Wolverine Match-Ups Thread

Tips on stopping Wesker’s gunspam+tele?

what about neutral Drill Claw. If you dont press any direction button the drill claw will automatically track your opp. This might help, it was the only thing that popped into my head

Is that so? I never knew about the tracking thing, I just assumed its horizontal by default.

Actually it is. IDK how I got it into my head that it would auto correct but I was wrong, very wrong

What are the bad matchups for Wolverine?

lightning legs
runaway projectile doods in general (doom, dorm, pheonix; not deadpool though)

I’m having trouble with morrigan’s j.h (the drill kinda move) with chunli’s lightning legs assist keeping me on lockdown.Any tips?

Im still trying to get around lightning legs. It will even stop cross up Slashes, maybe we need to jump over her and go for a cross up with j:s: or jump:uf: and do a :d:Drill Claw right on her pretty little dome piece.
IDK about morrigan, if shes jumping in with that drill and you cant get out of the way, I wouldnt try to out prioritize it, just block.

Chun seems to be a hell of a problem for me as well. Legs, they be everywhere…

I’ll sit down in the lab and see if I can figure some things out.

I’m having trouble with Magneto + Dante Jam Session keep away with Wolv / Akuma / Sent. Anyone have any suggestions for the vs Magneto matchup?

Wesker isn’t safe with teleport so Block the gunshot and if u think teleports coming then spam cr.l if he does the air one I would back of usually jump up back or react and air throw. He has a slight delay to where he can’t do moves. I’ve also gotten she hulked level three’d using wesker teleport before I even reapeared

Honestly Mags best bet against wolverine is his keep away antics plus assists, and wolverines best bet is keeping in his face, ino right? sounds kinda like im back tracking but there are tricks to get around it.

Mags keep away game consists of mag distruptors to keep you out and using the assists ( in this case lets use dante’s jam sessions and akuma’s tatsu ) you guys can obviously apply those assists and see in your mind where they would be used effectively. Mags light disruptor comes out pretty fast, deals a decent amount of block stun, and leaves him relitively safe if he hits/makes you block it. the trick is to not always spam zerk slashes in hopes you get away from them, or even super jumping around them. you have jump over one disruptor and assuming your at least 3/4 away you can B.slash (heavy) right into him. you will go through the assists easly since they have a fast foward momentum and you wil always nail mags face first. NEVER NEVER call your assists when you do this, specially drones, sent will get hit before you can smack magnus. From there you can cancel into speed super and go to town.

getting this right completely discrourages them from doing it too much.

If you want to get even more cheeky, you can wait for the assists, (akuma is vulnarable from dive kicks and you can hit dante out of jam session with St.C if you far enough away) bait him to try to Em disruptor, then drop the combo on the assist and cancel into B.Slash agiain

if spam disruptors are your problem previous post got it right with normal jump you can also df M (slide) under one or two to get close

double post…

I tried normal jump to H slash this weekend, and it seemed to work pretty well. Even just normal jump spam over the disruptahs is sufficient. This matchup def isn’t as bad as it was before, thanks!

FUCKING ZEROOO, how do i beat that j. down+heavy spamming asshole!!! argagdshasdkljghas

Isn’t the point of the gunshot to make the teleport safe? I handle that match by not blocking gunshots. Avoid them any way i can.

No he’s still not safe consider gunshot a big ass sign that says I very well might teleport. He needs an assist to make him safe. Also wesker cannot block after jump gun or sj gun until he hits the ground unless he cancels it with teleport.

I’m glad I play Wesker because it makes it a lot easier to fight him. Teleports without the use of an assist are always RISKY. Good Weskers dont teleport without calling assist first unless they know they can safely close the gap. A lot of the random teleport or just regular gun shot teleport stuff you see working on videos wont work when people break down his teleport game to a science. It’s unsafe without assist period. If Wesker hits you after teleporting without calling an assist that wasn’t a legit mix up. You just got mind fucked out of something you could have done something about.

An example is like you can be standing against Wesker. If Wesker shoots his gun and it HITS you you can mash on c.L and if he does a L teleport towards you you can hit him before he hits you. Meaning standing shot to L teleport is unsafe on hit without assist. The H overhead teleport is harder to deal with since it quickly gives him a left right and high low mix up but you can also deal with that by walking forward and then jumping forward past it when you see Wesker dissapear. If he appears in front of you you can air throw him and most of the time if he’s close enough he’ll end up behind you but at least you cleared the teleport and screwed up his spacing for another.

Anytime you see Wesker do the ground forward (L) teleport just start pressing buttons or jump forward away. There’s a solid recovery period when he reappears where he can be hit by anything. He’s only invincible for a very small frame of time when he dissapears. Once he even begins to reappear you can start hitting him with shit as long as he’s in range. If he’s outside of range that’s fine because he wont be able to do anything to you either. For Wesker’s that abuse the ground forward teleport you can just stand far enough away so that if they teleport after the gun you can just start swinging at them and hit them. Even if the gun hits you as long as they didn’t call an assist you’re free to blow them up.

