WTF is with Owl's Hunt?

What the heck is up with the hitbox on this thing? There are times when I use it perfectly and it lands right in front of the guy. Doesn’t even have to block it and proceeds to roll his face along the controller to punish. Does it just have really poor range?

Other discussion topics: When to use/how to use this thing.

It only hits in front of Ogre. If you land behind someone, it’ll wiff. Hit box seems to be mainly on the ground area too, can’t really use it as an anti air.

The main situations you want to use it in include -

• After a hit confirm into combo.
  • To punish someone throwing a fireball (although you’ve really got to know the range of the different versions of Owl’s Hunt, otherwise just use the EX version.)
  • In a block string (although if they block it Ogre is vulnerable).

Try and train yourself to not use it raw, just because if you wiff it or the opponent blocks, you’re screwed. I still will throw it out raw once in a while if I get a good read just because it’ll take someone by surprise, but once people become more familiar with the matchup and will start looking for it, it won’t be near as effective.

You can also use it as a full screen tag punish.

Outside of combos though I’m relying on the EX to punish on reaction; the spacing on the other 3 is just too iffy

anyone tried to use it to catch opponent’s jump recovery frame?? it should work theoretically

You can guard instantly once you hit the ground unless you did an attack, and if they’re in range to do a jump attack you’ve probably got better tools or other things to worry about

Things I have learned after going Kazuya/Ogre in around 1300 bp range(Yeah it’s low but what are you going to do about it. I’m not good).

You can catch a lot of people with it after a blocked snake bite chain. Even though it’s a tiny bit negative(-3) people will ALWAYS try to do something. If they read it you get a fist up your butt though.

You can catch SOME people with a blocked jab strong strong chain(demon slayer) and using it after. I know it’s gimmicks but it’s kinda funny, seeing as how that chain is basically safe anyway(-1)

[S]If they block or get hit by a crouch forward, dash cancel up and throw or use Owl hunt for a not-so-50/50 that I’m not sure if you can still hit people that try to grab. Maybe if you Owl hunt ASAP you get out of dash.[/S] I don’t know if this works. I’ll test it sometime if I remember.

I like him. He’s a crazy character. Just having a tough time with setups, especially after snake bite, hunting hawk s.fierce xx indigo punch. SO MUCH SYNERGY WITH EVERYBODY.

Edit: After a bit of theorycrafting, his c.MK is 15 frames recovery(I don’t know if this changes if it’s blocked/hit) and his dash is 19 frames, so if they aren’t expecting it/have no reaction, it would certainly work.

Has anyone had ex owls hunt land behind? I was trying to punish ken’s fireballs with it last night, and I swear I did ex and it landed behind him. I dunno if it’s because ken moves forwards a tiny bit in the animation or something, but it was incredibly annoying.

I really overestimate H Owl’s distance.
I sometimes try to use it as an escape tool when my opponent is close, but I still land close enough behind them that I get punished hard.

Non-ex versions of owls hunt run naked outside of a string are super risky I’ve found. Be prepared to eat a juicy combo after it whiffs because it pretty much does 99% of the time. The only time I’ve used it is to cover distances where you may have to dash twice instead. I haven’t really dug down into it though so if and how much better it is than dashing twice remains to be seen for me. The scenario I’m thinking of is knockdowns after Indigo if I remember right. Anyway I’d say stay away from non ex OH to punish fireball. All I takes is them moving an inch and it whiffs unfortunately.

I’ve been using M Owl cross cancel into King Knees after Waning Moon & Super.
It lands at the perfect distance and allows pretty good damage.
I’m cautious with it though against DPing characters.

I also throw out random L Owl’s too when they’re far, just to fuck with my opponent.