What's the best Xbox360 PCB to use in my custom stick?

Hello,
I’ve recently become interested in building my own custom stick to get ready for the new breed of fighters coming out and to play HD Remix on something other than an Xbox360 D-pad :arazz:

It seems to be a relatively straightforward project but the one thing that concerns me is having to hack a pad in order to wire up the buttons and joystick. I’ve been doing a lot of reading about it in last few days and I’ve found out that my wired MS controller can’t be used because it doesn’t have a common ground.

So what would be the best Xbox360 controller to use given that I need a common ground and that I’ve never hacked a pad before.

the madcatz classic joystick has common ground, and can be easily found on target.com

though if you have some luck you might find it in a bargin bin at gamestop or something,

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagrams/

This page has guides for all common ground and non-common ground hacks.

PS you don’t NEED a common ground, it is just easier.

I don’t think I can use a non-common ground pcb with a Sanwa JLF stick though.

You mean this thing right? http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagrams/360_diagram2.jpg

I notice it says “late version” in the picture. Is this important? Do the earlier versions also have a common ground?

I wonder if that new MadCatz microphone for Rock Band has a decent PCB.

its wireless tho…hmmm…

this is the best. its common ground and easy to hack. buy it at gamestop /close

You can use a jlf wiht a non common ground. YOu just have to cut the traces on the pcb and solder directly to the micro switches.

for the jlf you can use a non-destructive method by desoldering where the microswitches attach to the printed circuit board. Then solder wires to each microswitch.

If you want a wired solution, the Madcatz/Gamestop pad is the easiest to solder to by far as the pads are nice and big, plus it’s common ground (makes wiring alot easier)

If you want wireless, you’ll have to use the M$ controller as there’s no other option.

What about the triggers? I heard that I have to add resistors somewhere in order for them to properly function as buttons.

That’s right, you can either leave them there and fix them so they don’t move (glue in place) or remove them and solder in a resistor, in place of it.

You’ll hear pros and cons of either way. I personally removed mine as they took up too much space and have no problems with button inputs.

The one I got from there matched up fairly close to the pcb, but all the solder points are the same (nice and big too), and was a common ground. I have no idea if its earily or late edition though.