In general though the best thing to do is just keep messing with their spacing and do everything you can to get NEAR Wesker. DONT TURTLE Wesker. That’s what he wants. His teleports are easier to set up when you run from him. Since they can mix it up with the overhead teleport just walk forward at Weskers that you know are going to teleport to try to get in. Wesker should be using wave dashes to get in and not teleports but of course scrubby Weskers think they can get away with just random unassisted ports followed with gun. If you’re not sure which teleport is coming and feel one is coming just start walking forward towards Wesker and then crouch to get under the gun and jump forward once you see the teleport (that doesn’t apply to Wolvie because he’s too short even WHILE STANDING for the gun to hit him any way). Wesker doesn’t want you to be close to him because once you get close to him his teleports basically dont work anymore. They dont track you so if he does a teleport while you’re close to him he’ll end up far away from you and have to regain positioning to get in again.

**For specific Wolverine stuff. Remember that Wolverine is so damned short when he’s standing that he doesn’t even need to crouch to get under a standing gun shot. **I main X23 and even she is too tall when standing to not get hit by the gun. Luckily her wave dash is the fastest in the game and she becomes super small so I can just wave dash near him all day. Wolverine gets it so good he’s just too small period. Most of the cast can crouch under the standing gun as well but crouching buys up time you need to rushdown and screw up the spacing of the teleport. You dont wanna be sitting against Wesker because you’re basically giving him a mix up.

Dont be afraid to just run after Wesker. The only thing he’s going to scare you with is his poking game and you definitely have footsies for that also. If he wants to teleport without assists that’s fine cuz your wave dash is gonna run under the gun any way. There’s definitely a lag time when he shoots the gun before he teleports so you can do a couple wave dashes up and s.L him into combo before he even teleports. Remember the closer you are to Wesker the less useful his teleport is for mix up and the easier it is to stop him from doing it. Even if he does a L teleport as you get close and end up far behind him that’s fine. Just keep running after him. As long as you keep going near him the teleports wont do him any good without an assist.

A smart Wesker that doesn’t teleport without calling assists is harder to deal with but you just have to take into account what he’s going to do. Basically just remember that most Wesker teams usually have one main projectile assist they are using to cover their teleport. Once they use that assist and then teleport there’s a frame of time where they can’t use that assist again until the OK message comes up. Use that time to get in and make an offense and then when the OK message comes up assume that any gun shot they fire on the ground will be covered by an assist to give you a better gameplan of how to approach. Also assume that they will try to make their teleport mix up quicker by just doing a naked teleport after calling the assist first. Expect out of nowhere teleports with assists backing them up once the assist is OK. Being a Wolvie player you should know about that strategy any way.

Last thing to remember is that wave dashes have a property that track where the opponent is going. Use that to keep up with Wesker when he teleports especially if he does so without an assist. If you think he’s going for the overhead teleport just make sure you jump forward to clear it after he dissapears or mix him up by jumping backwards so you’ll end up behind him but close enough to him to air forward throw him.

Hi, I’m having some problems with playing some match-ups against my friends. They’re not the greatest players ever, but unfortunately, I’m a lot worse :(. I’ll just mention the two who I’m currently having the biggest problems dealing with - Amaterasu and Tron shame.

With Amaterasu, I’m getting caught with/struggling with her grabs and her H spam. My friend just mashes the hell out of it, but sometimes stops short (so I can’t take advantage of the delay after the 5 hit combo and launch) and then calls in Tron (Gustaff Fire assist) which catches me/seemingly prevents me from following her up with any combo. I’m trying Dive-kicking and Drill Claw, but I’m not too hot at landing those, most of the time they are blocked or missed. I did figure out that I can get a little damage by doing Berserker Slash when she does her Magic Vine if I get the spacing right, but I don’t know how to follow it up.

I’ve tried using more normals to poke and try to hit confirm, but Wolvie’s normals aren’t as fast as Ammy’s and more often than not I get caught. Is there anything I could do after a break-away? Not that I manage to get those very often - throws seem to be heavily in her favour due to being able to mash H and the fact that it propels her forward and into perfect throw range.

With Tron, apart from her nasty assist, I’m getting beaten by a simple combo. All he does is jump in to close the distance, then Bonne Mixer followed by Bandit Boulder with me usually trapped in the corner and struggling to get out. I’m guessing I need to be push-blocking and then maybe doing a slide with assist. Or maybe I could push-block and then try a Dive-kick? Am I right in thinking I should be push-blocking the mixer and then going for it? My friend seems to be able to link those two moves together really quickly and there’s seems to be little time to get in between and do anything. But even after I push-block, he gets right back in my face. Perhaps I’m just not fast enough in taking advantage/following up the situation.

I’d be really happy if I knew the theory of how to beat them, even if I may not currently have the timing/skills to do it. Again, I am very low-tier when it comes to Marvel, so even if you think it’s basic, please mention it as I’ll probably overlook it unless my attention is drawn to it. Appreciate any feedback and help guys.