WiiWare

i apologize in advance if this thread doesn’t seem to belong in here. i was just wondering if anyone here has tried out any of the downloadable ‘wii ware’ titles available on the wii? i’m intrigued by lost winds and a few others on there and would love to hear some feedback about gameplay.

Pretty much go get Mega Man 9, Tetris Party and Dr. Mario and you should be fine. I’d suggest going to YouTube and watching games you may be interested in before putting money down on it. Hopefully you’ll find what you’re looking for.

World of Goo is absolutely worth the price of admission. A pleasure to play and it has a killer soundtrack to boot.

LostWinds is completely gorgeous as well as fun and original, but it’s just way too brief to justify spending 1000 points on it. Someone else bought it for me though so it was totally worth it.

if you like shumups gyrostarr is pretty badass and art style orbient is my current addiction.

Bomberman on the wiiware is awesomesauce. 8 player madness with 4 gamecube controllers and 4 wiimotes.

I think the games are cool. But it is a bit expensive. Because it doesn’t cost so much to develop.

Hows the Final Fantasy rpg?

bomberman look dope!

wiiware list of games

There are some Wii Ware games I can advocate for as better than most of the regular $50 wii games. They aren’t as large scale as the games you have to go to a store to buy so they’re cheaper ($10-$15 isn’t expensive, compared to games you’d buy for any of the 3rd generation games on Wii, 360, PS3, etc). But they’re still pretty genious. World of Goo is pretty amazing and was only created by 2 people. It’s not as long as most games, but it’s high quality gameplay and innovation is what matters the most IMO. I can’t wait for Cavestory to come out though :s. Really should go try some of them out.

get world of goo, it’s one of my favorite games

Megaman 9: Rage fest
Onslaught: Wii FPS fun (I don’t mind the fact that it’s a FPS using the remote. I liked Red Steel.)
Final Fantasy Tactics: Crystal Defenders R1: Can’t wait for R2
Bomberman Blast: Bomberman

Wiiware and the VC is keeping the on top for me…

Man ever since SFIV came out the only thing that keeps my wii from rotting is the great WiiWare stuff and the VC of course. My favorite WiiWare titles in no particular order - World of Goo, Gradius Rebirth, Tetris Party, and that new Samurai Toaster game is a ton of fun too. As a big time retro gamer I would also mention Bubble Bobble Plus!, Rainbow Islands the Towering Adventure, New Adventure Island. I’ve got all of those games and they are all worth it if you have an old-school flair.

Uh… that’s a pretty bad wii pun, sorry about that.

Contra Rebirth is infuriating but fun. I was sent into a fury by it having infinite continues, mid level checkpoints, normal enemies taking multiple shots, way too much shit being on the screen that doesn’t do anything (does everything have to explode? Apparently yes) and jumping that feels very slightly off. It’s fun because, despite all that, it’s Contra. Difficult platforming action with tongue-in-cheek humor various badassery and giant robot ninjas riding upside down on missiles that you shoot at from a moving truck.

I loved World of Goo and the bit.trip series.

I’ve found that I’ve actually bought more games this part year from wiiware than I have normal games for the wii.
A lot of them are crap, so you have to read reviews online, but that’s easy enough.

The new excitebike wiiware game is fun, but single player is over pretty quick and multiplayer is online only. I think it was worth $10 though

Lost Winds and it’s sequel are as good as any platformer on any console right now. Megaman 9 is retro as shit but it’s fucking Megaman, so get to it. World of Goo is great.

Some remake retro games improve on old shit, some just leave them the way they were, making you wonder why you dropped ten dollars on a NES game. Excite Bike is one of those games.

Nyx Quest is like a colorless, soulless, boring version of Lost Winds. Don’t do it.

Toki Tori has tons of gameplay and gets crazy difficult towards the end, and Bomberman is the best iteration of Bomberman on any console ever.

That was the only demo of the 4 released demos I didn’t play :rofl: glad I lucked out and missed playing a soulless game

Agreed on the bomberman, megaman, and world of goo. Gotta throw in dr mario and tetris in there too

This.

If you’re at all a fan of games that play heavily off of music (Rez and Lumines are examples that readily come to mind) then Bit.Trip is a must. While Trip / Core / Void all play differently (as far as I understand) they boil down to rhythm / music centric games that are a lot of fun despite their simple appearances.

With a demo now available, I can’t recommend enough that people at least try the demo of Bit.Trip Beat.