.

Let’s try to keep this ball rollin’.

I’ll upload them for ya here soon.