What's needed to play import games on PS2?

good luck ps2 modchip sellers are hard to find now. everyone stopped carrying em.

"/

maybe modchip.ca?

you’d have to go to ps2 forums to get someone to solder/install it though

haha I sent mine with my friend to saudi arabia ove rwinter break to get it repaired and modded.

A note about Swap Magic:
It also seems to have a set list of compatible games. One can be found here:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/176791

The above list is a little old and there has been at least one newer version of Swap Magic released, but it is actually criticized to some extent for worsened compatibility, according to Wikipedia:

There is another (crude-looking) compatibility list at www.swapmagic3.com

Obviously that “Vast” project might be better, but I haven’t seen any news on it lately, and in fact some people challenge the prognosis of it actually being released.

Not true, from my experience nearly every game can be converted directly from Ps2 drive with no problems. The few times i had to transfer via cable from the comp like you said, is if the game disc was scratched a bit too much for the PS2 drive to read properly. Otherwise i rarely go that route.

Perhaps your Ps2 itself just has a hard time with this stuff, or the titles you tried were too dirty/scratched. Do you have a list of these games that you think cannot be transferred directly? I’d be curious to know what they are.

once again you’re trying to argue against facts but i should have been clear about this. anyways what i ment was DVD-9 games/dual layer games. those games cannot be copied directly to the ps2 harddrive via hdadvance, because its second layer doesnt get read and the game wont work(GT4 will get installed as a 3gig game). these games need to be ripped to the pc and transferred to the ps2hd via winhipp/lord bugamis whatever thats called

actually hd advance 3.0 is the first version able to play dvd9 games although it cant rip them directly you still need to do the pc rip. on top of that hdadvance 3.0 cant play god of war II even if it was a pc to ps2 transfer you need hdloader but you can boot hdloader off of hdadvance. even then i still recommend hdloader because its FREE all you need is a ps2 memory card, psx game and a way to put shit on the memory card (swapmagic,a friend with a chipped ps2, hdloader/advance, or cheatdiscs like actionreplay)

http://www.ps2hd.com/list/
this list is out of date but there are more dvd-9 games i think around 10-15 sorting by media type only shows some you have to go through each page by hand "/

Grand Turismo 4
God of War 1 and 2
Xenosaga I
Rouge Galaxy
are the on hand games i know of

EDIT: much love to everyone <3 the more you know the less you spend.

I only speak from experience which i have plenty of when it comes to Hdadvanced, as its a staple of my PS2 gaming set-up. Which i’ve rarely had any problems converting a DVD-5 title from disc drive unless it was scratched up or something.

You didn’t mention that you were speaking of DVD-9’s though. In that case i agree that they don’t do so well, God of War I for example appeared to transfer completely from the PS2 drive, but then would always freeze up halfway through at a certain point.

i speak from experience as well, ive been using hdloader and trigger discs for well over 3-4 years starting off with hdadvance 1.0 and working my way up. being a member for a long time in ps2scene and ps2hd (now consoleexploits) boards.

another problem is you can’t install burnt games on to hdadvance. that needs to be pc ripped as well.
and yea like i said when you try to install a dvd9 its gonna partially install the game and it wont work regardless of what ever witchcraft you try. trust me i’ve tried all this shit before first hand.

Ok now i agree with the rest you said but NOT that, although you didn’t specify if that was DVD-5 or 9 games though.

Because burned DVD-5 titles indeed CAN be converted directly from the PS2 drive. It is part of the beauty of HDadvanced.

Edit: nvm…Didn’t read the previous posts -_-;

when i last used hdadvance you couldnt because ps2 cannot read backups with out being tricked (swap card) and i dont care to investigate because pc to ps2 is VASTLY superior.

hdadvance is still a scam i mean hdloader is free, is updated every few months, can be ran off a memory card, has the 2nd highest hd game compatibility and did i mention its free? absolutely free.
and what hdadvance is, is its literally hdloader with one of the updates and a special skin that replaces the hdloader skin with hdloader on two discs. hdadvance is out of date too, hdloader can play god of war II, tales of the abyss and others, and hdadvance can’t. and i didnt pay a dizzime.

if vampiro bags that DMS4PRO S.E then he can run Toxic OS to play ps2 games off the HD.

and ToxicOS has the highest game compatibility out of of the ps2 hd programs

As for converting burned games, i’ve done it plenty of times, even once as a demonstration for a friend who wanted to know if HDadvanced would convert a burned game. It can and does work.

As for HDloader, i’ve never used it. Once i looked into getting it but could not find it except the one you pay for. By then i already bought HDA and didn’t see the point in it.

The few games i’ve run into that HDA would not work with, were titles like Alpha anthology, darkstalkers collection, and Battle coliseum.

you ARE using hdloader thats the thing.
its just a different skin so it says hdadvance.
and you can still run updated versions of hdloader through hdadvance. so you can play newer games that dont work with hdavance 3.0(aka hdloader .5c or something)

if you’re interested in that go to consoleexploits and read the absolute noob thread.

I’ll have to take Button_m4sh’s side on this debate. HDLoader/HDAdvance does NOT support the transfer of burnt games directly from your PS2’s DVD drive into your HD. You’ll either have to do it from your PC, or with the aid of something that’ll trick your PS2 into thinking it’s a legit game (modchip) or use the swap trick (with a fliptop/slide card) to make the system think that the original disc is still in the system when you swap.

The closest they’ve gotten with the memory card mod that’s out right now is the Memento firmware patch with a Memor32 memory card. From my understanding, all Memor32 memory cards use the same magicgate encryption ID (whereas each memory card usually have a different IDs) and the Memento firmware team just uses that as a base for their firmware.

The drawback with the Memento patch is that it only works with the Memor32 at the moment (which in itself is already expensive), and currently, you have to actually patch your ISOs for it to boot the games up. This could be fixed in a later firmware update, I imagine.

Like i already stated, i’m a longtime user of HDadvanced and i have converted burned (DVD-5)games direct in the PS2 drive many times.

It transfers virtually the same as an original game would do. My Ps2 has no fliptop or other stuff on it either, only the Hard Drive inside.

I don’t know what you guys are doing wrong that prevents yours from working as easily, or if my PS2 is somehow special in some way, but it works for me :confused: