What's the current status of Skullgirls on 360?

Well, honestly, Skullgirls on console is dead. I hate to say it but it is. Unless you add people via SRK you won’t be playing anyone online. I’m hoping the steam release can revitalize the series to a new high. Maybe it’ll be like Melty Blood. I actually thought a Steam release would’ve been better to begin with. I mean, EVERYONE has a computer. I think if they would’ve released via Steam first this game would be more successful. 

Well the PS3 version is supposed to be cross-compatible with PC right? <br><br>But yeah, I think the game will do pretty well on steam, assuming it’s well optimized.<br>

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/74811/Rodbow15">Rodbow15</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>Well, honestly, Skullgirls on console is dead. I hate to say it but it is. Unless you add people via SRK you won’t be playing anyone online. I’m hoping the steam release can revitalize the series to a new high. Maybe it’ll be like Melty Blood. I actually thought a Steam release would’ve been better to begin with. I mean, EVERYONE has a computer. I think if they would’ve released via Steam first this game would be more successful. </div>
</blockquote>

not every computer can run steam though. my laptop barely runs anything unless its 10+ years old.<br>

The thing about generalization is that its normally wrong . MOST people have a computer. SOME of those can actually handle games. Consoles are greater in number than fully capable gaming rigs.

I never trust the PC platform to bring interested fighting game players to my doorstep. People just don’t see it as a place where players of that particular genre congregate.

People said the same thing about fps on consoles, then goldeneye and halo happened…

All it takes is the right game

So…back on topic: Ravi has mentioned on the neogaf threads that the xbox patch is now in a testing phase and it sounds like lab zero has created a patch that is acceptable to M$.

Quote:

It’s one of the reasons 360 games tend to not get more than one or two patches.
The first one is free, but we had to burn it on an update that MS demanded that no one would have encountered.

In the very first version, if you had a non-standard controller plugged in like a flight stick or a guitar, when you started Skullgirls you couldn’t get past one of the OS menus until you unplugged it. This was a must-fix TRC issue, and we were forced to comply even though we didn’t expect anyone would ever encounter it.

…Meanwhile, we have people reporting load times of up to 6 minutes on Xbox 360. That’s also a TRC issue, but we can’t get that patch free.

And, yeah, the patch will end up costing more. That’s just the submission cost to Microsoft. We still need to do more testing, and it took a lot of effort to get the patch into a state they would accept, too.

Source: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=515786&page=21

And here I am, patchless. Just as my ability to do combos in this game is actuaaly kinda sorta starting to pick up too.

Oh well, that’s life.

The third mystery character is gonna come out before we get the patch #Kappa

Nope, at the very worst, you get the 3rd character delayed because it needs the patch to run.

Actually worst case scenario is “patch comes with Squigly”.

Yeah, but even squigs needs to get through certification, that’s what I meant.

Though the latest news is that they figured out how to get around the patch size problem, I seriously doubt they will release the patch until all well after all three new characters have been released. Why? XBox lets developers apply one free patch to their game, then after that each patch costs $40,000. Seriously, google it. A bug in Fez couldn’t be fixed because of this, and Awesomenauts hasn’t had any new characters added since their first patch because of this (while the PC Steam version has been continuously updated many times with new characters.)

So their options are either pay $40,000 or wait a year or whatever until the new characters have been released and everything is stable and balanced, then release everything in one giant huge patch. Sure they might be able to use the crowdfunded money for this, but I didn’t notice anything about that in the campaign, and with how long the game has been unpatched it seems like arbitrarily wasting $40k to get the 360 patched before the new characters is unlikely.

Mike Z has been working on yet another version of the Xbox patch for about a week. He says they if it continues to be held up he will try to release in the same files as Squigly when she is released this summer(hopefully) because the patch is required for her to be played on either system.

Also I’m sure you just made a typo, but there will be 5 DLC characters not 3 lol

Yeah, I hope Phil Fish chokes on his own bullshit. It’s not that it couldn’t be fixed, it’s that Phil Fish couldn’t be bothered to pay for it. Despite the game selling 100,000s of copies and the cash money awards he got from indie game contests, he’s basically said, most people won’t run into the bug that borks all your progress and save data, so F those who do, I still get paid. I can understand pointing out M$s BS and complaining about it, but then at the end of the day you bite the bullet and release the patch (like LZ is doing, even though there isn’t a game breaking glitch) because you want to get/keep fans.

Apparently, the value of goodwill vs. cash money in my pocket is no contest for Mr. Fi$h.

In the case of Awesomenauts they’ve been trying to talk their publisher into paying for the patch costs of new characters but word on the street is that it hasn’t been going well as new purchases are almost exclusively happening on steam so the publisher isn’t seeing the value vs. cost.

Well, if that 40k submission fee is true, then i cant see lz paying 200 k just to submit 5 new characters… That would be stupid, especially for a company as financially strapped as lz is… Though i do remember hearing that submitting new characters for download isnt comsidered as a patch by ms, so the characters can make it in… But that may be bullshit.

All i i know is that ms treatment of the sg team, the sg game, sg’s fans, and these archaic patching policies, means that i wont be buying that new xbox. Fuck that. Ms can eat a dick.

Exactly. Their policies are just unnecessary, they’re predatory and I can’t support that.

well, yeah, they pretty much made sure that I’m not buying another Xbox with 2 things: they’re predatory MS first stance and the whole always online BS.

Yeah the whole skullgirls fiasco makes the Sony social media sharing machine sound pretty good. Also Venus you got xbox? I’d be down for getting embarrassed on SG later.