Why you should play Persona 4 Arena:

With the upcoming release of the game, I feel some people might be on the fence with picking up P4A.

Here are a list of reasons you should play Persona 4 Arena.

It’s reasonably balanced.
Persona 4 Arena exhibits I think, the first time in any (first new) Arc Systems release where every character is viable competitively. Straight up. Every character is currently represented in SBO, the worst two characters can win tournaments independent of those flukes.

It’s easy to pick up.
Persona 4 Arena has some of the simplest input mechanics of any fighting game released in recent memory. Try not to take this as dumbed down, there are hard combos, there’s things that require tight execution to nail. Much of the input difficulty comes from heat of the moment stuff. However, to simply put the game in and enjoy yourself and start to learn matchups, the input system is accommodating towards simply playing the game and not sitting in training mode learning a 40 second long combo.

It’s complex for all the right reasons.
All of the system mechanics are useful. None of them are overpowering. Mastering the system and your character is important.

It doesn’t pull any punches.
This game has REAL anti-airs, unlike Blazblue. If you jump and mess up, you are going to eat real damage. Getting cornered and knocked down means something, so much that people sacrifice their life bar to tech out of the corner in Yu combos. There’s high mobility. The the only comeback mechanic requires you to actually start winning to use it properly. Not only that, there’s a high amount of counter-play where a good player can deny a worse player the ability to even let the comeback mechanic activate at all. There’s actually a lot of interesting things that go on with awakening mode. The damage is high and the combos are fast. This game takes a lot of the good mechanics of Guilty Gear and takes what little is good about Blazblue and splices them together with the best parts of Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure (which in turn has roots in King of Fighers)… It’s an amalgamation of what’s worked well in the past with some other new stuff thrown in.

It’s an Arc Systems game.
That means a training mode that’s good, solid netcode and plenty of other goodies. Every Arc Systems console release has set the quality bar higher and higher, and are often the most feature complete games you can purchase.

So buy P4A and play it. It’ll be good, I promise*

*(If you live in America or Japan. If you’re in Europe, I’m sorry).

**(I don’t work for Atlus or Arc Systems or Aksys games. I swear).

***(Buy the game).

****(Please)?

Agreed. Koogy posted up a small brief guide online for people that might feel overwhelmed.

It’s a very QUICK TL;DR of an overview of what people can expect coming from other fighters.

More here:
http://www.brokentier.com/blogs/news/6324820-persona-4-arena-simple-character-guide

After watching a few matches it does look pretty good, maybe I will have more fun with this game than I did BB.

I liked BB so I’m going to pick this up

And then drop it in a few months once it dies like every other anime game

It dies simply -because- everyone drops it. If you truly like the game then why quit?

Looks fun but doubt I’ll play it half as much as I play UMVC3 or Skullgirls. Unlike Blazblue it doesn’t look like a snorefest and more akin to the speed I remember Guilty Gear playing at. I’ll just find some character I like and press buttons.

You should drop Skullgirls for this game DJ. #real talk

Real talk, don’t say crap like that.

gomen ne.

Or…play both? Funny when we have choices .Both games have different appeals (not joining in the “real talk” meme going on)

If Skullgirls can survive, this will. And Skullgirls is kind of “dead” too. This game has a big franchise backing it. Most of the other anime fighters don’t have that luxury or treatment. They’re fresh IPs.

I personally think this one will stick around for a lot longer because it attracts players like me to it from the RPG/anime.

I’ll get it because Johnny Yong Bosch is voicing the protagonist…

who?

mostly pretty good but

what blazblue are you playing, the head invuln anti airs in that are strong as fuck and usually lead into pressure on block

also, i would mention that the way persona attacks are allows for different space control and pressure strings that are even different from how characters like eddie/carl/lieselotte work
and maybe add something about how the character moveset designs are exciting(since someone unfamiliar with arcsys games may not be aware of their amazing diversity, although charas in this game are a bit more homogeneous than gg/bb imo)

this is very much a matter of local scenes. whether or not local “capcom players” dink around for a few months and then stop, there are often still dedicated gg/bb/mb/whatever players who still go to healthy, consistent meetups and tourneys. whether or not something really takes off on a regional/national scale, if you still have enough good people to play with, you still have good people to play with.

also, not getting 200+ players at every regional=/=dead

Nothing wrong with that at all. :slight_smile:

IMO, OP should add that almost everybody has a, mind you, a unique reversal, (IIRC, Labyrs doesn’t have a reversal?) which is just great if you ask me.

This man…he knows…

Like I said before, it’s time for the Bosch to dominate another FG.

I’m still on the fence, but that’s quite a good list. I think both the visuals and audio of the game are too… busy… but the gameplay itself looks solid, so seems worth checking out.

Though I imagine since it’s an Arc System Works game, there’ll be a bunch of DLC and maybe a revision or two. It seems inevitable with the low initial character count.

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. The only revision they did was quite light, especially compared to BB/GG revisions, and because the game is contract work or whatever instead of something arcsys owns themselves, they may not actually have much of a time window to make any revisions, so that all depends on Atlus.

If I understand corectly, the game haven’t been released yet.
So, how do you know already that is well balanced, easy to pick up, complex, etc ?

Also, I don’t like when people come with “you should play/buy game x…”. We had a thread like this when skullgirls came, and many people found it …distasteful. Oh, your nick is Cerebella…

Atus already stated that they want to start a fighting game franchise of persona, and that they want to keep working with ASW to do that, so the possibilities for more chars/revisions is still open; i wouldn’t be surprised if they add at least 1 or 2 characters on the course of this year and part of the other

the game has been released on arcades for some time, march 12 of this year to be precise