Would you play Gill if he was balanced?

I have to confess something: I love playing Gill. Not because he is cheap, or broken, or retardedly overpowered. (Even if he is all these things.) I play him because I love his playstyle.

I sincerely hope Gill returns in a future SF game, in a non-broken form. He may not have the greatest design of the SF cast, but damn he is fun to play.

Would anyone else here try picking up Gill if he returned in a new game as a balanced, tournament legal character?

Not really, because Urien is pretty much that…not to mention a heck of a lot more fun to play.

this

yeah but gill is actually pretty diff as far as flavor and visual style and stuff.

his hair is luscious.
if he was in some non-3s game, sure i’d check him out. much cooler bad guy than boring as fuck stuff like seth. although i do think the way seth changes colors is neat.

Except for the fact that Urien is a charge character, and Gill is not. And their supers are completely different in design. Not to mention how the Burning/Freezing properties of Gill’s moves can affect gameplay. (Curiosity:has any done enough research to see how this affects Gill’s combo potential depending on which way he faces?)

That’s more a matter of taste. TBH, I’m not that fond of charge characters.

this might sound insulting, but for new players it’s highly probable that the reason they think he’s “fun to play” is because he’s busted, and they just don’t realize the connection. when you’re struggling to find the right pace of the game with regular characters, then play a character that’s way faster and stronger than everyone else it’s normal to think it seems more fun. it’s like bypassing the need to learn how to effectively maneuver a regular character because of the added speed and ease of use.

i mean, obviously a safe headbutt that does huge stun shouldn’t be a quarter circle move. his design was never supposed to fit within the limits of 2-player 3rd strike.

it’s possible that this doesn’t apply to you, but i thought i’d throw this out there.

I’m talking more about the little details. Gill has way more than just “motion-based moves” and “burning/freezing moves”. He has combos off normals that shouldn’t even combo to each other but they do, not to mention they’re all either relatively or completely safe. He has almost Hugo-level stamina and his normals are very quick. He has 100% stun combos on 3/4 of the cast that are easy as shit to do, or he does as much stun as Makoto doing a Double Fukiage on Alex(90-95%). Yes, their Supers are different…but Gill’s either do 60-100% damage or they let him resurrect himself for full health that pushes back the opponent.

Fix all of these and you essentially get Urien.

Well alright, I’ll give you that. He’s still fun in his own way(and 3S charge characters feel the least like charge characters in any game).

Personally, Gill is my favorite character of pretty much any game. Obviously I can’t play him in serious games, but I enjoy playing him and I’d enjoy it even if he weren’t overpowered. To me it’s all a matter of style: I love Gill’s two sides, his intro, his taunt, etc. Urien just isn’t as cool for me.

If you still believe I play him only because he’s overpowered, check out my Gill Halloween costume: Gill Halloween

Would I really dress like that if my enjoyment came from a balance issue?

Gill should be unbanned. In Japan people use Gouki in ST tournaments and get beat

yup

With the recent gods in Third Strike Japanese scene, Gill players would lose pretty quick. So, should we allow Gill?