Which normal is best for combo starters? (beginners)

Which normal is best for combo starters, assuming that you are close to your opponent? (for beginners)

And what are some safe blocks strings? I only know target combo 2 -> run

Close to the opponent and he isnt blocking? Then use cl HK, it leads to a many things. It only hits standing opponents though, so catch crouching opponents with close MP or close MK.

My heart sinks every time that roundhouse flops over someone’s head

Blockstrings:

I believe close HP, or TC, into LP hozanto a true blockstring.

Crouch jabs chain together, use that and mix it up with tick throws or counter hit setups.

Close MK -> crouch LK
Crouch LP -> crouch LK

It’s hard to link after that, still getting used to it

Thanks, but it’s hard to link standing MP after cr.lp/cr.lp/cl.mk

Does true blockstring mean it’s safe on block?

I guess I should keep playing Ryu and improve my understanding and feel for the normals. Thanks for your input though, I’ll keep this at the back of my head until the time comes to learn Bushin-style :slight_smile:

No, first off a “blockstring” is a sequence of attacks that are blocked. A blockstring is “true” if it locks your opponent into blocking and disallows them to interrupt your sequence of attacks.

Far MP xx LP Hozanto for example, is not a true blockstring, because the far MP has too little blockstun, an opponent can mash DP after blocking it, and he will hit you before the Hozanto can become active.

You seem to have problems with links. One of the most important tools with links is patience. Unlike chains, in which you only need to wait for the attack to connect, links require you to wait out the whole recovery. When you are practising links, try to have up a video of that link so you can see the timing and then immediately copy that in-game.

Most of the time links are missed because buttons are hit too early.

Yeah, mainly practise cr LK -> far MP, that’s probably Guys most important link.

Playing Ryu is great, not only for improving zone control, but because it trains you to link together the most damaging normals and keep combos simple, he can kill most of the cast with 3 or 4 combos.