Why is Q so underrated?

And that trenchcoat is sooo last season!

Dude, Q’s look is timeless. I have no idea what you’re talking about. If I were a 7ft tall robot man I would want to where a trench coat and the hat. Better than Akuma who wears a rope for a belt like a hobo.

Or like Oro who wears a rope like a belt and is a hobo.

Becoming one of the greatest fighters in the world doesn’t pay the bills.

WTF, where is this thread going lol.

Urien’s garb isn’t too impressive either. If I could dress like anyone from 3S I’d dress like Dudley.

Why not Remy? His look is smexy. Maybe a little too feminine though.

Yeah but who’s gonna stop you if you don’t pay them? lol

:rofl: :lol:

Q is easy to lock down. Hugo has his instant 360/ 720 grabs. Q has nothing threatening, aside from a Super Art. He has powerful moves, but the power is almost negated entirely by the lack of speed, which is crucial in the heat of battle. He has limited mix-ups. His strongest offense is a delayed throw, and he’s too immobile to be a threat with his other attacks.

Jumping HK/ HP into tick LP/ LK, to C&DB is definitely a dangerous situation for the opponent, but they’ll find their way out by jumping pretty soon. Back+HP or low MP, into dash punch (after knocking them out of the air) might work alright, though…

By the way… which characters can’t you land an EX dash punch on, after a mid-screen HK C&DB? Ibuki and Oro, and Chun, I think, fly too far away after the grab. You have to use the LK or MK version? Or doesn’t it work at all?

You can land ex dash punch on everyone after mid-screen roundhouse c&db, but the timing is a little wonky for the super-light characters.

Q isn’t that bad, guys; he sucks, no doubt, but he doesn’t suck as bad as a few other characters in this game.

I agree with dave. Twelve and Sean are worse. Also, no one has the style of Q. So in terms of looking awesome, Q is top tier.

Also, the people I EX dash are the people I can’t double punch. The double punch does a little less damage, but builds meter instead of costing meter. The only people you cant double punch are Necro, Urien, Twelve, Q, Hugo, Gil, and Alex. I might have forgotten one, but I think thats it.

Hugo’s worse too. Believe it.

One of the last evolutions in 3S play was in the low tier arena, away from Hugo and toward Q and 12. Think about it: when was the last time you saw or heard of a Hugo doing well in a tournament? What about a Q or a 12?

Top 8 at the last FFA ranbat, I guess.

Adolfo doesn’t count. He’s magic.

I agree with Dave in ways, but in Japan I have seen some AMAZING Hugos. And a lot more people play Hugo than I thought. In fact I would say hes the most commonly played bottem tier character out here. But ultimately, we are talking about Hugo sliding one slot above, or below Q. I know its not very fun, but I would even give Q and Hugo a tie.

I would say Hugo’s better than Q just because Hugo doesn’t have any match-up that’s as bad as Q VS Yun/Q VS Makoto. Even shit like Q VS Oro, and Q VS Yang is really annoying. Watch SBO4 and look at how often Hayao had to bail Kuroda out. Hugo may have a lot of issues, but he’s always got comeback potential with gigas and a well timed parry. Once Q gets behind, there’s not much he can do.

It’s true that Q has the worst single matchup in the game and that he has a bunch of other very bad matchups, but overall he has more decent matchups than Hugo does. He has a couple 2-8 matchups, like 5 or 6 3-7 matchups, like 5 4-6 matchups, a few where he goes even, and a couple where he wins. By contrast, Hugo has a few 2-8 matchups, probably 8 or 9 3-7 matchups, 5 or 6 4-6 matchups, 1 or 2 even matchups, and one where he wins. Basically that’s all to say that while Q has a harder time than Hugo does in some cases, overall he’s the more playable character.

I started playing Oro just to have something for Makoto players. I’ve never done better than 3 - 5 vs the Makoto’s at the local arcade.

A lazy Q players take on the bastard…

Don’t look at Q as a bad character to use, rather look at him as a device to test your own ability to be a good 3S player. Where there’s a will there’s a way if you want to be a noted Q player you gotta have EXTREMELY QUICK reflexes, flawless execution and know how to frusturate your opponent to a degree. The last part I think is key especially with Q’s defense. We all know his limitations but his superior defense is just begging for someone, a real genius in their own on defense to pair up with him and make people hate they have to fight you.

This is why I think Kuroda’s Q is so well known and loved. He’s damn near pyschic with his blocks and techs. People hate fighting a Q that just sits and blocks everything. He’s also extremely good at making people fight at HIS pace. That’s the beauty of having fantastic defense, people come in with a flurry of attacks and you block all of them and punish where you can, then you have that player slowing down and you’re making them think and work the way you want them to. You see it all the time in videos of Kuroda. Opponents bobbing back and forth because they’re unsure of just how to approach this Q crouched in the corner because there’s a good chance they’ll end up eating a SA1 if they slip up.

Great skill turns into frusturation against that kind of stuff. The great thing about Q is, if you make a mistake in your defense, it’s okay. Make several? Still okay because all those things your opponent does to you, you can take off in one good strike but you just have to be patient and watch for the moment. Whereas on the offense the best players are looking at every option and going with their best bet to bust you, as the best player on defense, you’ve got to see every option and sit back and wait to see what’s coming and be prepared to deal with it. Have a way out. It’s harder to have a contingency plan than to be the aggressor making the moves. And I’m talking just one attack, in a second or two worth of play time in one round. Over time, you can tire yourself out mentally trying to stay on edge and play the perfect barrier against your opponent.

Happens to me all the time. Playing a Ken player and he throws out that crouching fierce kick that I can punish with an sa1 but he catches me sleeping and I do nothing after the block, or my thinking is too narrow and I’m focusing on what else could happen in that moment instead of staying sharp and seeing everything.

It’s hard, in fact I still can’t believe how hard it is to play Q like that. I’m not there and I doubt I ever do get there because of the utter lack of competition in my area but I’ll keep working on it as I can. Can’t tech worth a damn on kaillera though lol. I also like Q because all your tools aren’t handed to you on some gold plate and then you expect to win with a little work. Q requires some serious thinking and patience of a turtle combined with razor sharp responses to an opponent’s moves.

I know I’m right, like I said…just takes that one person that’s the end all in defensive play to find this elusive golden fleece of Q. I may not be that one but like I always say when people compliment me on my Q…“Still workin’ on it…”

That’s the problem with fighting Makoto/Yun though. You can’t safely defend their shit.